Land rover Agricultural vehicle

Sorry to say all the useful loopholes here have been well and truly closed up! Your only option is to retax it in the "limited use" category which only allows you to travel 1.5 km on the highway and then only between land owned by yourself and expressly for agricultural purposes. Fine if that is what you need but otherwise not much use to most people!

Guest noggy

^^ that still assumes its being registered as a CAR for agricultural use, you can register a landrover as TRACTOR and a different set of rules apply.

But ofcourse for a land rover to be a tractor, it needs to meet certain criteria, which would seriously destroy any offroading ability.

To be honest, normal tax is a lot easier and less risky!

some one we work for has a 110 that is in that class and it does carry some restrictions as said above but they only use it for going to there woods and back but its more like 3-4kms (leagal or no i dont no) and i also does not need an mot last month they asked me to have a look at it because there was brake fluid leaking out of one of the calipers and what had happend was the pads had worn down month/years ago this wore out the disk making one of the pistons pop out in doing the job i found that 2 of the track rods had load of play in them and the radius arm bushes were that worn the axle moved 1" when undoing the wheel nuts and they said that the reguley check it over

i queried this recently as we live on farmland, i was told any vehicle used on the road for normal driving has to be using white diesel, unless it is being used specifically in agriculture, then you can use red on the road, but there is also a distance limit, you can only go so far from the land owned.

if you drive a tractor on the road and its not for agricultural use (popping to the shops maybe?!) then it would have to be filled with white diesel.

the problem i came up with is; if thats the case, then any white you put in will be tainted red, so how do you tell? do you have to drain your tank of red and then fill up with white? well technically yes, you do, but if you had a recent receipt from a filling station for white diesel, and you could convince the person that any colouring of diesel has come from the tank or fuel system then you'd probably be ok.

that said, they can seize and crush your car now, so is it worth the risk? :unsure:

I wouldnt even consider attempting to avoid paying tax or using red diesel. Plod seems so intent on taking as many landrovers off the road as possible at the moment its best to give them no amunition at all, only adds to spoiling it for everyone else ;)

if you drive a tractor on the road and its not for agricultural use (popping to the shops maybe?!) then it would have to be filled with white diesel.

The main "road" I can see would be hedge cutting or grass cutting when a significant amount of the time would be on public roads. In that case white diesel would be needed.

A neighbour did hedge cutting for the council a while ago and used to drive the tractor home, it was fully road regestered I think as PLG. Used to upset the neighbour over the road no end as he always parked it in front of her house (she also regularly complained about the land rover or any older vehicle "lowering the tone"), she called the police several time who confirmed that since it had road tax there was nothing they could do.

Not certain but I am sure I heard something a while back about phasing out red diesel.

Can I run my vehicle on rebated heavy oil (red diesel)?

Only 'excepted vehicles' (Public Notice 75 - Appendix C) can use rebated heavy oil (red diesel) as fuel when used on the public road.

Using rebated heavy oil as road fuel in anything other than an 'excepted vehicle' may render that vehicle liable to seizure. Also, financial penalties may be imposed on the owner/driver of the vehicle.

Public Notice 75 Fuel for diesel vehicles provides further, detailed information.

from H M Revenue & Customs

the road use i was thinking about was; recently the farmer helped out at a charity village fete by using the tractor to pull floats around the village, technically for that he should have used white diesel (which i'm sure he did)

but if a tractor is registered and taxed as plg then you could really use it on the road whenever you felt like it, or when you wanted to upset other drivers!

but it would have to be running on white diesel.... :)

but i agree with anaconda, for the few hundred quid a year you'd save, it's not worth having your vehicle seized.

i queried this recently as we live on farmland, i was told any vehicle used on the road for normal driving has to be using white diesel, unless it is being used specifically in agriculture, then you can use red on the road, but there is also a distance limit, you can only go so far from the land owned.

true to a certian extent, if you are just popping up the road to borrow a trailer or go to your other piece of land it is fine to run on red yes, however, if you are, say, silage carting on the road all day or all week etc you should fill up with white, even though it is still strictly agricultural purposes.

mikey

however, if you are, say, silage carting on the road all day or all week etc you should fill up with white, even though it is still strictly agricultural purposes.

again not strictly true - it depends if you are carting agricultural material for your own use(red)/hire or reward(haulage-white)/contracting(pink? I don't know). I believe that the wording is something like "occupying two pieces of land". I'm not sure what the legal definition of occupation is, mind!

hi

to my knowledge contractors are ok as long as you employed to do the whole job like foraging not just hauling from the field to the farm where you would count as a haulier and need white diesel, operators license etc.

matt

Sorry to say all the useful loopholes here have been well and truly closed up! Your only option is to retax it in the "limited use" category which only allows you to travel 1.5 km on the highway and then only between land owned by yourself and expressly for agricultural purposes. Fine if that is what you need but otherwise not much use to most people!

to do it it has to be MOT and as Orgasmic Farmer posted you will only be able to drive from one bloke of land to the other max of 1.5km

Even tractors used for road work should be run on white diesel. Look at any your local council own.

if a tractor is being used for agricultural purposes red diesel can be used.

council tractors are not doing any thing for agricultural purposes so have to use white.

going it to it all would take a week