Bending own trailing arms

bluespanner

This must have been tried many times before, but what are the pros and cons of bending my own trailing arms?

I would probably weld a gusset underneath the bend too.

I've just ordered a set of +5" terrafirmas, so I cant justify the £100 or so for new ones.

Roland (gas axe at ready :D)

If you bend them you are shortening them.

Shortening them will alter your pinion angle causing potential problems with your prop-shaft.

Adding spacers (washers) behind the bushing can restore the original length, depending on the amount of bend and the amount of thread left.

Just bending standard trailing arms won't help, it's a actually a really bad idea, for two reason; a) it will shorten them which will try to pull the axle forward, which will also pull down the suspension A-Frame, stressing the A-Frame bush, bending the rear springs and damper forward; b) the bush holder at the axle end needs to be offset from the shaft to prevent fouling the mounting bracket.

You're fitting cranked arms because of a suspension lift therefore they actually need to be longer (consider the hypotenuse of a triangle, it increases if you increases the height of the triangle). You need to match the length of trailing arms to your lift, the once size fits all approach of some trailing arms manufacturers is also wrong headed because of this.

For 2" lift, we bend standard ones and weld a length of angle-iron along the whole length (on the bottom) That seems to work, the amount they are shortened by is not enough to worry about - they will bind on the brackets a bit though, so I can't imagine what +5" would do! That's why the good after-market ones are offset at the axle end.

AD90

???

I might have to just save up and buy made ones but it seems alot of money for something relatively simple.

as moving the chassis mounts would be considered a chassis modification, after the mod the vehicle should to remain legal go through the SVA checks.

???

I might have to just save up and buy made ones but it seems alot of money for something relatively simple.

I agree they are simple, however they are not a mass produced item and as such they will cost a reasonable amount.

They are however a safety critical component of your vehicle.

Unfortunately rarely can you change one component without consequence.

Long travel shocks = modified trailing arms, high angle ball joint, spring relocaters/x spring, long brake hoses and wide anglle u.j.s.

Not forgeting the front end mods to equalise the suspension travel/articulation.

Maybe a granny/suck eggs post, but just in case.

To avoid the axle end bush binding, you can modify the bracket on the axle a little and/or bend the arm at that end as well (making an 's' shape).

Reinforcing the arm with angle seems to work pretty well - so just do the same on both ends.

It is important to extend the arm so the axle is in the proper place - with the bottom spring seats horizontal. Not because of prop angle nor handling, but because in that position, you maximise the travel available in the A frame ball joint.

Generally, the extension required is only in the order of 5mm and that can make a huge difference. You can achieve this by placing washers between the chassis outrigger and the rubber doughnut bush.

Si

This may go a little over the top as you are modifying not building new, but it does explain what goes on with your suspension and how small mods can make big differences in handling etc. Just changing one component can have serious implications. TBH spring seat angle is an indication of your axles angle, therefore pinion angle and upper ball joint angle, but the spring seat will not be parallel/level on a lifted vehicle. Also lifting your vehicle will actually reduce the articulation available on the upper ball joint. Obviously this is all for an ideal world scenario, but there are an awful lot of people out there adding massive shocks and springs and finding out their vehicle is undriveable.

http://www.4x4.hr/2007/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69&Itemid=9

This may go a little over the top as you are modifying not building new, but it does explain what goes on with your suspension and how small mods can make big differences in handling etc. Just changing one component can have serious implications. TBH spring seat angle is an indication of your axles angle, therefore pinion angle and upper ball joint angle, but the spring seat will not be parallel/level on a lifted vehicle. Also lifting your vehicle will actually reduce the articulation available on the upper ball joint. Obviously this is all for an ideal world scenario, but there are an awful lot of people out there adding massive shocks and springs and finding out their vehicle is undriveable.

http://www.4x4.hr/2007/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69&Itemid=9

Some good stuff in that link, Well worth a read,

Carl.

I thought you can fit the chassis end bush on the other side of the chassis bracket to account for the extra length or is this a no no due to the forces involved then being placed soley on the three bolts?

• 5 weeks later...