LT230T identification

Hi

I am looking for an LT230T transfer box for my 200tdi defender. Is there any easy way of visually identifying the ratios etc on the transfer box (i believe the ratios are different for the discovery, and for the earlier LT230R-maybe somebody could correct me if I'm wrong !)

Appreciate any help!

Cheers

OilIT ;)

There may be a sticker on the rear face adjacent to the oil fill/level plug stating which ratio is fitted, if not serial number is/should be stamped in the casing below the circular rear cover. provided the box hasn't come from a 2.0litre Mpi Discvery all the other boxes have the same ratio's

Tdi disco, 1.2 ratio, Tdi defender, 1.4 ratio. 2.5 petrol defender 1.6 ratio. Can't remember what 2.5NA, 2.5 TD and V8 were. The info has been on here before, someone must know.. Or get the serial # and give Mr Ashcroft a ring....

• 3 years later...

To distinguish the two, LT230T have a big stake nut on the intermediate shaft (between the PTO cover and handbrake) while the LT230R don't, the intermediate shaft being retained by a small bit of metal held in with an ~M6 bolt.