Shock removal

Well as my excitement grows and I start to prep for my OME set up I have realised that I've never taken shocks or springs off - no sniggers please blink.gif . I'm sure I can do the job but I have some questions.

1) As they are new I don't want to damage the tubes etc how do I stop the shock bodies from turning when I'm undoing the securing bolts

2) Is there a specific order for undoing the shocks and springs - e.g. drivers side front, passenger front etc or does it not matter?

3) The same for fitting the new shocks and springs or does it really not matter unsure.gif

I had a search through various threads and couldn't find any thing so I'm hoping I'm not repeating, repeating, repeating...ohmy.gif

Thanks

2/3. There is not a specific order on which corner to start with. But for the rear, it will make it easier to take the shock off first to get the room to put the old spring out, and definitely to get the new one in unless you are using spring compressors. The front springs will need the shocks off to change them.

Taking the shocks off, if they are no good any more, you can use a pipe wrench type thing to hold them on the back. IIRC, the OME shocks I put on a truck on my work experience, had some flat spots for a spanner on the pin end of the shock. I don't know if this is a common thing.

Hi there, as for the shock removal. Use a strap of some sort, I ues an old safty belt with a bar of some sort. There is no order to removal and fitting.

Good idea for the safety belt. A mate has leant me a set spring compressors so that should make it nice and easy. Great that there's no order either way!

Cheers

Gavin

Strap wrench or pipe pliers to remove the old dampers.

no order of removal, doesn't matter which you do first.

Excellent for the old the old ones but how do I keep my nice shiney ones just that new and shiney?

Great that there's no order..makes it simple for me! blink.gif

Thanks

2/3. There is not a specific order on which corner to start with. But for the rear, it will make it easier to take the shock off first to get the room to put the old spring out, and definitely to get the new one in unless you are using spring compressors. The front springs will need the shocks off to change them.

Taking the shocks off, if they are no good any more, you can use a pipe wrench type thing to hold them on the back. IIRC, the OME shocks I put on a truck on my work experience, had some flat spots for a spanner on the pin end of the shock. I don't know if this is a common thing.

That is just the kind of 'how to' I need. Great. smile.gif

Cheers for that

Go and buy a nut cracker. Machinge Mart do a double set, that's the ones I have.

Cut the nuts as best possible with the nut cracker then you should be able to undo them with an OE spanner.

Don't try to just undo the rear top shock nuts. You will most likely shear the screw thread off the crows foot mounting.

Now the top fronts aree easy. Not so the bottom ones. I ground a piece out of my nut cracker to allow it to fit under the bottom shock screw thread, make sure you gring d the proper side of the nut cracker. Once the cracker has cut one side od the nut. Turn the nut 180 degrees and cut again. Now the nut should come off easily with an OE spanner.

HTH

"Good idea for the safety belt. A mate has leant me a set spring compressors so that should make it nice and easy. Great that there's no order either way!"

Unless your shocks are SEVERAL inches longer than standard there is no need for spring compressors.

Jack up & support the chassis, remove the wheel and using a jack lower the axle watching the brake-lines as you go. With the turret & shock removed the springs will just lift out.

Done this a few times now and on average it takes about 1-hour a corner (fronts slightly more than the rear).

Just a note of caution - be very very careful using spring compressors. They can go wrong very quickly.

As said above, you should have no problem getting the springs out unless they are exceptionally long aftermarket ones.

Don't make the mistake on the front of using a ratchet spanner to do up the new shocks - the pin will come down far enough to stop you getting the spanner back off again!! :lol:

Changing front shocks is the most tedious job on a LR IMHO.

If the front shock turrets haven't been off in a while the turret ring threads and nuts will be shent as well (assuming you go down the route of taking the turrets off) and they aren't metric nuts on mine ...

No they're 5/16" UNF

For the front get some Discovery spring isolators. They should stop some of the front suspension noise.

Once upon a time I got very angry and sat a drill in the shocks.. Don't take that method. You might end up in an oil pool!! huh.gif Find appropriate tools dry.gif

Yes I have work when angry and ended up with a pile of useless components and bloody knuckles sad.gif . So now I only work when I am in a happy place biggrin.gif and always try to have the right tools to hand!

Go and buy a nut cracker. Machinge Mart do a double set, that's the ones I have.

Cut the nuts as best possible with the nut cracker then you should be able to undo them with an OE spanner.

Don't try to just undo the rear top shock nuts. You will most likely shear the screw thread off the crows foot mounting.

Now the top fronts aree easy. Not so the bottom ones. I ground a piece out of my nut cracker to allow it to fit under the bottom shock screw thread, make sure you gring d the proper side of the nut cracker. Once the cracker has cut one side od the nut. Turn the nut 180 degrees and cut again. Now the nut should come off easily with an OE spanner.

HTH

Just so happens I have the nut splitters from MM and haven't used them in anger yet smile.gif but will certainly give them ago as you say if I can't use the crows foot and shock nuts.

Great idea thanks

"Good idea for the safety belt. A mate has leant me a set spring compressors so that should make it nice and easy. Great that there's no order either way!"

Unless your shocks are SEVERAL inches longer than standard there is no need for spring compressors.

Jack up & support the chassis, remove the wheel and using a jack lower the axle watching the brake-lines as you go. With the turret & shock removed the springs will just lift out.

Done this a few times now and on average it takes about 1-hour a corner (fronts slightly more than the rear).

The old shocks and springs are standard. OME shocks and springs are pretty much standard - that is only 25mm lift. The witches hat is the probably the part that I'm not looking forward to removing sad.gif only because the the mounts look sh*^^%d. I think that I'll just go at my speed rather than try and match a pro like you. Less likely to make silly mistakes that way wink.gif.

Thanks

The last set of shocks that I did had a flat ground on the end of the thread so that you could use a spanner to hold them whilst tightening!

Yes the old have that so I'm hoping the OME one will have to as rhat will make it easier. I think that the flat bits at the end of the thread are called crows feet..learn some thing new every day that's my philosopy smile.gif

Thanks