still looking for a sollution for the V8

henry-john

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Mustang-4-6-V8-Engine-new-complete-/170521402536?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b3de1ca8#ht_985wt_1139

an engine like above, would this fit into a range rover classic?

could i make this engine and a ZF auto (rangie) work without any problem/adaptorplates etc?

Am looking for a powerfull engine to fit into my rangie

(preferreably a rover V8 4,6 or bigger :lol: )

if anyone has anything lying around and would like to sell @ good price, please mail me

henry_john_serck@msn.com

kind regards

Henry

Yes and No

Yes =

Decent BHP, reliable, erm thats about it

No =

B****d to fit, adapters and clutch / torque convertor "Fun"

Trickier call to INsurers "Hello I have a 110 with a Ford Mustang V8 ....hello ?" <click>

Exhaust issues, may find manifolds are on the chassis vs Rover V8 easy

Rover V8 of any spec easy to fit, parts off the shelf "Hello Halfords ?...I need a TPS for a Mustang ? ..Hello ? " <click>

ECU and running will be fun and or expensive

Personally I would still go Rover if you wnat a quick n easy route, exotics / odd engine combos can be

the stuff of nightmare, one of my old racers had a Lancia Interale Engine mated to a Caravanette box :blink:

took me as long to get the engine gearbox fitted working as it did to build the rest of the buggy

(I then wrote if off on the 1st Safari outing :rofl: )

HTH

Nige

Chevy 350? Supposed to be a straightforward swap, hence it's choice for converters like Overfinch.

A very straightforward conversion, you give them £30K and they fit an old Chevy ;) Conversion plates are available, I have one that's currently out if anyone want's to copy it, but it still a shed load of work getting everything right.

To the OP, don't under estimate the amount of work (and hidden expenses) of fitting anything other than a Rover.

• 2 weeks later...

Always fancied one from a Silver Sahdow; aluminium so not too heavy, SU carbs, and built to certain standard.

Nigel

When they left Crewe certainly, but unless it's been looked after it will suffer in the same way as the rover lump but cost rather a lot more to rebuild/replace! When you consider the car's status when new it's amazing how many dogs there are for sale, most of them ex wedding cars that have been run on a shoe-string & that's probably where 'your' engine would come from!

One from wayback, Engine Swap Bunfight Thread for discussing wacky ideas for engines.

I actually got close to Nissan Skyline (RB26DETT) lumps but even a 500bhp+ monster doesn't have anywhere near the grunt of a Rover V8 (yes, or TDi) off idle. Fundamentally, car engines seem to be a bit of a dead end unless you go big, hauling a 2ton 4x4 about there really isn't much substitute for cubic displacement.

• 3 weeks later...

Look out for a TVR lump, based heavily on the Rover V8 but with ported heads, high lift cams and tuned EFi.

Based on yes, but tuned for poke not grunt & even worse coupled to a slush-box, probably stall when you put it in 'D' The RRC is just not designed for that sort of power anyway & you'd probably kill youself or someone else in the process. Good luck finding an insurer as well I would think.

So 300BHP in a RRC, what about 330BHP in a 90?

Nige, you've been called up to explain yourself!  :lol:

I have 220-230BHP in my RRC, and find that 'enough', I can't see that adding a third as much again will make the vehicle lethal, even on the Simex...

Sprintex supercharger conversions which allegedly gave 300BHP were relatively common on the RRCs, the autobox was upgraded, but the brakes etc were left alone AFAIR.

As for stalling a TVR lump with an autobox, that's very unlikely, especially as you have an extra air valve wired up for most installations, yes, even with Megasquirt :)

The later TVR-made V8 may be a bit better than the RV8 in some ways but I can't see it being much of a revolution, and as has been said it's tuned to pull a few kilos of plastic around the place not 2 tonnes of 4x4.

Big high-RPM BHP figures are fine in light sportscars but don't make for an easy life in a 4x4, you want low-down grunt and a good power band.

^^^

:rofl:

I have had a selection of things over the years where I have managed (even with the right equipement) not to somehow kill myself

Kawasaki Z900, 750 Triple H2, GSX1100 + spondon frame and Mr Turbo unit, 750 Kawaka Turbo, Tweaked Z1300, CBX with NOS (bought as was -

erm - crashed 3 weeks later :) Yam Thunderace, Early fireblade (twaeked) ..then I gave up bikes after a "Fair" spell in hospital :rofl:

and took up LRs

A 4.5 Race JED is "Quite Rapid" and a 2 ton soft sprung LR with Aerodynaics of a small bungalow, and the handling characteristics

of a Drugged Drunk Pig on Rollerskates makes for a perfect vehicle :lol: insurance is fine, and after a call to them re a 5.2 Triple

Plenumed Race V8 after some sniggering on theior part again insurance no prob

Helps being an old git :P and the previous "Offs" with bikes just involved me, the tarmac, and A&E :( with no claims :D

Frankly when I was yonger a smart car with a plug removed prob posed a greater threat to insurers than the 90 + 5.2 now

I used to be young and stupid, now I'm older still stupid but see the signs earlier :)

Yes a 300+ BHP 5.2V8 in a 90 is completely daft and pointless - But I can so I have / will be

other than the above.... your real issue and point is :P ?

Nige

could not agree more currently begining to build a 90 for the fast land rover comp using one of my 5.2 engines done to the max so will be intresting don't have to worry about insurance as i have a traders policy too!

as for power and killing somebody my range rover has 250 bhp with no ill effects to the brakes or suspension.

i have also fitted a 4.6 hi comp hi out put race engine to a d2 running new but standard brakes and suspension again with no ill effects!

in all the time i have worked on land rover i have only seen one overfinched classic with uprated brakes most just had new discs and pads fitted

Dirro, even with ABS I get the Simex howling under heavy breaking, think the knobbles confuse it...

BUT... back to semi-on-topic, just because you have more than the designed amount of power, it doesn't mean you have to drive like a complete tit!