Snorkal on 2.5 N.A

hi,

trying to fix up a snorkal to my 1988 90 but i am struggling to get the hoses to the bulkhead and up to the wing.

i think that i might have to get rid of the heater box, but cnt seem to even get that out.

any ideas on where to run the hoses or hints on how to get the heater box out would be appreciated.

thanks

Ben

hi,

trying to fix up a snorkal to my 1988 90 but i am struggling to get the hoses to the bulkhead and up to the wing.

i think that i might have to get rid of the heater box, but cnt seem to even get that out.

any ideas on where to run the hoses or hints on how to get the heater box out would be appreciated.

thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

I've just taken out the 2.5 normally asmatic lump out of my '83 110 so I can have a look at how the heater box is attached and take a photo if that helps?Seems a bit extreme to have to take it out to fit the snorkel and hoses. I'm sure one of the guys/gals will have resolved the prob and be able to tell you the best way to route the hoses with the heater box in situ...huh.gif

The heater box is held in only by the screws through the vent on top of the wing assuming by "heater box" you mean the air inlet box. It should then pull out. You should be able to route the hose under the box.

If you mean the heater itself, it is held on by 4 screws through the bulkhead.

If you mean the heater itself, it is held on by 4 screws through the bulkhead.

I presume you are trying to get the heater box out for access. If you do indeed mean the box with the matrix and blower in it, it is connected as Red says - two bolts into the bulkhead at the top in the engine bay and two bolts that are accessed in the left hand footwell (you'll need to get a spanner on the engine bay nut as well for these). Its a sod to manouvre out and you'll probably need a new heater to bulkhead seal for re-fitting (its also a sod to manouvre back in as well!). You can also use it as an opportunity to make sure your heater cables are adjusted properly for winter...

hi,

thanks

Ben

The Genuine Snorkel for the 2.5 N/A Engine looked like this -

th_3b52_1.jpg . th_3bf8_1.jpg . th_3c7f_1.jpg

th_3cf6_1.jpg . th_3d99_1.jpg . th_efa4_1.jpg

th_f015_1.jpg

Watchya Ben

I had the same problem as you, I take it you have the mantek wing top snorkel.

I tried for a few weeks to fit mine, I've still got a huge hole in the top of the wing. I've now covered it in tread plate.

I packed in trying in the end and flogged it, I've now bought a Safari Snorkel (200tdi) which isn't yet completely fitted. I had to source the side vent internals which LR don't sell anymore.

It looks alot easier to go in under the washer bottle than to fart about with the heater matrix.

If you go down this route you'll also need a hose reducer (75mm - 63mm) for the air filter intake.

Hope this helps

Ade

What kind of air intake are you trying to fit? If it is the type that enters though a hole that you need to cut in the top of the wing just in front of the bulkhead then there is just room for the flexi hose to pass between the inner wing and the heater box. I had a mantec one on my old 2.5NA.

I would steer well clear of removing the heater unit- you will destroy the heater box to bulkhead seal. The seal is an odd shape (not viable to make one/bodge one...) and only available as a genuine part when I last sourced one. The heater box is also a sod to get in and out- lots of pulling/ pushing and swearing!

What kind of air intake are you trying to fit? If it is the type that enters though a hole that you need to cut in the top of the wing just in front of the bulkhead then there is just room for the flexi hose to pass between the inner wing and the heater box. I had a mantec one on my old 2.5NA.

I would steer well clear of removing the heater unit- you will destroy the heater box to bulkhead seal. The seal is an odd shape (not viable to make one/bodge one...) and only available as a genuine part when I last sourced one. The heater box is also a sod to get in and out- lots of pulling/ pushing and swearing!

I was plannng on putting this normally asperated one in.. (http://www.rebel4x4.co.uk/raised_air.htm) dont no what you think but we done the same on my mates truck and we just couldnt get in between the heater box and washer resovour thing. in the end we ran his around the engine to the other side of the truck (ex M.O.D so he didnt have his fan and cowling in the way). let me know what you think to that snorkal. Or will i have to splash out on the 200£ for a proper one?

cheers

Watchya Ben

I had the same problem as you, I take it you have the mantek wing top snorkel.

I tried for a few weeks to fit mine, I've still got a huge hole in the top of the wing. I've now covered it in tread plate.

I packed in trying in the end and flogged it, I've now bought a Safari Snorkel (200tdi) which isn't yet completely fitted. I had to source the side vent internals which LR don't sell anymore.

It looks alot easier to go in under the washer bottle than to fart about with the heater matrix.

If you go down this route you'll also need a hose reducer (75mm - 63mm) for the air filter intake.

Hope this helps

Ade

HAHA, nice to know that someone else struggles with it as well! :) i think i myt give up and not bother at all

cheers

I was plannng on putting this normally asperated one in.. (http://www.rebel4x4.co.uk/raised_air.htm) dont no what you think but we done the same on my mates truck and we just couldnt get in between the heater box and washer resovour thing. in the end we ran his around the engine to the other side of the truck (ex M.O.D so he didnt have his fan and cowling in the way). let me know what you think to that snorkal. Or will i have to splash out on the 200£ for a proper one?

cheers

Mantec one that I fitted is the same design as Rebels NA one- there was definitely room to pass the flexi hose between the bottom front edge of the heater unit and the inner wing appearing underneath the washer bottle. I never took any photographs of the inside of the engine bay with it fitted- don't have the truck anymore (It was a 1986 2.5 NA if that makes any difference.)

The pictures of the Blue 110 look more like someones home made attempt than a genuine parts offering!

The pictures of the Blue 110 look more like someones home made attempt than a genuine parts offering!

:huh: Here's the 4-Cylinder Raised Air Intake page from Microcat -

th_RaisedAirIntake-4-Cyl.jpg

The standard intake hosing on my 200Tdi goes through the gap between heater and inner wing, under the washer bottle. As Mr Milemarker says above.

I don't see why an N/A would be any different?

Unlike the 2.5TD and 200TDi vehicles, the 2.5 N/A Diesel (and 2.5 Petrol) don't have an air intake on the N/S wing.

If fitting a snorkel to a 2.5 N/A or 2.5 petrol, you could fit the 2.5TD or 200Tdi wing intake and associated plumbing, then use a Rebel/Mantec/Safari Snorkle to suit.

BUT - the seal around the wing and the joins in the plastic trunking under the wing (not to mention the rubber flap drain valve) are difficult to seal effectively and are a potential source of leaks.

I've got a Rebel Snorkle on my 2.5TD and I'm seriously thinking of taking the pipe along and through the top of the wing, doing away with side grille completely.

th_Img_0686.jpg . th_Img_0687.jpg . th_Img_0705.jpg

If you think that along the top of the wing looks 'homemade', have a look at how Land Rover did it for some Camel Trophy vehicles :o -

CamelTrophy25.jpg

The mantec snorkel requires a hole through the wingtop/wing panel, the hose routes under the heater box with no problems, there's also the MOD/military/winterised setup that is similiar to PaulMC's pics but replaced the wingtop heater plastic plate/inlet with a rigid steel pipe, the heater then drew in its air from a Series 3 style inlet on the front of the wing side panel.

I have the mantec one on my NA, good pice of kit and fits well.

... there's also the MOD/military/winterised setup that is similiar to PaulMC's pics but replaced the wingtop heater plastic plate/inlet with a rigid steel pipe, the heater then drew in its air from a Series 3 style inlet on the front of the wing side panel.

Like these -

(click on thumbnail for full size image in new window)

th_57KJ61.jpg . th_61KJ23.jpg

C&S Tat used to have most of these bits and still have some of it on their website -

http://www.emlra.org/C&S%20Barrow%20index/wading.htm

Like these -

(click on thumbnail for full size image in new window)

th_57KJ61.jpg . th_61KJ23.jpg

C&S Tat used to have most of these bits and still have some of it on their website -

http://www.emlra.org/C&S%20Barrow%20index/wading.htm

yep-there the ones, I picked one up awhile ago on Ebay-but seem pretty rare nowadays, solid bits of kit with 1/4"bsp fittings for attaching the axle/gearbox vents so you didnt have to cable tie them to the snorkle itself.

As fitted to winterised waders hence the turn small brass turnbuckles everywhere and a sunroof!

If fitting a snorkel to a 2.5 N/A or 2.5 petrol, you could fit the 2.5TD or 200Tdi wing intake and associated plumbing, then use a Rebel/Mantec/Safari Snorkle to suit.

BUT - the seal around the wing and the joins in the plastic trunking under the wing (not to mention the rubber flap drain valve) are difficult to seal effectively and are a potential source of leaks.

I've got a Rebel Snorkle on my 2.5TD and I'm seriously thinking of taking the pipe along and through the top of the wing, doing away with side grille completely.

th_Img_0686.jpg . th_Img_0687.jpg . th_Img_0705.jpg

If you think that along the top of the wing looks 'homemade', have a look at how Land Rover did it for some Camel Trophy vehicles :o -

CamelTrophy25.jpg

that realy does look home made lol. i wonder how he opens the bonnet, thanks for the help! :)

The mantec snorkel requires a hole through the wingtop/wing panel, the hose routes under the heater box with no problems, there's also the MOD/military/winterised setup that is similiar to PaulMC's pics but replaced the wingtop heater plastic plate/inlet with a rigid steel pipe, the heater then drew in its air from a Series 3 style inlet on the front of the wing side panel.

I have the mantec one on my NA, good pice of kit and fits well.

ok thanks for the help. i think im just going to postpone getting one.

If you get the Rebel 'universal' snorkel, you'll be able to fit it no problem -

You need to drill a hole in the wing top near the bulkhead using a normal hole cutter, and the pipe and flexi tube drops down the side of the heater ok - you should be able to see how it fits on this piccy:

ps I took the heater out as well as it was only ten mins work and made the job easier.

post-4919-125560732738_thumb.jpg

If you get the Rebel 'universal' snorkel, you'll be able to fit it no problem -

You need to drill a hole in the wing top near the bulkhead using a normal hole cutter, and the pipe and flexi tube drops down the side of the heater ok - you should be able to see how it fits on this piccy:

ps I took the heater out as well as it was only ten mins work and made the job easier.

thanks, i will order that as soon as my next lot of pay comes in :)

the part that i couldnt get it threw before was between the heater box and the peice of angle iron that holds it to the bulkhead. i will just give it a go.

thanks