Alternatives to BFG Mud

If these are for the car I think they're for then you want to replace them with what's on there now: 255 x 85 r 16 BFG Muds. IMHO one of the best all round tyres in terms of width, diameter, grip (on and off road) and wear.

I couldnt agree more - I have this exact size BFG on my 200Tdi 90, have done about 20k miles on them with hardly any noticable wear.

They have been used for the odd pay and play day, greenlaning trip, plus wet road use towing heavy trailers coping well with everything. Yes if you brake really hard you can get them to slide in the wet but they handle much better than the remoulds I have used.

My experience of the Kumho's is they wear very fast but a good (and cheaper) choice if you dont do too many road miles

another vote for KL71s. Had them on my old Disco in 235/85, wish I could put them on my current one, but this one will retain original suspension height and anti-roll bars (for now, anyway :-)

Would consider parting with the 4 KL71s on RR Alloys for the right money. Very little wear.

Chris

I've seen too many KL71s that are chewed to bits to spend my own money on them.

I was worried that the new BFGs weren't aggressive enough but having seen a few sets around now I can't wait to wear my old BFGs out...

I've had two lots of the original BFG muds, and two sets of kms on the 110, worth every penny in my book.

Will :)

• 2 weeks later...

What is the availability of the old BFG mud like now?

Trouble i see is if i had a set, and buggered one or two, then getting another one might prove difficult.

Tempted by the KM2s...

Ross,

How are you going to "bugger" one/two??huh.gif what damage will you do with them attached to your bed frame?? there will be more toys in your garrage than mine soon, and I have some Junk!!!biggrin.gif

how is the search for a Landy to put all your toys on going??

Cheers, Jason..

Yeah come on Ross

Spill the beans , reading between the threads I think you have a nice 90 all lined up so do tell..... :lol::P

..back to topic having seen the new BFG muds I'd have no concerns going for a set , I doubt whether any other tyre will wear so well on road with good grip offroad too

cheers

Steveb

• 2 weeks later...

sorry boys.. but im with rich_p.

them XZL and a fantastic tyre. i had a set of 7.50/16s on my old series a breifly on my 90

they went much better then my brother BFG muds..

if they was not anygood.. why would the army use them? same goes for goodyear g90.

but having said that it will still be a hard fight between the XZLs and BFG muds.. in my world anyway..

has anyone on here got the new BFG muds.. as i know they have stoped making the original patten.

cheers

sam

Well on a recommendation I got a set of Dura-Trac as a "highway" tire but looking at them side by side with bfg mt they seem just as lugged if not more but the tread pattern is supposed to result in a quiet ride. Can't run them yet but hoping :)

if they was not anygood.. why would the army use them? same goes for goodyear g90.

Flawed logic I think :rofl:

Boots with holes to let the water in, guns that jam with a speck of dirt and have you ever seen the army driving off road :rolleyes: if the "tally ho flat out till the axles come off" technique doesn't work, most of them don't really have much idea :)

Having said that the XZL is OK (though not wide enough for a lot of conditions) but I wouldn't use a set of G90s if you gave them to me .... not even if you fitted them on the vehicle as well. Might do for a set of trailer tyres.

haha.. gooden..

maye of mines old chap had them on his 90.. got on with them well.

lol i stil stand my the XZLs. you can get them in 235/85/16 as well. not just in 7.50/16 or 9.00/16.

before i had them tyres on my series 3 they was on my brother 110..

them tyres was dragging a 14ft ifor willaims trailer with the 110s axles bellying out with 1tonn off stock feed on the trailer.

they pulled the 110 thought that with ease.

having said that the bg f muds in 265/75/16 are a fab tyre..

cheers

sam

Heard about the Good Year Wrangler DuraTrac:

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/28033047+w750+st0/129_0908_13_z+4x4_truck_tire_tech+goodyear_wrangler_duratrac.jpg

In mainland Europe some countries want you to use winter tyres when driving in winter time, these are MTs and should have winter approval. Don't know if this is an issue in the UK also?