UJ comparison.

Maverik

I was changing the UJ's on my LR90 front and rear props. One was a GKN original the other was a non branded part.

I noticed quite a distinct difference between the quality, its illustrated in the attached photo: Lower cup is GKN, and its almost twice as thick as the upper non branded part.

Lesson:- purchase good quality UJ's

post-20087-126850981034_thumb.jpg

If your cup is thicker is not your spider then smaller diameter assuming the needles are the same size? Which part fails?

Good point - generally though bearings need a good rigid base to work properly - especially rollers, if the outer cup is deforming (due to being too thin then this will leed to premature bearing failure.

Its got to be balanced (strength in shaft to bearing surface), and I guess as the original LR prop shafts used GKN bearings then it was for a reason.

It was more an observation, i might be completely wrong.

Notice that in Ralph's link above there are some unbranded UJs in what look a lot like Hardy Spicer boxes. Beware that these are not Hardy Spicer UJs but cheap chocolate types in 'Looky likey' boxes - some even bear a poor imitation brand name - and will last next to no time.

Chris

I just fitted Britpart HD OEM and i've no idea if they are any good but they looked OK. All i need now is a longer nipple as the ones supplied are too short. So my rear prop is now refurbished. :D Another bit completed. (the were £15 ish so i hope they are OK)

Notice that in Ralph's link above there are some unbranded UJs in what look a lot like Hardy Spicer boxes. Beware that these are not Hardy Spicer UJs but cheap chocolate types in 'Looky likey' boxes - some even bear a poor imitation brand name - and will last next to no time.

Chris

same ones on LRSeries http://www.lrseries.com/shop/category/search/?search=universal joint & IIRC last UJ I replaced came in one of those boxes & it looked fine & is still working well.

I bought a pair of those 'fake Hardy Spicer' ones a few years ago - thinking they were the real thing. No grease nipple and they didn't last very long at all (not particularly hard use either). I even sent an e-mail to Hardy Spicer to tell them that their box design was being copied. I got the impression that these were rubbish chinese copies. For less than a fiver, you are going to be buying rubbish in my opinion.

Les.

Don't think so...I ordered them for my Defender rear prop and they seemed to fit all right. Good quality items as far as I could tell too, just no nipples to speak of. I have a pair of new GKN Series III front swivel UJs in the workshop and you're right, they don't have the grease nipples.

The part numbers are certainly different too, RTC3690 for the Series steering UJs and RTC3458 for the rear prop UJ I used.

Looking at LR Series' site here it does say 'non grease nipple type' and then goes on to say that the grease nipple type is TVC100010, which is listed as a heavy duty UJ.