Slight emergency -

Eightpot

Appeciate any info or experience on getting vehicle recovery back from France -

I'm stranded in Reims at the minute, after the bottom hose burst and the engine ran dry till it nearly seized.

At the very minimum I have a goosed head gasket, possibly worse.

To make matters worse, I'm out in the Rangie ambulance, with an Isuzu engine - managed to get the beast recovered back to an Isuzu dealer - but they are unable to get the head gasket as the engine is 'too old' .

To make matters even worse, I never got round to getting breakdown cover, so this is going to be an expensive outing..

If I had a gasket, I'd probably have a go at replacing it and see if i can get going again. Only option at the moment is to get one couriered here, and stay in a hotel till it arrives.

I'm thinking of cutting any potential losses, returning home and coming back in the defender with a trailer on and towing it back home so I can do it properly on the drive.

If there is a cost effective way to get recovered back home though, that would be a good option right now - I'm thinking that as standard it's going to cost upwards of a grand if I use a normal recovery agent though - does anyone have any ideas on ways to get the shed back home to Brum? :(

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

We've got a lad in a wrecker on his way back from Grenoble. Just rang him, he's already on the ferry :angry2:

How bad is the head gasket, just leaking a bit or completely gone?

Kalimex's K-Seal is one of the few potions available that actually works well. We carry it on the service van, as do the AA, RAC ect. It will seal head gasket leaks.

Either that or come home take out break down cover and go back a week later then use the cover!!

Paul

Interesting solution, but not neccesarrily a good idea if you spread the word on the internet that you are broken down already :ph34r:

Daan

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

We've got a lad in a wrecker on his way back from Grenoble. Just rang him, he's already on the ferry :angry2:

Bugger! :(

Luckily we managed to get a cheapo hotel with wifi near where the car is laid up - just found a guy who reckins he can recover it back to the UK for 400 euros or so as they deliver cars to france and send the trucks back empty -

I reckon that will be cheaper than letting the garage take a look at the cylinder head.

Not sure how mashed the engine is at this point - could just be a gasket, but the pistons stuck enough to stall the engine (I put my foot on the clutch as soon as I noticed a drop in power) - may have knackered the rings? the engine spins fine on the starter now though.

I've whipped the exhaust manifold off and put my hand near the ports while the engine was turned over - getting a lot of suction which seems odd :blink: also got some white smoke blowing out of No 4. i got compression from all ports, though it didn't feel as strong as I might expect, though I can't say I've ever tested it this way before.

No obvious signs of any damage externally though. I reckon it may be goosed.

The engine will spin fine on the starter now, but chances are there's no compression, rings will be damaged.

Just ringing my pal now, he runs wagons on the continent, see if he's got anything running back empty. Would you be able to get near some loading ramps, to put it inside a tautliner/ curtainsider?

When I had a slight incident in Hungary the European breakdown they refused to recover me back to the UK! They argued the accident occurred off road, well it started on a public tarmac road and finished in a field!

Solution was fly back to UK and borrow a car transporter.

Ensure you have V5/logbook/auto passports for both vehicles! Be prepared for difficulties if they ask for auto passport for a UK trailer. Point to number plates and tell police/customs etc that it is legal in UK

Good luck.

Local help is invaluable

Brendan

Right, he'll have a reefer running back part loaded on thursday, but reckons it'll cause problems putting a car in there. He's got a tautliner out tomorrow, should be runing back your way monday BUT.... if he gets a back load this would take priority. Bit of a gamble.

Thinking about it, 400 euro isn't a bad price to get back here.

Price up AA European cover, it'll be £300 easy I reckon, plus you'll have to either stay there a few days or come home and go back again.

Or coming back for a trailer, you getting home, ferry crossings with a trailer and diesel, it'll sharp add up to 400 euro.

Might be the best bet.

I've been stuck near Montpellier for four days before, got a bit bored after the first day!

Not sure how mashed the engine is at this point - could just be a gasket, but the pistons stuck enough to stall the engine (I put my foot on the clutch as soon as I noticed a drop in power) - may have knackered the rings? the engine spins fine on the starter now though.

I've whipped the exhaust manifold off and put my hand near the ports while the engine was turned over - getting a lot of suction which seems odd blink.gif also got some white smoke blowing out of No 4. i got compression from all ports, though it didn't feel as strong as I might expect, though I can't say I've ever tested it this way before.

No obvious signs of any damage externally though. I reckon it may be goosed.

Slightly different engine, but I have had experience of a 300 Tdi that did a similar thing. The engine spun freely when cool, but compression was down. It would start and run, sufficient for it to drive on to a recovery truck for return to the UK. White smoke may be oil that hasn't been scraped off the bore due to stuck rings. I wouldn't chance driving too far, but there may be enough to get you loaded for recovery or at least on to a ferry/tunnel (if you can get it to the terminal). Failure to drive off the ferry/tunnel would get you towed/pushed on to the quayside and probably covered by UK AA/RAC/etc.

There are quite a few uncertainties with repair in the field, so I would save that for the UK.

Hope it all works out for you.

Daz,

I don't know if it helps but if whoever brings you back would be willing to run you up the A2 to our place you are welcome to a night on our lounge floor..

At least that way you can get a plan together to get you home from Kent to Brum?

As above if coming into Portsmouth or Southampton.

The ferry company will pull you off the ferry then I can come down with a rope and pull you back to my place just north of Portsmouth.

Steve

dudes - thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it!

It all got a bit stressful earlier so we decided to get a taxi into Reims and enjoyt the local produce (champers :D ) Compared to what's about to hit me it seemed a bargain..

Just got back to hotel so need to read through the thread carefully and make sure I haven't missed anything, have seen some very generous offers which are appreciated already.

With luck the chap I contacted earlier will get in touch who will drag us back hone for a few hundred euros, which is indeed a bargain.

As the engine is an Isuzu, I have also posted on the Isuzu trooper owners club forum who have also been very helpful - it has been suggested that the timing belt may have skipped a tooth or two when it all went pear shaped, which may explain why I'm getting suction through the exhaust port and it isn't firing - as Dave mentiones, I would expect it to be at least running weakly if the rings were worn.

Need to have a think about that in the morning and make a nuisance of myself again with my french hosts who have been exceptionally gracious - the Isuzu dealership I landed on have very generously put the rangie in thier secure compound free of charge for the next ten days if needed.

bedtime now - been a long one...

how are you getting on?

Just got back home mate - two days on an industrial park was quite enough and it's been difficult making any progress. I did ask the gaffer at the garage this morning if they would take a look at the timing belt, but they weren't interested in getting involved - too old an engine for them apparantly and I don't want to test thier patience as this whole scenario has nothing to do with them and they just turned up at work one day to find my wreck outside - they've been extremely accomodating beyond reason.

Will get a towbar sorted on fugly tomorrow, and may set off with a trailer in the next day or two and drag it back if this recovery guy doesn't come through - he's keen enough but recovery will depend on when they have a truck in the area - I don't want the garage to have to babysit the ambi for more than a couple of days really.

Thanks for all the offers of assistance I received while I was away - gratefully received and appreciate the calls made, links posted and advice - appologies I couldn't reply back straight away :)