Which freelander road tyres have the lowest roll resistance?

simonr

A guy i know has a freelander td4 on some 165 wide tyres, it looks horrible but he gets extremely good fuel economy from it. I will try and get the exact size and make of them tommoro.

Excellent project, how does the stereo volume effect the range? :lol:

Will.

A guy i know has a freelander td4 on some 165 wide tyres, it looks horrible but he gets extremely good fuel economy from it. I will try and get the exact size and make of them tommoro.

Excellent project, how does the stereo volume effect the range? :lol:

That would be good!

So long as I steer clear of car HiFi in excess of 50kw, I think it should be fine!

For my cab heater (the motor and controller, although liquid cooled, only produce a few hundred watts of heat) I'm using a 3kw electric shower heater. The car is 180v - so it will deliver about 2kw. Although that seems a lot - it's only 6% of my range if it were going full blast. If it goes well - I'm thinking about a dash mounted Expresso maker for the journey ;)

Si

Sorry for the delay, I have only just seen the freelander in question.

Turns out the tyres are 195/80 15's, it has the following brands on it:

Bridgestone dueler

Maxxis radial 751

Falken landair AT

Marshel roadventure AT

Could you not get some larger alloys and narrow them to take motorbike tyres :ph34r:

Will.

I tried cycling - once! Although it's a trivial distance, it's a fast, busy route through narrow twisty country lanes - often used as a rat-run by BMW drivers! I was so terrified by the end of the trip that I swore never again!

More range is desirable - but to achieve it, it's expensive. If I were to scrap the Freeloader in favour of something much lighter and aerodynamic (Ariel Atom perhaps?) and replace the lead acid batteries with as many LiFePo cells as it could carry - I think 100 to 150mile range is achievable. However, I decided to build what I actually need at the moment (6 mile range) for a trivial cost (less than £1000 all in). The expensive components can in the future be re-used in something lighter, faster, longer range as my requirements dictate.

I've not had a quote for the insurance yet - although they indicated it would be similar to the original Freelander. Once I have the report, I might shop around a little!

Si

That's the plan. My workshop has a separate mains feed from the house (as well as a feed from the house). I'll get the workshop feed converted to Economy 7which halves the cost of power for charging over night.

Si

• 3 weeks later...

Great news - it's on the road!

Having waited two weeks for NFU's underwriters to come back with a quote - I rang Adrian Flux, who offered me cover immediately for £260 comp with full business use - I bit their arm off and took it for it's first spin on the road.

Apart from the battery being a bit flat - it went really well!

Si

Yes - but having tried it on the road, it needs a bit of tweaking!

Many of the scrap batteries, were scrap for good reason. I've swapped out 8 out of 15 today. Also, the uber-long prop shaft needs balancing - above 30mph there is one hell of a lot of vibration!

I got up to a top speed of 55 today - which wasn't too bad. Would have gone faster but the vibration shook a connection apart which brought me sailing to a stop.

Si