DEFENDER HINGES

Hi guys, will the TD5 door hinges with the washer be a straight replacement for the rusty bleeding ones on my 1998 Defender?

Am thinking about getting them stove enammelled, has anyone done it or see any problems?

This has probably been asked before so sorry if I'm repeating old stuff.

Thanks

Bob R

hello, sorry I am making a habit of hijacking, but i was talking about etching primer this evening as we have patches of white corrosion on our hinges coming through the paintwork too, both on door hinges and the vents on the bulkhead, the latter particularly bad. Am I right in thinking most of the framework is steel, but that the hinges and door panels are aluminium? Would it help to put rubber/foam gaskets underneath the hinges, to prevent contact with steel body parts, as well as etching and re-painting? Or would wax oyle be as good?

Thank you and sorry to interrupt!

Olivia

Would need dismantling for the stove enamel process, might be worth the effort/cost if it keeps the corrosion away, though good etch primer & decent paint would do the job if applied correctly.

The O/E hinges are a special iron called SG or ductile iron. It has similar properties to a mild steel so will take a load whereas cast or grey iron is very brittle. I think the problem is the wear point between the inner and outer hinge, any coating wears off and you end up with metal to metal and therefore rust. I also think that if the screws / bolts catch the coating as they're fitted and take it to bare metal, this is also a rust point. I will prove / disprove my theory when I replace mine.

I work in a foundry and keep toying with the idea of casting these in stainless, sure I could do it a lot cheaper than other ones available in the markey place. The problem in the cost of tooling to start with.

Bob R

There are nipples for greese refil behind them. I think they are simply artful!!!!

Dan, where did you buy those from? i'd kill for a set of those hinges, but can't afford them. Would you be prepared to trade them for my wife? For keeps!

hello, sorry I am making a habit of hijacking, but i was talking about etching primer this evening as we have patches of white corrosion on our hinges coming through the paintwork too, both on door hinges and the vents on the bulkhead, the latter particularly bad. Am I right in thinking most of the framework is steel, but that the hinges and door panels are aluminium? Would it help to put rubber/foam gaskets underneath the hinges, to prevent contact with steel body parts, as well as etching and re-painting? Or would wax oyle be as good?

Thank you and sorry to interrupt!

Olivia

the bulkhead, door frames are steel with alloy skins on the doors, remove the white corrosion back to bare metal, treat with etch primer then undercoat & top coat in body colour, a rubber gasket would be OK, but there should be a plastic gasket between each hinge part & the item it's attached too.

item 6 page 789, 4 per door

Just in the process of replacing my hinges. I used lots of primers, lots of paint and lots of lacquer... and found the bolts wouldn't seat in the holes properly.I had to scrape a load of new paint out of the holes and retouch by hand.

Just a note of warning. ;)

Dan, where did you buy those from? i'd kill for a set of those hinges, but can't afford them. Would you be prepared to trade them for my wife? For keeps!

Hmmm I must think over it!!Upon second thought, I must say no!!huh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

If they aren't the hinges with the plastic washer or whatever, heat is probably your friend. Try gentle warmth like maybe drop them in boiling water for a bit. I'm trying to find someone to sherardize them, unless anyone here has already tried that, so I have this to come.

Nigel

I took a small pin punch to the one's I'm going to convert using rusty nissan praries conversion, You'll need to turn the hinges upside down and place into a vice using the pin punch I then not so gently tapped the hinge pins out took me all of less than 5 minutes for the lot