Engine conversion kits

GBMUD

I get the feeling that the 200Tdi in my 90 is fast approaching it's sell-by date - a new and alarming knocking noise when cold this morning. I could spend a load of money on getting it re-built or I could look at installing another engine - either a LR one or something "novel" - probably must be diesel though... ;).

The question is then, assuming I go the "novel" route, what to fit? I like, for various reasons, mostly power: Ford Duratorq. Mercedes Sprinter (5cyl?). Isuzu 2.8l. Something Iveco - like the Santanas have?

What else is there? What would fit? What can I get an adapter kit for and, what else could I fit - adapter kit permitting? I am not after super power, just more then the 200Tdi gives me but reliability and smallish external size would be good - I could cope with making new engine mounts, bodging the exhaust but not modifying the bulkhead for example. Actually, I may be answering my own question now - stick with Landrover! :)

Thanks

Chris

Thanks guys. I am now starting to wonder if the cost of a conversion kit as well as a reliable, known good engine might not be more than the cost of sorting the Tdi! Certainly more than the cost of a bodily knackered Disco 200Tdi which I could strip for the engine and sell the rest on eBay.

Anyone know if a Duratorq will fit on the DI engine ring? ;)

Cheers

Chris

i'd live with low PS/Nm and rework the 200 tdi if i were you, especially if your plannng on travelling around the more basic (LR orientated) it is surely the easier it will be to get parts when abroad.

Jap parts are much easier and cheaper in most EU countries. You would have to rely on UK posted stuff in places like Spain.

eg - say Chris threw in a Nissan SD33TD IL6, or an SD28TD, these engines were built under licence in Spain and thier military, police and civil authorities used/use vehicle with them in. Trying to find a 200Tdi in Spain is like finding a non rusty Disco in the UK

what sort of power do these produce?

I'd guess far more than a TDI

so a new gearbox/shafts will be next on the requirements list.

a rebuild of what you have is they way I'd go personally.

The izuzu 2.8 looks like a good alternative small and cheap if you want a change.

Finding a good jap diesel is easy. Most of them are it is the bodies on Jap trucks that lets them down.

A conversion kit will cost you roughly £300 and you can easily pick up a trooper with a good 2.8 for around £250.

Can you find a good 200tdi for £550?

Would £550 sort yours out?

How long will it last before you need to through more money at it.

Don't get me wrong I love the 200/300tdi engine but only because landrover made it and they never.

SG

Not a huge amount more. About the same as a tweaked 200Tdi. The IL6's tend to rev better being an IL6. Weight is about the same.

The only drawback with the 2.8/3.1 Isuzu lumps is the cost of parts when the do go wrong. Possible the most expensive of all the conversions for bits

Also consider what gearbox teh conversion uses. Don't the Isuzu conversions use a V8 box? Dunno about the others, but it's a consideration. Which way you want to go may well depend on the condition of your existing box. I have found that generally V8 LT77's are often in better condition than similar milage TDi LT77's.

Also consider what gearbox teh conversion uses. Don't the Isuzu conversions use a V8 box? Dunno about the others, but it's a consideration. Which way you want to go may well depend on the condition of your existing box. I have found that generally V8 LT77's are often in better condition than similar milage TDi LT77's.

Although v8 conversions are probably the most common these days. you can get a conversion for TDi's and series gearboxes.

Ford DI is a fantastic engine in a transit but absolutely carp in a Land Rover if you ever want to drive the car over 60mph..

The VW LT35 engine would be the one that would interest me.

40mpg loads of power and pulls like a train all from a diesel van :o

i think i'd look for a rotten 200Tdi disco (not difficult) you should pick one up for £500-£700... and have the engine out of that, you could butcher your own engine to turn the disco one into a defender one, (inlet manifold, timing cover, etc) making the conversion into a straight engine swap...

you'd probably still get a fair chunk of your money back by breaking whats left of the disco... as you'll have gearbox, axles, transfer box, all body panels and interior to sell....

and you'd end up with loads of spare parts (the good bits from your current Tdi like the turbo and injector pump) to keep in stock should you ever need them...

if your 90 doesnt have a disc braked rear axle you could have that aswell....

it sounds like a lot of work, but if you've got the space.. its probably a cheap way of ending up with a sound engine and a load of usefull spares...

didn't know that Tonk..... are 300 Tdi turbos the same in disco's and defenders... i hope so as ive got a spare defender one sitting on the shelf, that i'd hoped would fit the disco if the need ever arose....

take a few oil feed return gaskets

they are sods to fit and easily damaged.

I found it easier to fit the oil drain to the turbo then to the engine block rather than the other way round

ps don't use instant gasket unless you want to purchase a new turbo soon afterwards(mentioning no names):)

i think i'd look for a rotten 200Tdi disco (not difficult) you should pick one up for £500-£700... and have the engine out of that, you could butcher your own engine to turn the disco one into a defender one, (inlet manifold, timing cover, etc) making the conversion into a straight engine swap...

you'd probably still get a fair chunk of your money back by breaking whats left of the disco... as you'll have gearbox, axles, transfer box, all body panels and interior to sell....

and you'd end up with loads of spare parts (the good bits from your current Tdi like the turbo and injector pump) to keep in stock should you ever need them...

if your 90 doesnt have a disc braked rear axle you could have that aswell....

it sounds like a lot of work, but if you've got the space.. its probably a cheap way of ending up with a sound engine and a load of usefull spares...

When the time comes that is what I will do I think and for exactly those reasons. Thanks.

Matt, do you have a lot of space under your signature for a special reason? It is a right PITA!

Chris