Tube frame buggy

bishbosh

Engine wise it will probably be a 26cc chainsaw stylee motor, although I haven't ruled out electric yet. At one stage I was seeing if I could make a winch motor work!!

The 2 stroke chain saw option will lead you into all sorts of issues. These engines tend to work best at permanent full chat and are very high revving. Tuned pipe exhaust would be interesting ...............

My choice would be a 4 stroke motor from a law mower, either Briggs & Stratton or Tecumseh ........... the smaller motors IIRC are 38cc / 42cc and have a pretty good level of low down torque. Some of the higher end motors are electric start.

why not run a generator from a little 2 stroke engine then run an electric system, i was looking at doing this on about 1/8 1/7 scale model 101 but lack of time brought the project to a halt unfortunately

something about the thought of an engine on it makes it so much cooler than just electric!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, so Ali rod is now in the garage and it bends nicely so that bit is sorted. :)

I am leaning more towards electric now as that addresses low speed crawling, higher speed messing around, reverse and braking all in one go. The genny idea is interesting as that would prolong run times but packaging might be a challenge!

I am now thinking if getting a mini lathe as I fancy the idea of making my own axles (already made my spidertrax diff casing using C.A.D ;) )

Anyone got any advice to offer? All I know is to avoid the multi function lathe - mill jobbies as they are no good. Any comments on this one? That would be the top end of my budget to be honest.

Yep - that's what inspired me to do a spidertrax axle.

Hi Bish, good to hear the cad is up and running!

Yes thanks, but the learning curve is, shall we say "interesting"!

You might find this site interesting too, they have cad models to d/l and work into your design

http://www.huco.com/...cts.asp?cat=261

Oooh, interesting, thanks!

Now what about some lathe advice... ;)

Now what about some lathe advice... ;)

I bought this on Ebay for £180 with cutters. 3 1/2" swing over the bed and 5" swing in the gap on a face plate.

DSC00229.jpg

I was also recommended The Amateur's Lathe by L.H. Sparey as a good accompanying read on small lathe work.

I am currently using to build something a little bigger then yours but also electrically driven.

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00500.jpg

th_BenchTest02050310-1.jpg

Bish, weight is usually a good thing for a lathe to have, makes it less likely to move when you are cutting,I would want at least 750 w motor if not more, bear in mind most pistol drills have about a 500w motor. Power feed is nice if you can get it as it takes the effort out of turning a lot off and can give you a good finish,vari speeds are nice to have but I think a belt on small machines is foolproof and gives you full torque at slow speed,backgear also is good for nice slow speeds.Whether it is imp or metric you can always add a simple dro to the slides so don't rule out older imp machines just because of that, but there is always the same problem, older quality machines that may be past their prime and need a re-furb v's new chinese that lots of people will have horror stories about. I bought a 12/24 chinese machine from toolco in stroud 2 years ago and it has been excellent, bit more than your budget tho.

I would suggest a good old one over a cheap new one for the same money.

Weight is good (until you want to move it) as is a decent motor and drive system. Plenty to be had if you don't need screw cutting.

Get the biggest that you can that suits the scale of work to avoid over working a machine that is too small. I changed my motor from a 350w to a 750w slower running one.

Having a faceplate, self centring 3 jaw and independent 4 jaw chucks would be good.

Best to get from someone who uses them and can show you that it all works properly before you hand over money. Also get the book and have a read first so that you know what you need and what you can dispense with for a bargain.

A bit of progress:

CAD model fully developed :P :

post-121-126978471802_thumb.jpg post-121-12697847202_thumb.jpg

So I set about transforming it into something mor substantial:

post-121-126978472265_thumb.jpg post-121-126978472582_thumb.jpg post-121-126978471468_thumb.jpg

Pretty pleased with that. I know it isn't perfect, but it is good enough fo me! The axle tube will be 20mm OD and is an interference fit with the diff housing.

To give an idea of scale, the housing is 3.5" long, which for 1/5 scale ties up nicely with this:

post-121-12697852745_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well,

I have slowly been plodding away at this, making bits, making mistakes, etc etc.

Anyhow, I have now more or less finished one axle:

post-121-091864700 1283010327_thumb.jpg post-121-054967300 1283010331_thumb.jpg

post-121-091154600 1283010334_thumb.jpg post-121-080660700 1283010337_thumb.jpg

For a sense of scale, the axle is 435mm from hub face to hub face.

Getting the diff to work (well, it's not really a diff as it is really a spool) was a real nightmare but it seems to be OK - we'll see once some power is put through it!

Other progress - one wheel is finished bar the bead lock rings and one stub axle.

Plenty more to do!

Thats really nice. :D

Are you taking orders? lol

Any ideas on what you are going to do for Tires? There are a few sets of Super sized rc truck that might suit, whilst looking fairly scale.

I treid to do a similar thing but out of fairly thick copper and solder.... but soon discovered i was carp at it :rolleyes:

Chris