What gauge of wire.....

MogLite

Just wiring and piping the various bits on MogLite.

I haven't a clue how much current a starter solenoid takes, so not sure what spec of wire to use.

Being mid-engined, the wire will be about 4m long, so I need to take into account voltage drop potentially.

Just wiring and piping the various bits on MogLite.

I haven't a clue how much current a starter solenoid takes, so not sure what spec of wire to use.

Being mid-engined, the wire will be about 4m long, so I need to take into account voltage drop potentially.

4m !!!!?!?!?!?

I would say 40 mm2 would be sufficient (60 mm2 is avaialble and bigger but it becomes £££). I take it this is for the starter motor too not just the soleniod? Some may/will say bigger but my reasoning is if your engine is reliable, you would be cranking say for 5 seconds max - so although a slightly smaller cable may get a little bit warmer it should be ok; it is not like winching where you are drawing lots of amps for a long time. As for voltage drop, not sure if that is going to make much difference even if you went with a bigger cable; the lower voltage won't stop the engine from turning if the battery is in good nick but will sooner affect the igntion - maybe a smaller 12 V battery for the igntion that is switched in when the starter motor is turned to avoid voltage drop? (shouldn't be necessary if you have ballast coil or efi).

I've used 40 mm2 on mine (not mid engine) and these are bigger than what was fitted before and I guess bigger than factory cable too; I ran another earth from crankcase to chassis and the engine whizzes round on the starter.

obvious question is can't you move the battery nearer the engine?

I reckon it will be 3-4m for sure, the starter is effectively behind the passenger seat, it has to be routed neatly to the steering column.

I'm just talking solenoid - the main power feed for the starter is 40mm2 and that cable is probably just over 2m long to the battery, and we all know a 1/2 flat PP9 battery will spin over a V8 :D