Loud chattering when driving over 15mph

Ruurd

OK you gurus,

Can anyone give me pointers as to why my Landy is making a loud chattering noise when I drive her? It starts at speeds over 10-15mph, does not vary in pitch and only changes slightly when applying clutch pedal. Sometimes the noise goes away when she has reached running temperature.

Pointers? Thoughts?

TIA!

OK you gurus,

Can anyone give me pointers as to why my Landy is making a loud chattering noise when I drive her? It starts at speeds over 10-15mph, does not vary in pitch and only changes slightly when applying clutch pedal. Sometimes the noise goes away when she has reached running temperature.

Pointers? Thoughts?

TIA!

Hmmm... my first guess is actually something electrical <_< . If you turn all the lights and heated stuff on and then off while driving at 15mph what happens?

I was going to say the wife... but thats anything under 15mph...

And the note changes with speed too:

Have you broken down again -> we'll never get there -> doesn't go very well -> why is it so noisy -> slow down I can't hear myself think -> (shouted) How many MPG does it do at this speed? (covers 0 - 50 mph)

Is the noise constant regardless of gear or engine speed or road speed?

If so, I suggest someone has tied a monkey to your truck, who gets annoyed when it gets windy.

Possible. Pitch is constant, no sound below 15mph, volume increases to max quickly, slight difference between clutch pedal depressed or not depressed, no change when idling while landy has speeds over 15 mph.

I'm not sure but the sound seems louder on the left side. Maybe a bearing?

Possible. Pitch is constant, no sound below 15mph, volume increases to max quickly, slight difference between clutch pedal depressed or not depressed, no change when idling while landy has speeds over 15 mph.

I'm not sure but the sound seems louder on the left side. Maybe a bearing?

The constant pitch bit probably rules out the engine, gearbox, drive train, axles, diffs and wheels, cos I can't think of anything that gets to a maximum at 15mph and stays there?

Could you get a recording or video sound track of it for us? I'm a bt stumped (have you tried the lights test I suggested above?)

A couple of thoughts:Viscous fan is not viscous and the bearing is going.

A piece of plastic (bag for example) caught underneath and blowing about.

That's all I can think of - even the viscous fan is pushing it.. Tricky one!

Roger

I was being semi-serious about the monkey.

All I can think of is something blowing in the wind. As errol says, constant pitch probably* rules out all bearings etc.

*you can never be sure with a Land Rover :lol:

A couple of thoughts:Viscous fan is not viscous and the bearing is going.

It's loud. Viscous fan can't be that, got a Kenlowe kit.

Prop UJs? Though you'd expect it to change in proportion to the speed.

I'd suggest you "allow the fault to develop" as we call it at work - when it falls off it'll be quite obvious what it was... :)

Prop UJs have been replaced. One of them was really borderline... (front prop on the transfer box side was b-a-d...) Chatter is from before that and still happens.

could it be something as simple as brake pads in the callipers???huh.gif

i have had this before on old callipers worn on the face that the pads sit in and they chatter on the inner part of the disc that mounts on the hub?? just a thought and prob worth a look and some fresh copper slip plonked on

could it be something as simple as brake pads in the callipers???

Metallic sound? Which can be obnoxiously loud? Hmmm. Sometimes when it does that it feels like it's breaking slightly. OK... Something to have a look at.

Metallic sound? Which can be obnoxiously loud? Hmmm. Sometimes when it does that it feels like it's breaking slightly. OK... Something to have a look at.

I've only heard brake pads 'clack' when coming to a stop, as the pad moved up and hit the caliper.

If they were doing it continuously, it'd certainly be audible. But, does the noise stop when you brake? If so, then it's probably not the pads.

I like errol's suggestion of something really gone on the suspension, and rattling about while on the move. Press the clutch and the load changes, axle moves - changing the sound. Doesn't explain absence of noise when warmed up though.

I would have though that if you can get it on a ramp, you should be able to spot the problem/monkey.

Thrust bearing ?

Springs on the clutch come loose ?

I thought about that. I disengaged the transferbox then revved engine while going through gears, no sound.

As a matter of fact yes I thought about clutch problems.

Turned out to be a cover on the transfer box being loose. Mechanics fastened it, done.

From the above I would suspect that the cover was not tightened down correctly last time it was off (it may have been a rushed or slapdash reassembly) and hence I would spend a happy hour or two checking every fastener I could see (and some I can't - the top bell-housing bolts for example: on mine they were not much more than finger tight...). Also - it would probably be worth checking or changing all of the transmission fluids while you are at it.

Roger