Painting headlight surrounds/grille

My 2002 Defender surround and grille look quite nasty in faded black.

Anyone sprayed theirs (silver aka newer models, gunmetal or black ?)

WHat sort of paint is used ?

Im interested in this answer also. Im about to buy new surrounds and a grill and was thinking of spraying them to match the body colour.

they need a plastic primer first so the colour coat will stay on, then the primer/colour of your choice, or just wash & polish with black boot polish, it works on the black arch flares, so should work on the light surrounds/grille.

Nick,

I have a spare black light surround if you want to give it a go first, you can have it for postage and a forum donation.

Jason.

I have to get some more Chawton white from the supplers on Friday, I think Ill get some suitable primer and paint at the same time. I think a dark silver/gunmetal would go OK. Ill paint the headlight surrounds and grille at the same time.

I might even get the camera out to record the progress (this is being dont for purely cosmetic reasons, so has to take the appropriate priority).

Jason, Ill pass on the prototype for the moment, it may be some months before this gets done!

Thankyou Anderzander!

I used a aerosol can satin black to spray mine and later changed the colour to silver using again a aerosol but silver wheels spray this time! the grill and headlamp surrounds are designed to be easily paintable as Land Rover themselves even paint them when they colour coded the county range in the late 80's.

simply use standard grey primer and then any paint you want!

mine was originally coloured coded red as my landy was a 1989 110 csw, and since then I have sprayed them several times. see timeline

scrapatgibsonskendal.jpg

walnascar3rdtimelaningaug09.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

the bonnet is GRP and from here: http://www.boltonbits.net/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=bonnet&osCsid=158a3fb731c3588ee5f5ffdeff4797a7&x=0&y=0

they do one also that is reinforced so you can stand on it! but it is £100 more, they do some superb led lamps too!

pathfinder, nice bonnet. Wouldnt mind one myself.

Was it a straight fit, or do they need the catches etc fitting?

pathfinder, nice bonnet. Wouldnt mind one myself.

Was it a straight fit, or do they need the catches etc fitting?

they are a quick easy fit realy, the threaded holes etc for the striker plate at the front are already there and all you need to do is remove your current bonnet, fit striker plate etc to new one and fit in slide hinges into the bulkhead supports and mark the holes to be drilled on the bonnet, then simply fit the hinges :D

I did the grill on my Range Rover classic.

Popped into Halfords and brought some of there plastic primer and satin black.

Worked a treat and it holds up well even after a few off road trips, still looks good after a wash.

Wash the plastic with soapy water first then off you go.

Good luck

they are a quick easy fit realy, the threaded holes etc for the striker plate at the front are already there and all you need to do is remove your current bonnet, fit striker plate etc to new one and fit in slide hinges into the bulkhead supports and mark the holes to be drilled on the bonnet, then simply fit the hinges :D

Thanks a very nice looking 110, red and the not OTT mods really suit it. :)

Thankyou top90,

I originally planned to make it into a camel trophy film unit replica strangely enough but changed my mind knowing that I would have to keep it looking like a camel trophy support vehicle rather than add my custom touch, (still have 3L of sandglow paint). I have been careful to not make it look tacky or ridiculous and tried to make it look proffessional like it would have come from special vehicles or foley etc my next cosmetic add on is a kbx grill and headlamp surrounds in silver then thats it for cosmetics :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Well I removed the grille and surrounds.

Got the paint from Halfauds and special primer.

This morning I thought Id wash the bits down ready for pre-paint, I tried removing the grille from A/C panel (which is in the garage)..........

Some bright spark at Land Rover decided to use brass bushes and low grade steel machine screws with cross head tops. You can guess the rest. ....

I got one out complete with brass bush, but the others are in fast, and the heads are b*ggered. I have put WD40 on them and come in for a tea, but I can see the grinder making an appearance to cut a slot head in (access is limited with grille fins in the way of mole grips).

Rant over...