dirty ropes

as above realy, i have been washing them when tensioned between two vechicles, but is there a beter way??

thanks

hamish

What do you wash them with when tensioned?

Mine go in a dust bin full or warm water and a dab of fairy washing up liquid and then get continuously dunked and lifted out for about 5 mins and then hung up to dry afterwards. Just like how people used to wash clothes!

Dave.

What do you wash them with when tensioned?

Mine go in a dust bin full or warm water and a dab of fairy washing up liquid and then get continuously dunked and lifted out for about 5 mins and then hung up to dry afterwards. Just like how people used to wash clothes!

Dave.

just a hose pipe.

that sounds like a beter way to do it. if i washed them straight after use it would probly help, instead ive left them for 3 weeks!! :ph34r:

I'd have thought washing them tensioned prevents any internal grit/rubbish etc getting out, as the fibres of the rope will all be taught, not letting the rubbish out.

Washing machine with socks over hard/heavy bits works a treat, have cleaned boat ropes that way for years.

Always take mine off, stick em in a bucket with some washing up liquid for the night then good old rinse with the hose pipe next day getting all the carp out of them. I wounldn't have thought under tension does the best job Hamish as the carp can't get out between the strands.

Oh and never jet wash them as it can damage the rope.

i take them off, stick them in a bucket of warm water and leave to soak, then find another two buckets and work each rope through the next two buckets of clean water, separating out the strands/fibers as i go to make sure the rope isin't damaged. Bowropes on Rogue Vogue have done 4 rounds of HW this year so far and no problems to date and thats reasonably hard on the ropes.

1stly - do not use cleaners such as washing up stuff ,liquid fairy washing powders

as this can degrade the rope and ultimately damage its resistances for future uses

Just get a big bucket of warm water, and waggle the rope in it as much

as you wnat to rem0ve grit dirt etc, do NOT under any circumstances

use a pressure washer on it as this just shoves the dirt further into

the rope rather that remove it

Big Bucket of clean warm water plus a giggle and then dry and respool is the

best you can do, much more is actually worse :(

Nige

Mine go in the washing machine , It has a drum shaped like a thrupenny bit ,but it does the job well , No soap or detergents whatsoever , but my co driver has requested the use of some fabric conditioner , The summer meadow one I think .

I stick mine in the washer on No4 (soft woollens and delicates) at 40*C with an extended rinse, put half a tub thing of Persil Original non-biological powder in the left hand draw, wrap the hook (if its still on) in rags and a couple of zip ties,

and then pray to dear God they're done and out of the washer before SHE gets home or it will death after a prolonged b*****ing,

and dont forget to get the grit out of the door seal and put the washer controls back to where it was before you started,

another tip is, do not under any circumstance let them know or suspect you have any idea of how the washer works, trust me

they have ways of knowing do the enemy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stick mine in the washer on No4 (soft woollens and delicates) at 40*C with an extended rinse, put half a tub thing of Persil Original non-biological powder in the left hand draw, wrap the hook (if its still on) in rags and a couple of zip ties,

and then pray to dear God they're done and out of the washer before SHE gets home or it will death after a prolonged b*****ing,

and dont forget to get the grit out of the door seal and put the washer controls back to where it was before you started,

another tip is, do not under any circumstance let them know or suspect you have any idea of how the washer works, trust me

they have ways of knowing do the enemy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't post information like this on a public forum. Imagine what would happen if it became public knowledge that we knew how that white thing with a window worked.