Clear to winch

jil6939

I notice the James has had a bollocking for not "shouting" clear to winch at the last event and so did we. The rules are the rules and we have no problems with that but things do move on and rules become obsolite do they not? eg( plasma rope and winch sails is always a hot topic). It just made me wonder what other everyone's thoughts are as here are mine. Not right or wrong just my thoughts...

I was told that the co driver had to shout CTW not just say it into the mike as we are using coms as are most people now. When ask'd why so was told it was for spectators not me. This cannot be right i always understood it as an instruction to me ie you are CTW from where i am if your clear at your end then carry on. Why does a spectator need to know im CTW. If you are sugesting that it allows them to get out the way then that has two points to it.

1. Im clearly not CTW and the co driver and myself are blind (quite possible that a blind spot exists from where we are both sat but the co driver has in effect walked the rope out.)

2.Mrs Smith that is out walking her dog and has NO interest in my hobby and is letting her dog eat my rope and cannot see me or the co driver hears a shout of CTW , understands what that means , and moves sharpish. Seems unlikely to me.

If we are using coms just talking CTW seems ok to me. If you listen at most events now there is very little shouting going on compaired to the past.

Thoughts please.......... :rolleyes:

step 1 `shout`clear for winching, this is a warning to people around you

step 2 `shout` winch in, is a the go message for the driver

i have used this for years its a safe system

as for winch hooks/plasma ropes as long as the saftey clasp is working i dont see the need for winch sails

At mamby no saftey clasp no compete

Winch sails have been dropped by Challenge South West for the Decider event for those running synthetic rope instead of wire

18) WINCH SAILS

a) The carrying of a winch sail is compulsory for all vehicles.

b) The use of winch sails is compulsory at all times for wire cable.

c) For synthetic rope the sail must be used as a warning on the cable if crossing in front of another vehicle, or when crossing any track or path.

d) Winch sails should be placed in the centre third of the winch rope.

e) The use of a bulldog clip to stop slipping of winch sails is advised on steep inclines

f) Should the winch sail need re-positioning, winching should be stopped prior to moving the sail.

g) Winch sails will not be allowed to be permanently secured to the rope or hook.

h) Winch sails will not be allowed to be rolled up in use on the winch rope.

I don't understand the rolled up winch sail rule at HW. We rolled ours up for round 2 and was told to un roll it by the scrutineers but nearly every one has theirs rolled onto the line. Odd

Maybe there needs to be a more clear view onto this rule

:huh:

I don't understand the rolled up winch sail rule at HW. We rolled ours up for round 2 and was told to un roll it by the scrutineers but nearly every one has theirs rolled onto the line.

My understanding of this is that you also need a 'loose' sail aswell so it can be used on either winch line as a marker,

Carl.

I like the shouting part, It means I am always the last one to talk/shout in an arguement between me and the driver as I can not here what he/she says. :lol:

serious note - - spectators are always wanting to get close to the action, because some feel they can do better than yourself etc etc, so sometimes they need that little bit of a awakening before you start winching. I always try to do it in one go, "clear to winch, winch in". If someone is hanging about too close for my liking they get told to step back etc etc, then once clear, say the verse. :)

simples.

When i shout i need to remember to move mic away so john's ears dont get a blast, with haedsets being used more and more less shouting goes on so people may start to forget,

Carl.

as for winch hooks/plasma ropes as long as the saftey clasp is working i dont see the need for winch sails

Odd not from where i was sitting as i saw at least one hook with no clasp

Odd not from where i was sitting as i saw at least one hook with no clasp

We had a hook without a gate on our top winch as it broke off. We had to change the rope 'cos other competitors were not happy. We then had to change the rear rope for the same reason.

I have tried for ages to get a supplier for the gates as I have 10 or more hooks without them. Its crazy having to buy a £7-£10 hook just to rob the gate off it. Can anyone point to a supplier for the gates. I am happy to buy loads of them as I know quite a few peeps who need them.

Calling CFW seems a bit pontless to me.

We had a hook without a gate on our top winch as it broke off. We had to change the rope 'cos other competitors were not happy. We then had to change the rear rope for the same reason.

I have tried for ages to get a supplier for the gates as I have 10 or more hooks without them. Its crazy having to buy a £7-£10 hook just to rob the gate off it. Can anyone point to a supplier for the gates. I am happy to buy loads of them as I know quite a few peeps who need them.

Calling CFW seems a bit pontless to me.

http://www.arinsdale.com/

they do repair kits for the hooks & mail order

Winch sails have been dropped by Challenge South West for the Decider event for those running synthetic rope instead of wire

I don't understand the rolled up winch sail rule at HW. We rolled ours up for round 2 and was told to un roll it by the scrutineers but nearly every one has theirs rolled onto the line. Odd

Maybe there needs to be a more clear view onto this rule

:huh:

i have also dropped winch sails from beg of this year on synthetic rope unless its across a track.

we have a rope protector which is a rolled up piece of red matting on the rope and the sail is a free flowing one.

its my fault i got the penalty i thought you only had to give the wng when winching outside of sections and i didnt give one and there we spectators nearby (who i had asked to move back) we had a warning from the marshall for that. The marshall stayed with us, we then entered the section, winched again inside it, with no CTW wng and got the penalty which is fair - my fault for not knowing the rules of shouting CTW EVERYTIME as i am sure everyone else does.

Bet they don't!

Harsh penalty if you are in a section and in direct contact via headset with your team mate.

rolled up sails are better than flapping ones getting trapped in fairleads all the time.

But rules is rules :)

I got a penalty for site speeding after the event whilst leaving the site to wash the car off prior to a 5hr drive home.

my fault as speeding is speeding.

step 1 `shout`clear for winching, this is a warning to people around you

step 2 `shout` winch in, is a the go message for the driver

i have used this for years its a safe system

Matecant ever remember you doing that :blink: