Shock removal

"The witches hat is the probably the part that I'm not looking forward to removing only because the the mounts look sh*^^%d."

Order new turret-rings & turrets before you start, both are cheap enough and that way you know you won't have any delays in putting it all back together.

Standard turrets are fine and really cheap but I replaced mine with standard height galvanised tubular ones for no other reason than being an open design, they are a lot easier to keep clean and prevent a build-up of muck.

Just a note of caution - be very very careful using spring compressors. They can go wrong very quickly.

As said above, you should have no problem getting the springs out unless they are exceptionally long aftermarket ones.

Don't make the mistake on the front of using a ratchet spanner to do up the new shocks - the pin will come down far enough to stop you getting the spanner back off again!! laugh.gif

Changing front shocks is the most tedious job on a LR IMHO.

Well that's definately some thing to watch - especially never having had any experience of using spring compressors. I don't want to get BITTEN blink.gif or loose space to get the spanner off!!

Cheers

If the front shock turrets haven't been off in a while the turret ring threads and nuts will be shent as well (assuming you go down the route of taking the turrets off) and they aren't metric nuts on mine ...

Yep not looking forward to doing the turrets!

Thanks

Apologies if you already know this but it's something that nearly caught me out. The shocks most likely come with new rubbers and large dished washers. Make sure you get the washers the correct way around. When I did mine I thought they looked right with the dishes hugging the rubbers. I later found out they needed to face away from the rubbers to allow movement of the shocks during articulation. Fortunatly I only did the first shock incorrectly until somebody pointed this out to be so all I lost was a bit of time. The chap said if you run it with the washers the wrong way around then there is a possibility the shock rods will bend or snap which would not be good :(

Apologies if you already know this but it's something that nearly caught me out. The shocks most likely come with new rubbers and large dished washers. Make sure you get the washers the correct way around. When I did mine I thought they looked right with the dishes hugging the rubbers. I later found out they needed to face away from the rubbers to allow movement of the shocks during articulation. Fortunatly I only did the first shock incorrectly until somebody pointed this out to be so all I lost was a bit of time. The chap said if you run it with the washers the wrong way around then there is a possibility the shock rods will bend or snap which would not be good sad.gif

VERY GOOD timing!! I did not know that and like you and the person who fitted the current shocks would have fitted the washers the wrong way round! blink.gif

I think that should go in the tech archive some where - Mods what do you think?

BIG thanks for that bit of advice biggrin.gif

CG

I recommend these:

Qsuspension5.jpg

Gwyn Lewis' galvanised open turrets .... Link

Well worth doing whilst its in bits imo.

He does these too:

web-pic-s-089.jpg

Very good price too - link

I've got the the rear 3 positions mounts from Gwn and they're great. I had looked at those open turrets as well so I may yet do them when I get round to the fronts.

Thanks

"Good idea for the safety belt. A mate has leant me a set spring compressors so that should make it nice and easy. Great that there's no order either way!"

Unless your shocks are SEVERAL inches longer than standard there is no need for spring compressors.

Jack up & support the chassis, remove the wheel and using a jack lower the axle watching the brake-lines as you go. With the turret & shock removed the springs will just lift out.

Done this a few times now and on average it takes about 1-hour a corner (fronts slightly more than the rear).

OK, forgetting about the wind and the snow, I have been trying to remove one the rear springs and got NO WHERE fast (and cold sad.gif ) I have jacked up the chassis and removed the wheel. I used a 4x4 trolley jack so it lifts nice and high. The axle did drop but the spring remained NICE and secure (yes I did remove the spring securing plate wink.gif ) What am I doing wrong?

I really need to get these done and if I'm struggling with the rears then it doesn't bode well for the fronts! sad.gif

HELP! blink.gif

Have you removed the shocks?

The shocks reach full extension and stop the axle drooping any further...

Put your jack under the axle before you remove the shocks and lower it slowly. If you just let it drop it could go too far and tear the brakelines off etc.

Have you removed the shocks?

The shocks reach full extension and stop the axle drooping any further...

Put your jack under the axle before you remove the shocks and lower it slowly. If you just let it drop it could go too far and tear the brakelines off etc.

BINGO!!

Knew there would be some thing stupid I had or hadn't done..rolleyes.gif

Thanks for that. Now when it stops snowing I'll give it ago and do it properly this time!

very helpful for me. I'm glad theres another novice here.....I'll be doing this myself soon and those new turrets might be a purchase to make.

Are they as good as solid ones???

You can rely on me to make mistakes!! tongue.gif

Have no idea if they are as good as the witches hats but I'm sure a adult will be along shortly who knows whats what wink.gif

if you mean as good as the standard items, the ones above are better as no mud can get caught in them & retain moisture, I changed mine years ago for some tubular mounts from DLS.

Thanks Ralph. Knew some one who knew some thing would be along soon!

Another set of purchases on the way then!biggrin.gif

Thanks

One tool I keep in the workshop is a siscr jack. They come cheap from the scrappy.

Sit one on the axle under the chassis and you can push the axle down.

Not required on a 110 with heavy duty springs all round.

Just watch the flexi brake pipes for stretch.

One tool I keep in the workshop is a siscr jack. They come cheap from the scrappy.

Sit one on the axle under the chassis and you can push the axle down.

Not required on a 110 with heavy duty springs all round.

Just watch the flexi brake pipes for stretch.

Great idea and cheap as you say too! smile.gif

Thanks

Whenever I am doing springs and shocks I put opposite wheels on my ramps (ie front lhs & rear rhs) then jack on either non ramp side, remove wheel and shock, lower jack and spring almost falls out, no need for spring compressors.

Another vote for Gwyn Lewis kit too.

Picture3357.jpg

Now that is another great idea...glad you rate the Gwyn Lewis kit too smile.gif

Cheers