Bio-diesel in Wiltshire

GBMUD

not a complete hijack of your thread I hope, but how do you know what the the stuff in the biodiesel pumps is? diesel/bio mix or 100 bio diesel?

As I understand it they will tell you. I bought some in Ashbourne once, Rix IIRC, and it said it was 5% bio.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

There is a chap in Highworth selling it. he's a farmer and "grows" it himself (although all totally legit).

I'll get his contact details, another mater of mine in highworth runs his mundano and mitzi 4x4 people carrier thingy on it and raves about it.

Chris, will we get a nice rural smell when we are green laning following your truck instead of the usual black pong?

LOL :rolleyes:

Much more an "urban" smell I would say.

I understand you had to get a flat-bed taxi home on Sunday? Bloody unreliable V8s. :)

Chris

Not the V8, it was the oil pressure switch leaking oil and not sending the correct messages to the instrument panel. I guess for a part designed by Land Rover to have lasted 10.5 years is not too bad! After examination tonight I could have carried on home in the NAS, but when the oil light comes-on you call up the yellow taxi!

Anyway, cheaper in the Citroen diesel estate which they lent me to get home!

LOL

Chris,

I know of nowhere and even in Hants I have only found one site in 'Bashingstaaak' that does the 5%bio/95%mineral diesel :angry:

You'd think if the Pony Bluur's were serious about greener fuels they would at least be insisting that all trunk road/motorway gas stations sold it! The new Somerfields at Solstice Park on the A303 doesn't even sell LPG! :o

Jim,

I may also be interested in details of the Highworth chap if you could drop over a PM? :)

Not the V8, it was the oil pressure switch leaking oil and not sending the correct messages to the instrument panel. I guess for a part designed by Land Rover to have lasted 10.5 years is not too bad! After examination tonight I could have carried on home in the NAS, but when the oil light comes-on you call up the yellow taxi!

Anyway, cheaper in the Citroen diesel estate which they lent me to get home!

LOL

So, is the oil pressure switch a part of the V8 or not Dave? :)

Citroen Diesel eh? :D

I know of nowhere and even in Hants I have only found one site in 'Bashingstaaak' that does the 5%bio/95%mineral diesel

You'd think if the Pony Bluur's were serious about greener fuels they would at least be insisting that all trunk road/motorway gas stations sold it! The new Somerfields at Solstice Park on the A303 doesn't even sell LPG!

It was the impending budget that got me thinking really. There is a place near Weston-super-mare that sells it, 5% or 50% or a place in Stroud doing 100%. Both are too far distant for me. I will have to see if I can find some when I next venture back to Sussex.

Cheers

Chris

Where in Stroud?

On the road that you drive in on from Bath - in between Nailsworth and Stroud. It is up a small road on the left hand side, following a small carved wooden sign.

I have just e-mailed them, asking whether they do a 'red' - tax free version for my 'generator'? Would be very interested at a lower price, especially if it didn't need to be dyed red - don't like getting the dye on my hands, you see......

Would a 300Tdi need any sort of modification to run on the stuff?

How much is the bloke in Highworth charging for it, because if it isn't too much more expensive and the truck would not need modifications, I would be interested, especially as Highworth is only 10 minutes away from home.

Guest diesel_jim

How much is the bloke in Highworth charging for it, because if it isn't too much more expensive and the truck would not need modifications, I would be interested, especially as Highworth is only 10 minutes away from home.

I don't know what he's charging, best give him a shout.

where in Shriv are you? i used to live at Bourton with my folks, now in Purton w/ GF.

have you got a red 90? i've seen one parked down one of the side streets off of the Ashbury road.

• 1 year later...

LR only recommend a 5% bio to normal diesel mix for all their diesel engines, any higher bio % it's upto the owner if they take the chance.

Not Biodiesel but i've used between 50% and 100% SVO (straight vegetable oil) for the past year in my 200tdi 90. The smell is a bit invasive if you've got your windows open and not moving, but not had any trouble with my oil going gloopy or the engine gunking up.

Kind regards

i've been running 20-30% SVO in my 300 Tdi since i've had it (15 months) and in my previous one for 3 years.. only problem i had was the injector leak-off hose perished on my old 300Tdi, cost about £2 and 10 mins to replace all of them with a higher spec hose...

I was under the impression that ALL diesel sold needs to be 5% bio, if not now then very soon. Its an EU directive IIRC. A mate ran his 300 tdi on 100 SVO till the crankshaft snapped. Sump was found to be full of treacle! Biodeisel and SVO are not comparable though. I used to run my Peugeot van on 100% biodiesel in Germany al the time with no ill effects. It was about 2 pence a litre cheaper at the pumps. There is a company on the web will deliver Biodiesel to your premises (if you have space) in one of those white square 1000 IBC containers. Used to be about 95 pence a litre so becoming more viable...

found the link:

http://www.biofuelsystems.com/shop/product...?products_id=99