winch motor

pritch1

well time has come for my 8274 winch motor to die so its time for a new one, here are my options:

1, all singing all dancing 6hp warm motor

2, come up 4.6hp motor £160

3,superwinch ep9 4.6hp motor £140

4, something else you recomend.

the confusing bit for me is that i thought the come up and superwinch motors were the same but they are priced differently on P.G. Winches

so what are your thoughts

6hp XP without question.

we winched my 90 yesterday nearly 3 max length pulls and lowered out in between the pulls to get punches. motor never complained once.

check other suppliers for prices as they canbe had for reasonable money.

It's all much of a muchness

The Come Up and EP motors use the lowest current at max load

The Iscra and Bowmotor are very quick and reliable if fitted properly

The XP is the best for spares

The Ramsey 6hp is the most powerful but soooo expensive

I would go by price Vs build quality

Your best option is to talk to Phil Gordon, get prices and then talk reliability. Phil repairs a bigger variation of winches and winch options than anyone else in the 4x4 industry. He is also very active out of the tiny weeny world of Challenge/4x4. For example, knackermen use a lot 8274's as they are fast - when you get paid by the job, you need speed - they need reliability as well and are not swayed by 4x4 marketing...

OK, my choice would either be an XP motor or a Bowmotor. Both are excellant although slightly differant. Here's what I've been able to deduce;

- The 6hp is slightly moe powerful, runs very cool and will take A LOT of abuse. They're also readily available.

- The bowmotors are possibley slightly tougher (the 12v ones will run at 24V with good reliability whereas the 6hp requires some mods to do the same) although not quite as powerful. They are slightly cheaper, though.

I've run a 6hp for a year or so and been very happy with it. I'm probably going over to 24V Bowmotors, though, they're an excellant, powerful 24V setup although I may play with overvolted 12V motors when I've got more spare time/money.

hmm seems that a 6.0hp motor might be the way to go.

how do they stand up to 24v's and what mods do they have to do as i was contemplating this for the moments when a fast line speed would be nice :)

hmm seems that a 6.0hp motor might be the way to go.

how do they stand up to 24v's and what mods do they have to do as i was contemplating this for the moments when a fast line speed would be nice :)

All the soldered joints need to be replaced with silver solder. Other mods will also need to be done to the winch to cope with the speed and the power; if you do it to a standard winch you'll start eating gear, breaking mainshafts and blowing the brake off the mainshaft.

i can easily silver solder the motor but would it be worth me going with the bow motor if i want to run this idea are they better suited to this application or is the warn motor still the way to go.

Guest diesel_jim

Phah..... you lot want to get some hairs on yer chest like me, and use one of these:

Tirfor1.jpg

:D:D:D:D

(although my 90 & 110 both have 8274's!!) B)

i can easily silver solder the motor but would it be worth me going with the bow motor if i want to run this idea are they better suited to this application or is the warn motor still the way to go.

Hmmm, I'd think about the Bow but either would be a good choice. I suggest having a word with Jim Marsden (aka D90SV); the man knows his stuff.

Apparently the boys in Aus run them like this with few problems. I think you do burn them out but only one every few events. :blink:

Oh well that's OK then... :huh:

Why not get the motor re-wound, or buy one off the shelf, that is to the right spec or at least to a spec that will be reliable rather than continuously melt motors?

Sorry if this is dumb, it just seems strange to use something that is so obviously at it's limits and is going to fail with monotonous regularity. The amount it would cost to get a few custom motors wound can't be that much different by the time you've melted a few decent normal ones.

Hmmm, is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour? I think I'll run for cover now and admire the H14W sat on my patio :ph34r:

Oh well that's OK then... :huh:

Why not get the motor re-wound, or buy one off the shelf, that is to the right spec or at least to a spec that will be reliable rather than continuously melt motors?

Sorry if this is dumb, it just seems strange to use something that is so obviously at it's limits and is going to fail with monotonous regularity. The amount it would cost to get a few custom motors wound can't be that much different by the time you've melted a few decent normal ones.

Hmmm, is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour? I think I'll run for cover now and admire the H14W sat on my patio :ph34r:

Not sure why they do it that way, I think it's to get MASSIVE speed (an 8274 that's twice as fast is pretty quick!). Custom motors is one way to go, its something I'd like to look at but making sure you get the right thing can be difficult...

Apparently the boys in Aus run them like this with few problems. I think you do burn them out but only one every few events. :blink:

erm um

This seems a bit wrong ?. If this is the case why not save weight and have no air in the tyres, and save on oil weight in engine gearbox and axles - just replace each event :huh:

Nige

can't see the point when an XP will pull 120ft/min retrieval

off the shelf for £200 approx

just see how many are inuse.

personal experience is worth tons over advert/sellers speak.

anyone recommending anything remember to ask them what they are using.