Chassis repair sections - front

OK, hypothetical question time.

Let's imagine that my step-daughter pulled out at a junction in my pride and joy and was struck by a Zafira car doing about 25mph.

Imagine that I can could repair the wing, winch bumper, front lights, lack of door fit, etc.

My question is this: does the world make a front RH (offside) chassis repair section, new, including the whole front crossmember, rad pillars, engine mount, spring mount, PAS box holes, etc. all the way back to the bulkhead outrigger. If the hypothetical answer to that is yes, do they do mail order and will would they stamp my VIN on it for me???

Obviously this hasn't happened yet, so no photos :ph34r:

wouldnt the car get written off, as it would cost alot to repair?

There are degrees of writing-off (A,B,C and D) and I am just wanting to be prepared (hypothetically). It could be that it is economical if the labour element is zero (me).

What year is your landy?

Could you get a chassis with a rotten rear end(of the same age), and cut off the chassis sections you need, and re stamp your chassis number onto the section?

And obviously take alot of photos so that you can justify the work?

also, googled land rover chassis repair sections and found this old lr4x4 thread:

Chassis repair sections

Hope that helps :)

What year is your landy?

Could you get a chassis with a rotten rear end(of the same age), and cut off the chassis sections you need, and re stamp your chassis number onto the section?

And obviously take alot of photos so that you can justify the work?

also, googled land rover chassis repair sections and found this old lr4x4 thread:

Chassis repair sections

Hope that helps :)

That'd be 1988 ... :P

Interesting idea, but <tongueincheek> it hasn't happened yet, so I'll leave off a wanted ad </tongueincheek>

I have emailed Designa Chassis to see what they would charge ...

Many thanks,

Errol.

Hypothetically the most it would cost would be a nice new galv chassis, what state is the rest in, it might make hypothetical sense to swap the chassis rather than repair it, I think you would need to go over the measurements extremely carefully to check the potential accident has not warped the rest of the chassis

mike

Hypothetically the most it would cost would be a nice new galv chassis, what state is the rest in, it might make hypothetical sense to swap the chassis rather than repair it, I think you would need to go over the measurements extremely carefully to check the potential accident has not warped the rest of the chassis

mike

Ah, well, in the hypothetical parallel reality we ae currently navigating, the rest of the chassis could indeed be "laddered" by about 5mm. The little pixie sent out by the body shop tugged his beard and said "nah mate, new chassis, not worth repairing". Since one day I will wake up from this dream and go back to reality (one in which the insurer will hypothetically write it off) I am trying to gather information while I have the chance.

A new chassis would only be an option (at £1k+VAT) if I did it myself, which leads me from DreamworldTM to back into NIGHTMARE-O-RAMA © inhabited by SWMBO and her insatiable demands (for house maintenance :P )

Anyway, hypothetically breaking a 90TD?

have you measured chassis diagonally?5mm is if my memory is correct,is within the laughable factory tolerance.if you need the dimensions i have them in a factory workshop manual.

If this accident were to happen, then hypothetically I would be most interested in the LR dimensions! (Please)

The 5mm is an imaginary dimension based on etimating how bad it might be (if it were to happen, of course).

I would diffo say it will be written off due to its age and total cost of repair. CAT D would be may bet, have a word with the assessor when he/she comes out to view it to see how much to buy it back. Shouldn't be more than a few hundred quid.

Any car etc.. now over 2-3yrs old thats been in an accident seems to go bye bye to the scrap yard or sold off to accident repair centres

As for the VIN I dont see any issues for the repair, as the VW Camper program that has been on discovery Turbo a few times the restorer went to town and cut nearly the whole shell apart inc the VIN, the guy had to go looking for the piece of metal with the VIN on it lol he said he would just hang onto it - dont no what hassle tho it would cause come MOT time

Marty

from the Defender workshop manual. to help save your 90 from your evil :ph34r::o plans to end it's life :P

* cough *

* splutter *

End its life? It isn't even damaged yet <_<

Thanks for the info Ralph, it looks like the potential damage may be just enough to put it back into LR tolerances :ph34r:

After a similar accident to your non-accident being caused moreover by a similar relation, I bought mine back and got it repaired. But the insurers said they'd only sell it back if it was Cat C, not D. If you were to be in this position it might pay you to persuade the assessor (I had to grovel a bit) that Cat C was where it had to be, as once Cat D there is no coming back - I then had to buy it back for 26% of pre-accident value, and Richards provided a solution as the front had bent 3" from straight (it didn't look that bad). The insurers weren't happy with letting me have it till I convinced them it would be definitely on a new chassis.

Regards

Nigel

^^ Thats not quite correct imo.

there are four categories as far as i know:

A - Vehicle to be crushed

B - Vehicle can be used for parts, but cannot be returned to the road, as damage is too extensive.

C - Vehicle has suffered major but repairable damage, and can be returned to the road once its passed a VIC check and an MOT

D - Vehicle has suffered minor but repairable damage, and can be returned to the road simply by MOTing it.

So basically you can only usually buy it back if its C or D.

B - Vehicle can be used for parts, but cannot be returned to the road, as damage is too extensive.

C - Vehicle has suffered major but repairable damage, and can be returned to the road once its passed a VIC check and an MOT

D - Vehicle has suffered minor but repairable damage, and can be returned to the road simply by MOTing it.

Thanks for the comments, that's my understanding too, should the worst ever happen :rolleyes:

I think mine would be C, but it will would not be repaired by the insurer as the repair cost (including astronomical labour charges) may exceed the gross national debt of Greece the value of the vehicle - a 1988 90TD hard-top-with-windows, in good-ish nick, is not the most sought after model ...

I'll keep you all up-to-date with dvelopments in la-la-land as and when: I may be back for more technical details and advice soon (should the worst ever ... you know the score :lol: )

Yes quite right - I rememder it had to be C, got B & D confuseb.

Nigel

Follow-up question (1):

If I were to re-build the 90 on a good secondhand chassis of comparable age, from a UK registered donor vehicle, do I incur the wrath of IVA as an "Amateur Built"? My reading is that it wouldn't be "structurally modified", but it wouldn't be "rebuilt" either, as I'm not a professional!