Roof Tents

baldy

We are now starting to seriously look in to getting a roof tent for our Mk 1 Discovery,

Questions are as follows

Recomended makes ? I am 6' 3" and like to stretch out at night and t'missus likes a comfy kip

Are they stable ??

How easy to errect/dismantle at night/morning

And finally best place to go look Billing / Newark or others

Many Thanks

Baldy

Mine rooftent is up for sale now as I'm making an overland camper - good solid piece of kit (Autocamp), bought from Frogs Island

drop me a pm if you're interested, it'll be a good price.

Which model ? how easy to erect etc please

Baldy

We've got a Howling Moon 1.4m tourer, Im 6'5" and have no problems stretching out with room to spare. I've had better sleeps in the RTT than my proper bed at home-not sure if its all the fresh air or the fact the tent is pitch black inside as the material is really thick. The mattress is nice and supportive even though its 'only' 3" thick.

The Mrs has a Selk3 down sleeping bag and loves it;

http://www.lippiselkbag.co.uk/store.cfm?deptid=56

The rooftent itself takes approx 5 minutes to put up once you've got the routine sorted. The drop down extension room-if your stopping somewhere for a few days and want to make 'basecamp' takes a bit longer as it requires some pegging out much like a tent.

Stability is good but depends on your suspension I guess, in high winds at Silverstone I felt the truck rocking slightly one night but then drifted off again.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4337/dsc00200largeo.jpg

I have a Eezi Awn 1.4m T-Top fitted on top of a Patriot rack :i-m_so_happy:

There is more than enough space for 2 of us, and I am just under 6 foot.

Stability is certainly not a problem, in fact I find it quite soothing when there is a bit of wind rocking the vehicle, but it is hardly ever going to fall over!

The hardest thing I found, was getting used to getting down from the tent. You sometimes have to flail around with your foot trying to find the ladder on your first few times getting out.

As for erection times (ooh er!) you can get one up in a matter of minutes if you were desperate for shelter, but they take a bit of time if you were to make a camp worthy of staying in for more than a couple of days, especially if you fit the add on shower skirt. Mine has the option to peg out all the doors and windows for added ventilation, and due to the height off the ground, takes longer than the equivalent task on a ground tent.

Putting one away takes about 15 minutes or so I guess, as there are several procedures in place to make sure that they are 100% secure when the vehicle is moving.

Personally, I would not skimp on something like a tent (both a roof and a ground for that matter) and spend a bit of money on something that will last a very long time.

I would only ever use one of the big names. Eezi Awn (my personal choice for overlanding) Howling Moon or Hannibal. Although I guess each has its own pro's and cons.

I happen to know of someone selling an Eezi Awn Series 3 with a shower skirt included, for a VERY good price if your interested.

Martin

I've been using a Prime Tech Tents USA 1.4m tent for the last two years and i love it, I've spent about 60 nights in it so far and i definately won't be going back to a ground tent.

It goes up and down in a matter of minutes, great for when it raining. The matress is 8' long so plenty of room and memory foam so nice and comfy. As Rusty says, they are very dark inside which was very usefull in Iceland. I've spent a few nights in rough weather and never had a problem with it moving (HD springs on the landy). Mine was bought on German Ebay.

post-7-1247149784_thumb.jpg

The tent I'm flogging is a 1.6m Auto camp MarcoPolo - German made and good quality. Plenty o room inside!

Roof tents are generally very stable, much more so than a ground tent as they are in general built around a sturdy metal folding frame bolted to a braced ply floor. time to put up varies on the model - I can open mine in about 2 mins and put it away in about five - 90% of the time is taken up by getting the cover on and off.

Magiolinas are very quick and easy to put up but cost the earth and are a bit cramped inside.

The thing with a 1.6m though, is that, yes they have a ton of room inside (you would be surprised at the difference of 20cm makes between each of the sizes 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6) but they hang over the vehicle a load on the sides.

When I was in the market for mine, I was convinced a 1.2 would be OK, but I tested both a 1.2 and a 1.4 at Nene Overland, and was amazed at the difference in room in the 1.4 I went on to get.

The thing with a 1.6m though, is that, yes they have a ton of room inside (you would be surprised at the difference of 20cm makes between each of the sizes 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6) but they hang over the vehicle a load on the sides.

it depends on which way the tent opens - mine is made to open over the side of the vihicle rather than over the front, so is no wider than any other - you can see on my avatar. The 1.6 Magiolinas do look monster wide!

I have heard that Beduin tents are pretty good, and I did briefly allow them to enter the equation when looking for my tent. Maybe they are worth an investigation to those in the market?

By the looks of the pictures in that link, it seems quite a small, confined tent, at least length-ways? The fold-out part of the base is disproportionatley shorter than the fixed part? Will that not take off a substantial amount of space?

The sleeping area of the Beduin tents vary for instance the sleeping area of the Explorer 1 is 2.05 x 1.25 whereas the Explorer 2 is 1.65 x 2.05m.

I would suggest that if Baldy is interested in rooftents that he has a good chat with Jon or Ellie on the Venture Overland stand at Billing. He can then decide if any of the Beduin tents suits his needs.

Regards

Brendan

it depends on which way the tent opens - mine is made to open over the side of the vihicle rather than over the front, so is no wider than any other - you can see on my avatar. The 1.6 Magiolinas do look monster wide!

The one Eightpot is selling folds up very small, and doesn't overhang at all if you bolt it on so it opens to the side..

Most of them will also fold up with your bedding inside...

Many thanks for all the information guys, we are going to Billing this Sat to have a good look at various options, we may also visit Newark on Sunday

Decision can then be made.

For those who offered s/hand , Thank you but we really need to have a look at kit first before we decide

Baldy

I'm also in the process of researching tents for an overlanding trip next yr to Botswana & Namibia. After considering the various brands, I'm tending towards a Hannibal Impi.

the only problem with this setup is the weight @ 60kg, BUT one does not need a roofrack (weight of +-30kg), and forces one not to pack heavy stuff on the roof.

I reckon with this kind of setup, you will end up with a COG that is lower than with a roofrack + tent + jerrycan, etc.

Well, seeing as nobody else has mentioned them, Myway could be another option.

They do a lightweight nylon jobbie or the traditional thick canvas one. Having used both I'd definitely opt for canvas, especially if you are going anywhere that doesn't have a night-time!

Jen and I used ours every night for 5 months while on our little jolly and it fit the bill perfectly for us. It has survived many storms, including two that brought trees down. Ok, it was a bit noisy but you are going to get that in any tent when its windy.

Space wise, our 1.6m Myway has a double blow up matress in at the moment. This doesn't touch the edges of the tent which means when you get condensation it doesn't get the bedding wet. we also have a large area in from of the matress for boots and stuff.

The sales people will tell you that their tents don't suffer from condensation due to this technological doo dar or that unique canvas fibre they use... my view is thats all cobblers! Condensation seems to be an issue in all canvas tents, its just the degree of dampness that varies. Ventilation seems to be the key (or not breathing!!) so make sure whatever you get has ventilation.

Trouble with roof tents is its quite a personal thing, for example I couldn't live with a maggie, where as others swear by them. They are pretty expensive things too, so make sure you do your research properly, try them all out, see how they look when packed away as well as erected. One of the big plus's of the Myway for us was that even with the pillows, bed, sleeping bags etc etc it still packs away pretty slim unlike things like the Howling moon which has that big sticky uppy ladder bit in the middle.

Another reason we chose the Myway is because the windows and doors can be opened up and your view is not obscured by bits of tent. A small consideration but if you are camping somewhere orgasmically beautiful it can be important.

I'm not sure if Myway are exhibiting or not at Billing, but if you want to have a look and feel, we'll be at Billing all weekend on the Camel Trophy stand, so feel free to come and grab us.

I am in no way associated with Myway, I'm just well impressed with the product and Paul is a genuinely nice chap.

Hope this helps.

Dan :)

• 2 weeks later...

Me and bro both have Hannibal 1.4M roof tents with Hannibal roof rack. I love this tent, it is really comfy, solidly built and really dark inside. Takes i would say 5-7mins up and 10min to pack away, not factoring in jumbo kits or awning. Only downside is urgent toilet trips in middle of night! (could just go from up top!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - (first post)

I've got the eezi- awn 1.6 series 3 i'm 6ft and there is still plenty of room

I bought it second hand with the shower curtain attachment for £450 delivered

You can get brand new ones for this price (ish) but I prefer the canvas quite alot, we travel with a duvet and pillows in moderate weather - its like waking up in your own bed!

It's nice and dark and doesnt hold the heat like most tents, I have not noticed any condensation as yet. but only got it in spring

really easy to set up (all the bedding stays inside the tent all the time) packing away takes a little to get the hang of but no real issues.

other tents I looked into but didn't go for.

hannibal - Great!..... but costly, even 2nd hand

Maggiolina - I didn't like the design,good for traveling and aerodynamic just not my cup o tea - they do one called overland but way too much ££ autohome

myway - very good - not bad price 2nd hand

echo - cheap @ £550 non canvas

prime tech - cheap and look well built (but didn't inspect closer) non canvas

few others but can't rememeber them

hope this helps

I'm portsmouth based and my tent is still on the roof, if you are local, you are welcome to have a look

christ - sorry for the whole blurb