3.9 RR EFi V8 Laid up for too long

Geminidawn

I have a 3.9 EFi V8 that has been laid up without turning over for some time. It ceased to run after a multitude of electrical problems that have now been sorted.

Now the problem is the engine itself since it has not run for a while it now dose not want to fire up. The engine was very stiff to begin with so both the engine and starter were serviced.

Now it now turns freely, it's got spark, compression and it's getting fuel but it just ain't firing. Everything has been tried to coax it back to life, ethanol, gas etc, etc. But it is just being stubborn.

Any ideas?

It's getting fuel where - to the fuel rail or coming out of the injectors?

Injectors, all systems are go and each time it's tried there is a few pops and bangs, the timing is sound but it just don't run. I have a feeling that once it dose start it will continue to do so but getting it past that inital hurdle is proving difficult.

How fast is it cranking, if not fast enough it will not fire

Make sure battery is fully charged, good earth and

cranking good and fast, clean plugs, clean rotor arm, and cap

..and give it a sqirt of Easy start maybe too :)

Nige

Cheers Nige, yeah, keeping the battery charged is a daily routine even tried a booster but the fast cranking is short lived before I have to leave it to charge up again. Also tried the Easy Start, a lot of back firing but no result. Plugs are new so are the leads. Will have a look at the rotor arm and cap though.

the fast cranking is short lived

I'd try jumping it from a running vehicle with a good battery, if it's not cranking fast then it sounds like your battery is dud. Also, be aware if the plugs foul up with too many failed starts they will need cleaning again - they won't start with fouled plugs even if everything else is perfect.

i am sure you've checked that but i have almost same sympthoms when timing was 360 degrees retarded. That was reason why i mentioned that.

In my case i had to turn crankshaft 360 degrees to TDC and set it again for 1st cylinder.

When it was incorrect it sometimes fired, but only due to residual fuel in cylinders.

If you are 100% sure everything is in the correct place and your dizzy hasn't been removed and then replaced 180 degrees out, I would then try the tow/ drag (kellyv8 :lol:) down the road (bump start).

I had a 3.5 on carbs which had similar symptoms (had been left and would pop and bang a bit). It did take about 15 minutes of constant trying on the starter to finally get it going (did let it cool between tries, but still not very good for the starter!). A bump start being towed would be a lot easier and gets the engine twirling a bit faster.

Failing that, I think it is back to the diagnostics.

youve tried all the technical stuff i would drag it up the road and try bump starting it :unsure:

Unfortunately this is not an option, where the engine was a bit stiff to begin with the wheels are absolutely solid but that is another days problem.

Back to what FridgeFreezer was saying I'm looking at the fuel distribution, sparks and electrics seem to be ok and the cylinders are getting fuel but I wonder if the fuel distribution is working as it should, some of them too much and some not enough. I'm going to remove the fuel rails and injectors as soon as I get a new O ring kit ordered in.

What is the best way of testing the injectors without having to bring the vehicle to a diagnostics centre (which is 50 miles away)?

Even with one or two duff injectors/plugs/leads/cylinders it will still run (albeit badly!). You have a system wide problem - I'd be looking again at the ignition system...it tends to be the weak point on these engines. The injection system may be poorly designed, but it tends to work.

Are you 120% sure the ignition timing isn't 180 degrees out?

A mate of mine had been changing an inlet manifold and distributor to convert a Vauxhall motor from carbs to EFI about and all it would do when it was put back together was pop and bang.

First thing i said was spark timing/lead order, but he assured me they were correct, he'd taken the cap off the old dizzy and clipped it onto the new one.

After many hours of head scratching i looked at the lead order myself, and they were completely wrong. after some more head scratching, we discovered that while the cap fitted both dizzys, it went on 90 degrees out of phase on the new one, and the leads all had to be moved round by one position.

If your getting fuel, air and a spark, it will start. You have fuel and air....

Tow/bump-starting not an option if it's automatic of course, but you knew that already..... :ph34r:

No it is a manual just that the wheels are solid. However I've since heard from the guy who sorted out the electrics and he said the problem may be with the main injection solenoid and wants to take another look at it before I start pulling it apart.

hi mate , how long stood up for , i had a classic stood for just over a year in that time the tappets had lost there oil due to draining, and a few didnt like being compressd for that long :huh: , poss it may just be dead tappets, ?????????????????????????, a good ole drag up zee road may sort it.

Didnt you already say you had fuel?

If your getting fuel the ECU is live, the pump is running and the injectors are firing. None of that would be happening if the managements relays were broken...

It's a hybrid so it's a custom wiring job. Since it was built there has been no end of electrical problems so I just had it re-wired recently, I can only imagine that there are still a few ghosts left in the machine. When we first turned it over there were some pops and bangs and there was petrol on some of the sparkplugs that were removed for inspection. The relays were checked and found to be ok. Whether if something has blown since it wouldn't suprise me, there is a lot of tracing back to do both electrical and mechanical.

I thought there would be a simple answer to this problem guess I'll have to leave it to someone who really knows what they're doing.

hi mate , how long stood up for , i had a classic stood for just over a year in that time the tappets had lost there oil due to draining, and a few didnt like being compressd for that long :huh: , poss it may just be dead tappets, ?????????????????????????, a good ole drag up zee road may sort it.

About the same as yours, over a year. I wish it was that simple. Everything in the engine was stiff to start with but since re-wiring it was oiled and serviced, on saying that not everything will run as freely as it should until it runs warm for a while.