I finally fitted the HEI dizzy.

roguevogue

I finally made the time to fit the HEI distributor that I got from HFH a while back.

I had to remake the HT leads with the correct fittings on the dizzy end as they are the wrong sex ;) .

This type of distributor is supposed to be less susseptible to water than the standard V8 lucas one.

dizzy.jpg

The distributor body is HUGE compared to the standard unit so I had to remove the lug that the bolt goes through on the near-side water way where the inlet manifold meets the head. All was fine until I removed a bit too much lug and the water escaped! :angry:

Anyway, after removing the whole manifold and welding up the hole, refitting and replacing all the jubilee clips and gaskets, it runs!

I told you you had to grind SOME of the inlet manifold away :)NOT so much as to make it leak ....

muppet :P

This is a V8 350 Buick Dizzy, ................

from my "research" (read educzated guessing :P )

I worked out it would fit a Rover V8 with a few mods.... :) which I then did

Problems was the Eales .......... Arggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :angry:

Have been heavily "Ported" on the inside of the inlet manifold I worked out I would "discover water" even quicker than RV

(and he still did), the Eales having had huuugeeeeeeeeee amount ported from INSIDE the inlet manifold :( meant scrap project ...

So, research aside RV became the second owner of this HUGE HEI Dizzy from USA ebay, which has the coil pack mounted in the cap. Massively built, quality bit of kit, good for V8s in water .......shoves out 35,000 Volts, ....so Nick, ...

Do NOT touch a lead :D unless you want you hair permanently "Permed" old chap :lol:

My only regret is the amount of research and time that went into it,

....but at least it went to a good home, ................well resonable new home I suppose :)

Glad to see you FINALLY removed yer finger from yer B*m :P

Look forward to the "Water report"

Nige :ph34r:

The Rover V8 was bought by Rover from Buick. The chunk of the HEI Dizzy I worked out was the same dimensions as a Rover V8 one, the difference was the gear drive on the base - easy to change.

The Buick HEI punches a real whack in terms of a spark, is also a single wire hookup to make run, and the coil (35,000V) :rolleyes::) in actaully built into the cap.

Beast of a piece of kit, much more resistant to water than the Rover V8 one, it was my Plan C that had all the makings of a great idea, till I tried to fit it :(

RVs luck, as it came his way, and now I am nearing Plan E, which should be finished and running in a couple of weeks <fingers crossed smiley> :ph34r:

Nige

Someone from NZ did this a few years back and posted on the Outerlimits

Not having a Buick V8 HEI dizzy, he made one using a Buick V6 HEI body and parts from a Oldsmobile V8 HEI.

Had to grind a little from the manifold, but did not have to remove the bolt or grind too close. So maybe the V6 body is a little longer.

AdvanceKit.jpg

For those that look at the linked thread on outerlimits, P76 was a Leyland vehicle built in Aus that had an 4.4 litre engine based on the Rover 3.5 litre. It has same bore but longer stroke and the deck of the block is higher (to accomodate longer stroke).

Someone from NZ did this a few years back and posted on the Outerlimits

Not having a Buick V8 HEI dizzy, he made one using a Buick V6 HEI body and parts from a Oldsmobile V8 HEI.

Had to grind a little from the manifold, but did not have to remove the bolt or grind too close. So maybe the V6 body is a little longer.

AdvanceKit.jpg

For those that look at the linked thread on outerlimits, P76 was a Leyland vehicle built in Aus that had an 4.4 litre engine based on the Rover 3.5 litre. It has same bore but longer stroke and the deck of the block is higher (to accomodate longer stroke).

That dizzy body has to be quite a lot smaller diameter and have a shorter neck than mine as I had to remove a LOT more manifold than that and I didn't remove any unnecessary material, in fact I still had to trim the cap before I could fit it.

The flange where the cap meets the body is level with the top of the bolt head pictured, even though the bolt is much lower down and has been replaced with a heavily trimmed cap screw.

I also had to cut off the lifting ring from the power steering/alternator bracket and tickle the cylinder head in the same area.

I hope it turns out to be worth it now. :rolleyes:

Good to be different after all, and to be a doer rather than just a talker. ;):P