Brake pipe emergency repair

Peter

Well I admire the honesty if nothing else ........

New highway code questions

The red brake warning light comes on, do you

a) check the fluid level immediately

b) ignore it as it's only a faulty switch indicator light anyway and lifting the bonnet is very time consuming

c) find heavy trailers to tow assuming if that doesn't cause the brakes to fail everything must be fine

Laning with only 3 brakes is okay because

a)Even though byways count as public highways they don't really count

b)A land rover's character means Police don't expect everything to work anyway

c)Brakes are over engineered anyway you only need to worry when you get down to 2 or less

Fix your brakes. You hit someone on a lane or otherwise with brakes that have been deliberately disabled you are going to jail. And you lot stop encouraging the bodging. :-p

and just for the record fronts are more important than rears as I think the work split is 70/30 for reasons I don't understand. I guess the force shifts onto the front wheels under braking meaning the rears would lock up sooner and therefore have to have less force applied.

As said that is all a crock of Sh*t when you are in the middle of Aus or africa becasue the UK highway code does not count anyway. Don't owrry about the police in the outback as they are too Busy beating up Abo's to worry about anything else :rolleyes:

And nextime Read the original post before you get on your high horse

And the front have more power becasue Ummmmm oh yeah there's an engine bove them and the rear is lighter and if you put more power to them they will lock up sooner than they do anyway

And nextime Read the original post before you get on your high horse

Ali - I suggest you double-check the original post, although he started with "if you're in the wilds of Africa" what he ends with is "my brakes are faulty and I want to go greenlaning this weekend" which is not the same situation. No-one is disagreeing with you about field repairs, but this guy's not actually in a field :rolleyes:

So just so we are all clear from my now apparently legitimate uptake of the lofty mounted position :-).

1. If you are in Africa/Australia/large swampy bog and you need to do whatever - that's fine

2. If you are out locally and you damage the rear brakes and find a way to limp home - that's okay

3. If the brake warning light comes on and you tow heavy trailers around for a week without bothering to check the brake fluid level - I will be mocking your lack of safety sense

4. If you post asking how you can bodge the rear brakes cos you want to go out with your mates at the weekend - I will be mocking your lack of safety sense.

To a degree you'll only be going to jail if you kill or seriously injure someone. Otherwise in the unlikely event the police notice they would hopefully seize the vehicle as being dangerously unroadworthy but that's about it I would expect.

The front and back are on different circuits for exactly this reason so you have probably been driving on only the fronts all week anyway.

Chances are you won't kill anyone or have any problems but on the off chance you do I won't be condoning that sort of thing on the forum.

and just for the record fronts are more important than rears as I think the work split is 70/30 for reasons I don't understand. I guess the force shifts onto the front wheels under braking meaning the rears would lock up sooner and therefore have to have less force applied.

Loved the New Highway Code questions.

I can vouch for the front being worse. Whilst out laning one night near me, my front offside stainless braided flexipipe got cut by the wheel rim (mud pulled it backwards when reversing and it stayed against the rim, it took less than 2 miles to saw through). I only found out at a roundabout luckily empty. Using a pair of molegrips the hose was folded over and clamped and very cautiously/slowly drove home (1am by now). Really not a good experience.

Marc.

Never mind bodging - with my suggestion and a spare flexi (they're not expensive or bulky to carry) you can get home safely, be it from Africa or ASDA, with no bodges!

Exactly what I said in my post.

Yes Africa and Aus are entirely different to the UK. I know what it's like to recover a Defender days from a town.

A few weeks after replacing a balljoint on my dads old transit my mum came home one day after having driven it to asda and said "the brakes on that are a bit carp". Didnt sound very serious and i just figured she was complaining about the difference between car and van brakes so didnt bother checking it.

Next day she comes in from work and says "a red light came on half way down the dual carridgeway, and the brakes are still carp, you'll need to look at it" So i think red light is bad i better go check...

Fluid was very low on one side of the resovoir, so i filled it up and pressed the pedal, it hit the floor, accompanied by a hissing sound from the offside front. After some :o i realised the clamp that holds the brake hose hadnt been fitted, and the hose had been touching the wheel, eventually wearing thru.

I went in and asked mum if the pedal had been hitting the floor previously and she says "ye, i told you the brakes were carp yestarday". I took the opportunity to explain the difference between carp and dangerously broken!

I did find it amusing afterwards that she happily drove it to and from asda and two and from work with it like that, without actually thinking there was something seriously wrong with it until the light came on!