td5 wheel bearings

I need to replace both front wheel bearings on my 2001 TD5.

Being post 1999 they are currently of the staked nut and spacer type, which given that I have am supposed to change the spacer based on the end float, seems like a pain...

so I believe it's possible to change this to the far more adjustable and home workshop friendly, older double nut type of setup....

Does anyone have a complete list of parts required to swap over?

Are the hubs and stub axles the same?

Any advice much appreciated... I need to do something with the truck tomorrow night, either rebuilding with the standard setup, or swapping over to the older style..

Cheers

Mark

Just to add, the old style had a locating groove in the stub axle for the tab of the lock washer.

The TD5 axle has a wider tapered flat, onto which the TD5 nut is staked.

This means that the tab on the lock washer doesn't have anywhere proper to locate on the TD5 axle.

I didn't particularly like the look of the tab just sitting against the edge of the taper, but it does work.

Some older axles have flats on rather than slots anyway. Hopefully the lock washers from one of those will fit the TD5 axle. Note - I have found there are 2 different sizes of lockwasher with flat, the difference is very small, but enough for one not to fit the other.

Some older axles have flats on rather than slots anyway. Hopefully the lock washers from one of those will fit the TD5 axle. Note - I have found there are 2 different sizes of lockwasher with flat, the difference is very small, but enough for one not to fit the other.

Oh right, I didn't know that. It'd be better to have the lock washer with the flat then obviously. Must get some.

LRSeries shows the following info. I wonder which one fits the TD5 then?

Part number: FRC8002

Applicable Models:

Land Rover Series 1948-84

Defender to vin KA493055

Discovery 1 to vin JA032854

Range Rover Classic to vin JA624516

Product Description:

Hub nut lock tab washer, for early type with single tooth.

FRC8002-HUB-NUT-LOCK-WASHER.jpg

Part number: FTC3179

Applicable Models:

Defender 87>

Discovery 1 89-98

Range Rover Classic 92-94

Product Description:

Wheel bearing lock nut lock washer.

(large flat)

FTC3179-STUB-AXLE-NUT-LOCK-WASHER.jpg

I had problems with my flat washers when doing the hubs on the rear axle I got from you Mark, that had the flat-style stub axle. In the end I filed a bit out of the lock washer to make it fit. I still have some flat ones I think, and some hub nuts too perhaps, I will have a look when I go down the workshop later.

There may well be two types, for what it's worth. I have no idea which would fit which though. Microcat isn't very clear when it comes to hub arrangements. It only shows one type for 1993-on (ie. the change to rear discs). They then list two types of hub nut, and some spacers, but I think if you punch in your Td5's VIN it will tell you what it *should* have at least?

300 tdi defender nuts and washers will be the same fitment as the td5 ones in terms of stub axle - same flat etc. we do this conversion quite often here - it's so much easier than that spacer and also means you can adjust your wheel bearings when they get a little wear in them.

we have seen issues with non genuine Land Rover tab washers not fitting properly a simple dremmelling makes them fit but genuine ones are pence anyway.

Steve

Well, I now have all parts I think I need to get this sorted.

Quick question - do I need to keep the spacer in between the bearings, or does this become redundant?

Cheers

Mark

You should end up with:

Bearing | Thick washer | Nut | Thin (lock) washer | Nut.

Thick washer is FTC3185

nuts are both FRC8700

thin (lock) washer is FTC3179

TD5 stub axle is identical to the 300tdi one, which those part numbers are for.