Tube frame buggy

bishbosh

Now that I have finished all the jobs on the 90 and will have plenty of time on my hands going forwards :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: I am looking at a new project.

So, rather than faff about with minor modifications, I am going to build a tube framed buggy.

To achieve this, I wil need to bend lots of stainless steel 10mm tube, yes, that's right I did say 10mm. What I didn't say is that it will be 1/5 scale and eventually radio controlled :)

So, will a brake pipe bender be man enough? I supose for less than a tenner delivered it is probably worth a punt...

Any ideas?

Now that I have finished all the jobs on the 90 and will have plenty of time on my hands going forwards :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: I am looking at a new project.

So, rather than faff about with minor modifications, I am going to build a tube framed buggy.

To achieve this, I wil need to bend lots of stainless steel 10mm tube, yes, that's right I did say 10mm. What I didn't say is that it will be 1/5 scale and eventually radio controlled :)

So, will a brake pipe bender be man enough? I supose for less than a tenner delivered it is probably worth a punt...

Any ideas?

cant think a brake pipe bender will be man auff but a plumers pipe bender (copper pipe)may take it

Hi, have got one of those tube benders, seen a bit of use now but still works ok, welcome to borrow it if you want, am only over in Bath. Have you thought of maybe using ali tube? ss will be a bit of a pig to weld up in that size/wallthickness.

So ally in that size/wall thickness is easier to weld than stainless steel?

yeah loads easier!! ;) What I mean is that ali tube could lend itself to a lot more ways of connecting into a chassis,for the same or less weight you will get a thicker wall and it will bend much easier,and have a smaller id which can be tapped and a bolt used to make a joint, or if required, will respond quite nicely to using one of the lumiweld type joints. If I was going to tig it up i would opt for ali just because the wall would be thicker and the weld on that size could be dressed easily afterwards, ss will draw oxide through from the back if not purged and look carp very easily, besides being harder to bend without rippling the wall. Of course ss could always be brazed together. Just trying to offer an alternative line of thinking and a tube bender.

Hi, have got one of those tube benders, seen a bit of use now but still works ok, welcome to borrow it if you want, am only over in Bath. Have you thought of maybe using ali tube? ss will be a bit of a pig to weld up in that size/wallthickness.

Ohhh! Thanks very much! :D

Is it for 10mm tube? If so, a forum relay would be great.....

On the welding front..... well I've got to learn sometime!

Well, after a bit of "research" (i.e. listening to a grown up! :D ) I think I might pursue ali - brazing or lumiweld would give me the chance to stick it all together. Besides, the stainless tube was going to cost me £50!!

PB - axles - not sure. There is a 1/5 scale 'yota setup available from the states but not exactly cheap! :blink: So not really an option unless my ship comes in.

Alternatives are going independent and lifting parts from HPI / FG buggies, which would solve a lot of geometry / propshaft issues but doesn't really inspire me!

Last, but probably the most interesting is convincing, let's say, an "interested party" to fabricate some. I don't think it will take much convincing to get him on board! (You know who you are!!! :D :D )

Engine wise it will probably be a 26cc chainsaw stylee motor, although I haven't ruled out electric yet. At one stage I was seeing if I could make a winch motor work!!

I know what you mean!! :P. Can't think of the size of them, but Tamiya Clod buster axles might be worth a look. But they are motor on axle type.

I would not rule out electric yet.. some great 'leccy systems out there :).

This place is a fountain of knowledge for RC offroading: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/