Trip through France to Spain

keithjh

Hi All,

In June/July we are planning to drive to our house in southern Spain instead of flying. I have done this before but have always used the autoroutes and paid the tolls etc.

Her indoors has decided that she would like to avoid the long boring autoroutes,and do the journey at a more pleasant rate of knots. Has anyone done it this way and if so any reccomended routes to take, vehicle will be a 110 300tdi CSW with rapier trailer stuck on the back.

Any ideas etc greatly appreciated or would i just be better sticking to the autoroutes, i would ideally like to do it in 4 days from Calais. House is near Granada if that helps

Regards

Keith

It will make what is an already long journey extremely long!

I had the same intentions on a trip round France a few years ago and gave it up after less than 50 miles of minor roads. The constant changes in speed limits was infuriating and made you feel you were making little or no progress at all.

Although i've never done it personally, i agree with bishbosh.

You wouldnt drive A-Roads going from Preston to Somerset, you'd get on the motorway, get to somerset in half the time and having used less fuel and then have more time and money left to spend at your destination. Just because its abroad i dont think its any different.

I remember doing those trips as a kid before the popularity of air flight. It was also prior to the motorway network being anywhere near it was today, late 60's early 70's, ie all A roads.

The fact that I can remember these journeys as a pre-teen shows that they were anything but pleasant. Even stopping on the way doesn't help because the journey is always there.

Hi! If you´ll take the Economical option on the ViaMichelin from Calais to Grenada, it will give you this:

Costs 174.27 EUR Toll 0.00 EUR | Petrol 174.27 EURTime26h37 which 07h36 on motorwaysDistance1935 km which 764 km on motorways

Looks like a good mixmatch to me...

There are plenty of non-toll Autoroutes in France. I would suggest perhaps just getting off whenever there is a Peage section coming up. There will likely be a good alternative route but it will be slower, there will be trucks and probably towns/villages. Try it and see if you like it, if not then do as Bish did and just wear the cost of the Autoroute. IIRC Spain is easier to negotiate on free motorways.

It is worth bearing in mind that even on the Autoroutes it will take you around 12 hours to get to the Pyrenees and another 10-12 to Granada? That makes a minimum of 22 hours (2 days if you are sensible about it!) driving before you start thinking about slower roads.

I have an ambition to undertake a similar journey by moped, just riding on small roads all the way, camping or stopping in cheap hotels. It is going to take weeks but that is the point really, to see the countryside rather than how many different types of Armco and roadkill I can see on the motorway! :)

Chris

I have driven to the south of France several times in the past (from the UK and from Germany) without once using a Peage and you realistically need the best part of 2 days and that will be more or less constant driving. It only really makes sense if you combine it with some sight seeing on route. Add another couple of days and make the trip into a holiday and it will be fun. Just do it to save the tolls and get there without enjoying the drive then you'd be better off on the motorways

Its more about how you structure your journey, and speed of travel , I have been to Millau with a V8 Discovery and a 2 axle caravan, avoiding toll autoroutes , and really enjoyed it , the speed and progress was relaxed. I have also been to Naples with a 110 V8 CSW , towing a Sat tracking dish on a triaxle trailer , urgency of delivery was the primary function so autobahn etc was all the way , at legal+abit non stop . If you have a time constraint then go the way that allows the easiest likelyhood of meeting the deadline, and put up with the boredom. JMHO

p.s. from my experience just be thankful its not the Nullabor ;)

I have to agree with all above.

We drove to Switzerland via a stop in France, & found that you could go all around the houses to avoid paying tolls.

It's just a case of the pace/time you have to do it.

We used the autoroutes (300tdi 110) & enjoyed it.

It's not cheap, but then nothing over there is at the moment. :rolleyes:

Just remember some of the primary routes can be a pain.