General Grabber AT2 - Opinions please!

hello all,

im planning on buying some of the above mentioned tyres for my 110. im going to go for 235/85R16, which i believe it the correct size?! currently its got 205's on..

just wanted to ask the panel if they have any opinions of these tyres, whether they are good or i should stay well clear, in case which should i choose ?

i do some greenlaning, playing in the mud in west wales, regular motorways home (southampton to wales) so i want something with reasonably good road holding characteristcs - wet and dry, but wont leave me looking silly when i go offroad - not that im expecting BFG Mud terrain type performance!

oh and any reasonable tyre people in southampton that someone will recommend?

cheers in advance

jason

I had them on my D3 and they were excellent, great in the snow and mud and very little noise on the road and long lasting too, the only downside being that they're a harder compound than the previous Pirelli's so a little less grip on tarmac is the pay-off for the longer life.

Great tyres! I use my disco for work, in and out of fields, off the beaten track and never really had any problems with them.

Also drive up to Birmingham every week, and they perform good on the Motorways, not much road noise.

Deppending on where you are in Southampton and if your willing to travel, worth contacting Micheldever tyres, between Winchester - Newbury,

They were doing them for good prices, i ended up getting a set of 5, But then the cost of fuel might outweigh the saving? still worth a phone call though.

Ian ;)

Can't comment on the tyres, but Tyre Shop in Hedge End have been pretty good for handling LR tyres. Although do be careful about them nipping up the things to excessive torques... I bent my standard brace trying to get a wheel undone, ended up inflating it & driving it over to them (less than 2 miles, so not as bad as it could have been). They were very apologetic!

(Edit - how odd; quote visible in the edit window is Jason's, but what I see in the quoted block when I updated it is basically my text?)

evening all, well i have had my tyres fitted! hooray!

however, this is a long ol' story! on the way to the tyre place, my front driver side developed a puncture, so i called the RAC and it was swapped! no worries :) well i had my tyres changed only 4 mind, the 5th was left as is.

ive just got to southampton and low and behold the same tube (tubed rims) has developed a puncture again grrrrr :angry:

so i still have the spare, but its a 205/85R16, whereas my new tyres are 235/85R16. so can i run the spare for about 8 miles?

i know there is an issue of transmission wind up, but how bad will it get ?? im in a bit of a pickle, because i have to be in college for 9am tomorrow....

replies appreciated :)

jase

if they are tubed they are likely to be the imperial size 205, which is 205/100/16 which is approx 32", 235/85/16 is also approx 32" so you should be fine especially given the short distance you are planning, there wont be any wind up as the diff can cope with a difference!

In an emergency you can always fit a different size tyre and inflate it til they look level (NB emergency off the public road only, low speed etc... no I am not condoning driving dangerously etc etc :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r::lol: )

Do they do the AT2 in 255/85?

Mike

thanks for the swift responses guys :)

no the 205s are metric, so will be a little smaller!! but thats ok if the diff will take up the difference.

hopefully i should be rolling on 4 correct wheels tomorrow afternoon!

once again, cheers for the advice.

mike - im not sure to be honest, but i think so! i chose the 235's because they were similar in size to the old 7.50R16.

N.B if anyone wants a bit of greenlaning around hampshire, PM me! :D

jase

i have them on my 90..

FANTASTIC tyre!.

they are superb on road, offroad, very little noise.

they are quick wearing though compeard to the bfg at.

but people i have spoke to about the tyres they all have a top rating for them.

im not going change my tyre unless i get muds next but i doupt it.

cheers

sam

if they are tubed they are likely to be the imperial size 205, which is 205/100/16 which is approx 32", 235/85/16 is also approx 32" so you should be fine especially given the short distance you are planning, there wont be any wind up as the diff can cope with a difference!

In an emergency you can always fit a different size tyre and inflate it til they look level (NB emergency off the public road only, low speed etc... no I am not condoning driving dangerously etc etc :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r::lol: )

Do they do the AT2 in 255/85?

Mike

Mike,

As far as I know the only tyres you can readily get in 255/85x16 are BFG KM2 Muds and the Cooper Discoverer ST (Like what I have)

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question, but will these wheels fit on the above mentioned tyres?

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/WHEELS_AND_TYRES/Steel_Wheels/16x6.5_Wolf_Rim_-_tubeless_black_primer_coated.html

i know the 16 inch bit is correct, but can someone tell me if the width is correct?

at the moment the tyres are on standard 110 wheels!

can i read the width off the tyre itself??

cheers :D

jase

• 8 months later...

Hi there,

What a weather lately! :o I return from a trip to Germany and it was white hell: 450km in a snow storm. For the first time in my life I used Diff-Lock on an autobhan! :D The Defender once again proved the best car in the world.

Yet, after 52,000km, the car is entering its fourth winter (2 in Russia, 2 in Czech republic: both places with "real" winter) and I am wondering if it isn't time to change my General Grabbers.

They still look good, are obviously used, but not worn out. They lost approximately half of their gum. On the pressed snow and ice it's getting a bit tricky.

I'm thinking of getting new tyres and I have two questions for you guys, the pros:

- Is it ok to buy only 3 tyres and to replace the spare one with one of the old ones? (I'm thinking: do I realy need a brand new tyre on the back og the car?)

- Is there a big upgrade from GG TR to GG AT2? I'm very satisfied with the TR, do you think upgrading to AT2 (and then having to buy 4) is worth it?