Amber Light Bar

McS Junior

Hi all,

I'm after some recommendations for an amber light bar for a recovery duty 110.

- probably needs to be 4ft

- either rotators or LEDs but not strobes

- must have integral stop/tails and indicators

- work lights/alley lights would be nice but not essential

So, what does everyone use? I've looked at loads of different websites but I'm after some solid recommendations, pictures of ones fitted would be ideal too!

Cheers,

Ross

Basic Premier Hazard halogen rotators are hard to beat, use them on the emergency services vehicles here and they even survive our roads! All the ones I have ever ordered have been blue but the same units are available in amber.

I think they were a mixture of Optimaxes and Maxims see here http://www.premierhazard.co.uk/amber_lightbars.htm

No need for silly strobes, if somebody can't see a four-rotator PH lightbar they won't notice anything short of a nuclear explosion :)

I don't know if they can have stop/tail lights as a factory fit (none of ours did - just quad rotators and a centre sign) but if not it would be relatively easy to rig up something with blank panels and Defender light units.

Premier Hazard

http://www.premierhazard.co.uk/amber_range.htm

Mine is a Maxim 48 inch 4 rotator 55w bulbs, full width amber lense,had it since 1997 never let me down. no integral stop/tail/indicators, as mine are on the roof vertical rear panel.

Premier state 1600 flashes per minute front & rear for the maxin unit, so quite effective.

shoved a PM your way too.

th_MVI_0498.jpg

th_MVI_0050.jpg

vision alert are the older rotator ones fitted with stop tail and indicators often turn up on e bay the new aa led ones are vision alert but i dont rate them as thay dont have 360 coverage but like its been said premier hazard are a good brand i have a 4 rotator britax on my disco at the moment with 2 vision alert led in the rear window code 3 are a good make but you dont see many about,chris.

The very best and longest lived bars are some of the old Federal Signal products such as the Jetsonic / Jetstream, Aerodynics or the old Twinsonics. Of course these were not e-marked but were built to last and be repaired. Back in the day I had much to do with Federal Signal Aerodynics, Twinsonics, Jetsonics plus various Whelen and Code 3 bars.

I've had all light Aerodynics with twelve synchronised 55w rotators - obviously the power draw was not in the same economic league as today's LED jobs.

Thanks for all the replies folks, some food for thought there.

I'm not sure I like the clear LED bars, would need to see a couple fitted in order to make a decision...

Does anyone, besides Ralph, have any photos of their light bars fitted, I'm very shallow :rolleyes: so its got to look good as well as being functional....

Ross

Modern LEDs are excellent, lightweight, no moving parts, don't discharge the battery if you leave the vehicle with the engine off. Much easier to wire as well.

Consider mounting lightheads in the windows rather than a roofbar, especially if you have alpine lights.

Cheers

Blippie

Consider mounting lightheads in the windows rather than a roofbar, especially if you have alpine lights.

Its a 110 Pickup with an Ifor top so alpine lights are out but some strobes in the back window would work :D

I will have a look at work tomorrow for you

Would be very grateful Paul :)

Ross

Thanks for all the replies folks, some food for thought there.

I'm not sure I like the clear LED bars, would need to see a couple fitted in order to make a decision...

Does anyone, besides Ralph, have any photos of their light bars fitted, I'm very shallow :rolleyes: so its got to look good as well as being functional....

Ross

My old station wagon with an Ex-AA light bar Front Rear

Oh, just a quick thought about work lamps... The alley lights fitted in theends of light bars aren't much good for illuminating workspace. Separate work lamps are so much better for the job. Alley lights are useful for one thing - spotting house numbers from the road at night.

Cheers

Blippie

• 4 weeks later...

& if you fit rear facing worklights & want to use them on public highways, the amber beacons MUST be illuminated as well.

I've never seen that in the legislation. The only control on worklamps is that they must not be used in a way that dazzled other road users, there is no mention I have seen on the use of them needing to be in conjunction with warning beacons.

(road vehicles lighting regulations 1989)

cheers

Blippie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm led to believe that rear worklamps should be switched from the rear so you can't use them as reversing lights.

I have an ex-AA Vision Alert bar. Excellent piece of kit, it has the day/night facility on the rotators too as well as all the other wiring, however I plumped to wire the 4 together but it's like turning the sun back on in the middle of the night, especially on a snow shout.

The other handy thing with these lights is that if mounted right, they slide down the back of the vehicle which is very useful in a low garage (like mine) or out laning.

derbyshire039.jpg

derbyshire082.jpg

And yes they are strobes in the grille, from Ardent at Billing a couple of years back. Still not got around to fitting the rear ones yet.

I'm led to believe that rear worklamps should be switched from the rear so you can't use them as reversing lights

the can be switched from the dash but should really have a telltale light in the switch or on dash to tell driver when the worklights are switched on. that's how my rear one is fitted