Peterborough

davie

:) Well 9 hrs later thats us home so quicker than the way there.

Will post some photos next day or so once i get them off the cd. Good to meet folks off here, two simons, landrovers forever, g8 mud and i think doc?

Time for a beer or two then bed. Hope everyone had safe journeys home.

davie

I enjoyed the weekend, despite being without a Landrover at the moment!

Only thing that I didn't like was being shaken out of bed on Saturday morning by the halfwit camped behind us who felt the need to fire-up a large petrol generator just to power a toaster!

..The generator then went back on half an hour later to power his wifes hair straighteners!

some people just don't get the whole camping thing ;o)

Had a great weekend with the Camel club, weather on Saturday was superb, relaxed a lot, met up with a few people... very chilled!! :)

But if I'd had to pay to get in I would have been mighty disappointed.

Show was ok... felt like there was a lot of big name traders missing, but I presume thats because there are so many shows these days, they can't go to all of them :rolleyes:

Sodbury Sortout... what a joke! First one I've been to since all the shananigans when the old sod moved it away from Newbury. I reckon there was probably more jumble in the actual show.

Dan

Chris- don't forget the berk in the rather too tight outfit riding his little bike about smashing in to everything... Moment of the weekend had to be when he tried to pull away on the single wheeled version- forgot to put it in gear and smashed straight down on his face... Closely followed by him falling sideways off the ramp and the bike landing on top of him. To be fair I was amazed that he managed not to swear into the mic at any point!

Oh and we were contemplating throwing Superpro bushes at Thurston to shut him up ("I am going to talk to the gays in these Landrovers..."- Freudian slip or what!) but thought that we might get a little shouted at!

:) Found the best ever showers there this year, the permenant block to rear of the bar/cattle sheds, endless hot water!

Did miss most of the displays in the main arena as we were on the off road course at the time. Spent about half an hr this afternoon washing out one headlight - christ the mud sets like concrete after a while, rest will be done this weekend.

Hope theres no import tax on english mud accross the border into scotland - seem to have brought soooo much home with me :P

Am I to assume there are many people like me who just can`t stand Thurston? :i-m_so_happy:

I formed a poor opinion of Jerry Thurston when he was on television but having done some television myself I know that is not real life and filming/editing techniques can portray people quite differently to how they might come across in real life - Craig Charles comes across as a nice guy on telly! I have not exchanged more than a few pleasantries with JT face to face so I do not know him well enough to dislike him. I do, however, find his interest in old series and mending stuff for the sake of it rather dull and for that reason his arena commentary gets on my tits. That, and having heard it too many times!

Chris

Thankfully we avoided the arena stuff like the plague all weekend, caught sight of the chap on the trials bike as we walked past (at least he has some talent!) but as for the dull parades of old bangers, dogs jumping through hoops and people driving one wheel up a ramp... does anyone find it entertainment?

I don't know what they should have in the arena, or if they should even bother, but for me the current 'entertainment' falls well short of the mark

Unlike me Joe90, you had the option of walking away and not listening to him. I also had to endure birds of prey, duck herding, motorbike stunts and hours of Steve Wells' twisting one off.

Chris

as for the dull parades of old bangers, dogs jumping through hoops and people driving one wheel up a ramp... does anyone find it entertainment?... ....for me the current 'entertainment' falls well short of the mark

Judging by the crowds of people looking, yes, some people do enjoy it. I even watched the motorbike guy once.

Moment of the weekend had to be when he tried to pull away on the single wheeled version- forgot to put it in gear and smashed straight down on his face...

I assumed that was deliberate? He certainly did it the time I watched too which was on the Sunday morning. I noticed he had the same 'volunteer' from the crowd on at least three occasions.

Chris

I formed a poor opinion of Jerry Thurston when he was on television but having done some television myself I know that is not real life and filming/editing techniques can portray people quite differently to how they might come across in real life - Craig Charles comes across as a nice guy on telly! I have not exchanged more than a few pleasantries with JT face to face so I do not know him well enough to dislike him. I do, however, find his interest in old series and mending stuff for the sake of it rather dull and for that reason his arena commentary gets on my tits. That, and having heard it too many times!

Chris

My mate, who's a Prison Officer at Belmarsh, would beg to differ ;)

I didn't have to listen to him all weekend, but in small doses, I don't think that Jerry is that bad :rolleyes:

I quizzed him on Saturday morning about the point of these show "restorations" - was it for charity? - who's vehicles are they? - who pays for the parts?

He told me that they were his vehicles, he pays or contributes towards the parts and after they're finished he sometimes uses them for a while, but ultimately he sells them to finance the next "restoration".

He also told me that he charges the show organisers £30 an hour to be there - ooh!, you're cheap, I said - fortunately, he found that amusing :lol:

My first time at peterborough for a show! I enjoyed the show :D

JT is extremely annoying... i do feel sorry for Xeng/GBMUD for having to hear it and not get away from it! I have never understood why they need non land rover things in the arena such as the falconry, or the highly irritating bloke in a multicoloured condom driving a bumble bee!!

the 'extreme driving demonstration' didnt really live up to the name... skips would have been more interesting!

Unlike some, i do enjoy watching the twist off ramp... But it drives me mad when the bloke on the microphone doesnt seem to know what he is talking about and says things like 'this one has rose jointed trailing arms' when it clearly has Xarms!

Cash machines didnt like me on sunday; I stopped to get money out on the way there... was out of order. Then the one in the showground looked like it had been broken into! Thanks to Si from Xeng for the cashback! saved my stomach and the rest of the day ;).

Going by the two different toilet blocks I used... they were far worse than billing have ever been! the smell of p!ss far stronger.

My FlyingSpanners hoodie was recognised :P!

Even after all the moaning... i did thourily enjoy the show, and was well worth the 180 mile round trip!! :D

Sorry Chris, no misrepresentation intended :(

I've edited to correct my faux pas

Thanks Paul, I have no higher opinion of him than your mate!

it drives me mad when the bloke on the microphone doesnt seem to know what he is talking about and says things like 'this one has rose jointed trailing arms' when it clearly has Xarms!

It sounds like Steve Wells needs a little education as he could be doing us a nice advert each time he comments on a car with X-arms. One to look into.

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

Back in Madrid after 2 x 1200 miles. A bit disappointed by the sortout... although I drove back to Spain happy with my new carp. Really enjoyed the Camel area.

This time I arranged a nice Bed & Breakfast after the nasty experiences I had at Billing and Newark. There will be improvements in show campings, one day, I hope.