aero wiper blades

LR NUT

Needing wiper blades for my Disco 2 & Freelander, is it worth upgrading them to the aero wiper blades which are supposed to take the moulding of the windscreen. Has anyone upgraded to these wipers and have they noticed a change in the rain with them. Only thinking about upgrading to these as the current wipers need changing

Cheers

Never heard of them, I thought aero wiper blades would be chocolate ones with bubbles in :ph34r:

I have always found the Genuine ones to be perfectly good, like any they need changing every couple of years to be at their best but if the wipers are smearing a bit, more often than not what you need is a good dose of Mixra or some similar traffic film remover to get the glass properly clean, rather than a new set of blades.

Never heard of them, I thought aero wiper blades would be chocolate ones with bubbles in :ph34r:

I have always found the Genuine ones to be perfectly good, like any they need changing every couple of years to be at their best but if the wipers are smearing a bit, more often than not what you need is a good dose of Mixra or some similar traffic film remover to get the glass properly clean, rather than a new set of blades.

They are a flat thick rubber blade and when you lift them of the windscreen they lose their shape as they mould with the windscreen, all the current models of Land Rover's have them fitted as standard apart from the Defender

Havent used then on a LR but do have them on my Nissan 200sx and have found a much better improvement over standard and they are also standard fitment on my Navara, so yeah I'd reccomend them. Also try using some Rain-x on the screen, works wonders!

I have to say that I like Rain-X and have used it for over twenty years, although I appreciate why others wouldn't have it if it were free - you need to be able to tolerate the slightly smeary effect you get using the wipers at slow speeds.

However, the best tip for the windscreen I have come across is when you are doing the "proper" wash, as opposed to the quick "get the mud off after shooting" job, is to use toothpaste on the windscreen.

It is mildly abrasive, but does not contain silicone, so it takes all the road film off without leaving a residue. Follow up with Rain-X and the job's a good 'un.

Before anyone asks - No, you don't have to use a toothbrush, a J-Cloth is the best way. Yes, it will leave your windscreen sparkling and smelling of peppermint. No I don't know if eight out of ten dentists recommend you clean your windscreen with it....................... :D

I have to say that I like Rain-X and have used it for over twenty years, although I appreciate why others wouldn't have it if it were free - you need to be able to tolerate the slightly smeary effect you get using the wipers at slow speeds.

However, the best tip for the windscreen I have come across is when you are doing the "proper" wash, as opposed to the quick "get the mud off after shooting" job, is to use toothpaste on the windscreen.

Sounds like a good tip! Does it remove light scratches too?

I've put "aero" blades on mine about 12 months ago - the metal frame used in normal wipers used to freeze in winter and not let the blades touch the windscreen. These seem much better.

As for cleaning the windscreen, I try and use warm/hot soapy water and a clean rag to de-grease it, however, at work we have some "Wurth" bug & grease remover - just spray it on and leave it for 3 or 4 minutes - that stuff is brilliant! Degreases and cleans it up - wipers are like new again. Just wish I could find somewhere that sold it privately!

• 8 years later...

thought I'd resurrect this one this one with a question: Does anyone know of an 'aero' blade that fits the plastic wiper arms of the D2, or do I have to swap them for D1 steel arms? 

I have run aero blades on all my cars for many years now and I really think they are worth the trouble anyway, but this recent cold spell has seen me pulling up mid journey to 'slap' the current wipers on the screen to free off the frozen pivots... Without this attention the wiper stays in the slight arc shape and leaves an unwiped area right in front of my eyes.

Rog

14 hours ago, teabag said:

Most but not all come with universal blade to arm connectors these days.

I'm afraid that the Disco 2 has it's own peculiar mounting system that would not fit any universal blade that I have seen. *

There are people on the bay of e listing aero blades to fit, and maybe I should believe them...