How wide is a green lane?

GBMUD

Is there a set minimum width where there is no obvious boundry in the form of hedges, ditches etc.? I am thinking specificaly about the BOAT pictured here and extending for IRO 300M towards the tower on the horizon. What do you mean "What BOAT?"? :D;)

53899.jpg

Chris

Is there a set minimum width where there is no obvious boundry in the form of hedges, ditches etc.? I am thinking specificaly about the BOAT pictured here and extending for IRO 300M towards the tower on the horizon. What do you mean "What BOAT?"? :D;)

53899.jpg

Chris

That's a wide lane, Chris :)

Mo

There’s no set limit to size as far as I know, but I could be wrong. But most people would expect it to be wide enough to get a car down.

Looking at the picture, it could be anywhere across there. The only way to know the right line would be to use a gps. BOATs, UCRs and other byways hardly ever go straight.

Paul

To add some clarification; I have a GPS with moving map software so I could follow the BOAT quite easily. The BOAT obviously (refering to the map/gps) goes down the hill between the tanks and then comes to a dead end on the hill the other side of the valley - at a guess. I was wondering if one could take a closer look at one of the tanks without leaving the byway and risking the £5 penalty for breaking bylaws on the plain - if one were to assume that the byway went equi-distantly between tanks that is. Just hypothetically.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

I heard somewhere that there was a stature width of a byway, but i'm buggered if i can remember where or what it was! :rolleyes:

As for an area as wide as that (it's a nice view from that water tower isn't it!?), i'd go with Pauls and your suggestion of either driving or walking it with a GPS and remembering certain landmarks so you can drive it legally. Especially knowing how pedantic some (not all!) of the wardens and MoD police can be up there.

I did the same when BY13 used to go across the chalk pit, i walked it, and took photo's at various points (taken from my GPS), and kept it all in my map bag (along with all the emails i've got from WCC regarding RoW's) "just" in case i meet a nice unfriendly official, i can "stick it to them" so to speak... :D

Chris,

IIRC byways are dimensioned as 6ft wide .............. I know a lot that aren’t ............. and I cant remember the context that the figure was used for .................I will try and wade through all my carp on byways here to see if I can dig it out ............ right now time is the enemy <_< .

Ian

Hope your GPS is more accurate than mine Chris, mine thought I was on the opposite side of a river yesterday!

Will :)

Ah correction Will - your mapping s/w thought you were on the other side of the river! - Your GPS knew exactly where you were! ;);)

Steve :)

To add some clarification; I have a GPS with moving map software so I could follow the BOAT quite easily. The BOAT obviously (refering to the map/gps) goes down the hill between the tanks and then comes to a dead end on the hill the other side of the valley - at a guess. I was wondering if one could take a closer look at one of the tanks without leaving the byway and risking the £5 penalty for breaking bylaws on the plain - if one were to assume that the byway went equi-distantly between tanks that is. Just hypothetically.

Chris

That looks depresingly like an impact area...

I have all the 1:10,000 scale maps of the plain now - soon to be on electric medium. You are welcome to have a peek and take measurements like a proper navigator

That looks depresingly like an impact area...

I have all the 1:10,000 scale maps of the plain now - soon to be on electric medium. You are welcome to have a peek and take measurements like a proper navigator

ummm.... yeah, that's a point, I thought they were bushes rather than tanks, worth checking to make sure that that is still a BOAT as if it's an impact area there'll more than likely be unexploded ordinance around that area :blink:

Well. It is marked on MemoryMap as a BOAT and I had just passed a sign reading "Byway ends in 400M" so I think I was on safe-ish ground... legally at least. :) I know there has been a lot of artillery fire on the plain recently (All I can hear from home!) and, yes, being as the tanks look to have been used for target practice I did decide not to proced any further. I once found an unexploded 105mm shell on a BOAT - called the range warden and was assisted in giving it a wide berth!

I was at: SU07445 49315 looking north and there was a large earth bank to my right - presumably a back-stop for the artillery that misses.

Chris

I was at: SU07445 49315 looking north and there was a large earth bank to my right - presumably a back-stop for the artillery that misses.

Chris

Apart from red flags & TRO's I cant see anthing that can legally stop you going to the end of the byway. You were certainly spot on with your position. ;)

SU.jpg

BTW: do you still need a front prop ? I might have one going spare (for free) very shortly...... in good nick

Ian

Yes, quite sure where I was and that I had the right to be there.

I then turned 180deg. and drove the byway south down to the road between The Bustard and Westdown camp. When I got to the road there was a sign saying that the byway was closed to the public - I never passed one at the north end of the lane though - although I was "flying on instruments" as there is no defined track for most of the way down. All the other Byways and crossings had similar signs, dunno why. The flags WERE certainly NOT flying.

BTW: do you still need a front prop ? I might have one going spare (for free) very shortly...... in good nick

Ian

D'OH! Ordered one yesterday. :( Thanks though. Not off your V8? Different fitment anyway according to the books.

Cheers

Chris

Thread hijack ............... sorry Chris,

Hmmmmm …………. I think they may be the same thing, except one has large U/J’s and the other has the smaller U/J’s :rolleyes: …… but I believe the length is the same…..so…….. tell me how long it is with the sliding joint closed. ;)

BTW: The one I have is not that old ……… I had a strange noise coming from the front and thought it was a U/J …….. but I also had another brand new prop to hand so that got fitted. The prop I took off has a stiff sliding joint ….. it just needs pulling apart and the factory carp grease replaced with some decent molybdenum disulfide grease……… 10 minute job.

Ian

Yeh sorry about the thread hijack Chris :rolleyes:

Will check the length this evening when I get home.

Are you sure it's just the carp grease causing the sliding joint to stick? That's what I thought mine was, pulled it apart and all the plastic coating had come off the splines, it's now a bit loose :blink:

I heard somewhere that there was a stature width of a byway, but i'm buggered if i can remember where or what it was!

No legal minimum widths or statutary standard are defined in law for any category of RoW, though I am sure I have seen standards for footpaths and bridleways, but I might be thinking of "reinstatement" widths after ploughing which are 1m (FP) or 2m (bridleway) if they cross a field and 1.5m and 3.0m if they go around the edge.

However many RoWs will have a width stated in the county's Definitive Map. This will vary depending on the type, age and origin of the RoW. Medievel routes are often a "chain" in width. An old enclosure order or definitive map modification might state a specific width or state that it "runs between" two boundary walls, etc. Usually a minimum width is stated to reflect the route at its narrowist point, but doesn't state what its widest is.

If a width isn't recorded it is safe to presumed that it runs between boundarries or, in the case of open stuff, the Plain for example, "along a strip of reasonable width." A recurring phrase is "the width of the right of way is that which the public has used" which is rather open to interpretation!

That doesn't prevent you getting blown up, of course.

Cheers

Blippie

I remembered reading somewhere that it was 8 feet, and have just been round the house on a book hunt to find out where I saw it. I don't think this was the original source, but according to the GLASS handbook:

The new roads were set out at 30 to 40 feet wide, depending on the pertaining Act, to allow room for deviation around soft spots. (Prior to 1773 the legally defined width for a carriageway was 8 feet.)

I'd guess (but am no expert) that these widths may still hold, depending on when the byway first became a right of way.