Insurance

joe1970

My insurance covers me third party only to drive any vehicle as long as there not owned by me, do the vehicles also have to be insured by there owner? Ive read through the policy booklet and my insurance certificate and it doesnt mention anything about the vehicles having to be insured but a few people have said they have to be?

afaik they do have to be insured by some one for your 3rd party cover to be in force

rob

I used to think that, then i asked my insurance company at the time and they said they didnt. Really best to phone your insurance company and check........

My insurance covers me third party only to drive any vehicle as long as there not owned by me, do the vehicles also have to be insured by there owner? Ive read through the policy booklet and my insurance certificate and it doesnt mention anything about the vehicles having to be insured but a few people have said they have to be?

Hello

I've also had someone telling me this,only a few days ago.

All the comp. policies I've had over the years have stated something like "The policy holder may also drive any motor vehicle not owned by him, and not hired or loaned to him under a hire purchase agreement, providing that he holds a license, or has held, and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such license".

A Traffic Cops or similar prog. on the box recently showed a car being pulled over, having shown up on the DVLA data base as being uninsured. The driver was allowed to call a friend/relative to drive the car away.

In another instance, a car showing up as uninsured was stopped. The driver was a garage mechanic delivering the car to the owner, and covered by the garage insurance.

Two cars not covered by insurance in there own right, but legally driven by others.

So???

I'd still check. Phone them, get the persons name and record the time and date you spoke to them. Its easy to miss some small print or other and then find out you are not insured. At least if you have the details above, your insurance company will have to honour you being insured if they say you are.

Any vehicle on the public road, technically needs third party cover. Ie say you park it up on the street, the handbrake fails and it flattens someone/something... But thats more an issue for the vehicle owner than the bloke driving it on his third party extension.

I've heard a few traffic cops say that even if the vehicle isnt insured, if the driver has cover then they're happy.

It would be worth asking your insurer to confirm, but i suspect that with that wording on the policy document, if an issue ever did arise, your covered.

That section of the document legally stipulates what you can drive, and as you've quoted it, it makes no mention of the other vehicle having cover.

I'm with Adrian Flux for my Land Rover as being fully comp gives me the ability to drive cars not owned by me third party. I've spoken to them about this and they say that it can be any vehicle so long as I have an adequate driving license, the vehicle does not need cover from it's owner.

It mite also be worth asking about engine size restrictions as I can only other vehicles with an engine size not exceeding 12 liters, can't see that ever being an issue for myself but it may still be worth double checking as if your insurer has a similar restriction you'd want to know about it.

A Traffic Cops or similar prog. on the box recently showed a car being pulled over, having shown up on the DVLA data base as being uninsured. The driver was allowed to call a friend/relative to drive the car away.

In another instance, a car showing up as uninsured was stopped. The driver was a garage mechanic delivering the car to the owner, and covered by the garage insurance.

Two cars not covered by insurance in there own right, but legally driven by others.

So???

I personally have had that pleasure.

Cops stopped me as my car was shown as uninsured on their computer. As I have been hit twice by uninsured people I am meticulous about mu own cars insurance.

Luckily I had a mate in the car who was insured to drive my car.

I often wonder if plod would pay the recovery and storage costs or scrapping my car due to bad data in their computer?

Marc.

I'm with Adrian Flux for my Land Rover as being fully comp gives me the ability to drive cars not owned by me third party. I've spoken to them about this and they say that it can be any vehicle so long as I have an adequate driving license, the vehicle does not need cover from it's owner.

It mite also be worth asking about engine size restrictions as I can only other vehicles with an engine size not exceeding 12 liters, can't see that ever being an issue for myself but it may still be worth double checking as if your insurer has a similar restriction you'd want to know about it.

I too had this discussion with Adrian Flux. The 2 things I came away remembering was if you do drive a vehicle that has no further insurance on it and you get out, it is technically uninsured. Worth remembering maybe if you stop at a shop or in a garage.

The other thing was on my policy it says any motor car, so Im abit cautious to use it for driving a lorry or a van for example as there may be a potential hole there for them to pick at if you do have an accident.

H

I too had this discussion with Adrian Flux. The 2 things I came away remembering was if you do drive a vehicle that has no further insurance on it and you get out, it is technically uninsured. Worth remembering maybe if you stop at a shop or in a garage.

The other thing was on my policy it says any motor car, so Im abit cautious to use it for driving a lorry or a van for example as there may be a potential hole there for them to pick at if you do have an accident.

H

I think that's what the 12L engine size thing is about, it would enable the use of just about all cars, but not other vehicles such as lorries etc.

I also queried this and was told that if the vehicle is not otherwise insured than it is only covered to the minimum level required by law (third party) while I was actually driving it. They added that it was only really intended as emergency cover - say for example if I had to take over the driving because the usual driver was too ill to drive.

It's worth bearing in mind that now, if a motor vehicle is used (or parked) anywhere the public has access (not just on a public road) then it needs to be taxed, tested and insured.

Private insurance policies here definitely require the other vehicle to be covered by some sort of insurance to invoke the "any car 3rd party" cover. We have a trade policy at work that covers driving anything at all but that's completely different.

They added that it was only really intended as emergency cover - say for example if I had to take over the driving because the usual driver was too ill to drive.

Now that could open another can of worms - isnt it normally the case where the drivers insurance will cover you in the event of an emergency like you describe so you wouldnt have to have third party cover on your own policy for that purpose?

Now that could open another can of worms - isnt it normally the case where the drivers insurance will cover you in the event of an emergency like you describe so you wouldnt have to have third party cover on your own policy for that purpose?

No, that is a common misconception. I can remember a case a while back where a bloke was prosecuted for driving a friends car with no insurance. His defence was that his friend had become unwell and he had to take over. He still got done.

It could be that certain insurance policies do include cover for such circumstances, but you would need to check the small print. I'm pretty sure none of mine do.

Private insurance policies here definitely require the other vehicle to be covered by some sort of insurance to invoke the "any car 3rd party" cover. We have a trade policy at work that covers driving anything at all but that's completely different.

Sure trade motor insurance can be another kettle of fish! Dont talk to me about restrictions etc!

H

• 4 months later...

Since this topic was posted I have been stopped twice by the police in a discovery owned by a friend, the vehicle had no insurance but Iam insured to drive any vehicle on my insurance. Both times I gave my details and the details of the land rover I am insured for the police were fine when it came back that I was insured to drive any vehicle. Both times the police said straight away "this vehicle has no insurance"

Its funny, i never see a police car day in day out, but you can be sure the minute you jump into an uninsured vehicle they appear in the rear view with the blues on :P

tis good to know though, my mates swiftcover policy explicitly states on the certificate that the third party gubbins only applys if the vehicle being driven has insurance in its own right.