interior side pannls

i'm looking for interior side panels for my 1986 defender 90, i just want to cover the metal and install some speakers.

any ideas where i can find them, only found one site selling them and there well over priced. if all else fails i'll have to make some!!!

I made a couple for my land rover 90 i'll have a look for some pictures, takes just a couple of hours to make from start t finnish once you have all the bits and bobs.

Found some pics :) little blury but you get the idea and i think it looks good also didthe rear door and floor andwheel arches. If this is what your lookign for reply back ad i'll give you the list of thing i used and how i did it. Also after the pics were taken i covered the screw heads wit a black cap and that just finnishes off the sides.

post-3254-082075000 1285315804_thumb.jpgpost-3254-039492100 1285315824_thumb.jpgpost-3254-006795700 1285315841_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I did the same as Keith Keir - ply covered in carpet, Behind that I fitted 25mm kingspan and glued it to the sided just to keep the noise down and cold out.

Did not take long and I think it looks quite good.

Frax

:rolleyes:

I made a couple for my land rover 90 i'll have a look for some pictures, takes just a couple of hours to make from start t finnish once you have all the bits and bobs.

Found some pics :) little blury but you get the idea and i think it looks good also didthe rear door and floor andwheel arches. If this is what your lookign for reply back ad i'll give you the list of thing i used and how i did it. Also after the pics were taken i covered the screw heads wit a black cap and that just finnishes off the sides.

post-3254-082075000 1285315804_thumb.jpgpost-3254-039492100 1285315824_thumb.jpgpost-3254-006795700 1285315841_thumb.jpg

Hi, just curious about what material you used for your interior re trim. I have a military 90 so its sort of lacking any for of interior at all... I am tempted to coat the insides in sound deadening material (brown bread or similar) then ruberize it (maybe carpet the back etc) to provide a little more warmth and noise reduction.

No, haven't come across that stuff before. Thanks for the link!

Not sure what type of material it actually is though...? rigid, soft, foam, rubbery? Might order a sheet and see what turns up. 10mm is pretty chunky, might be of use on the doors before putting chequer plate over the top or something.

My 90 has some panels from here: http://www.tge-defendertrims.co.uk/index.htm

I'd imagine it'd be really easy to make some yourself. They're just 9mm plywood covered in speaker carpet.

There's loads of speaker carpet on ebay and spray glue.

Ive also stuck 40mm kingspan sheets behind them for extra acoustic and thermal protection.

Keith Keir's ones look grand, I think something similar is on the cards for my 90. The bare aluminium box behind me does nothing for heat or sound insulation!

At least with some soft-ish surfaces the sound reverb (tin can effect) will be reduced, and provides a neat way to insulate the side panels.

I've been meaning to make some of my own for a while now. That MUD one for the rear door does look smart though.

I was thinking some nice Land Rover seat style material over some foam and with wood or plastic edge. I want to make it so its easy to remove for when I am off-road.

Mine has a county roof so i have windows in the back. also has the county trim attached to the top bit and roof. But front is standard military so nothing but bare metal.

Planning simple matting/carpet in the back to cover the arches and load space. As mentioned, might just slap some ply down then glue some carpet to it. Or perhaps try some of that EVA matting linked above to reduce vibration noise etc. Probably get a sheet of rubber for the main load area. The spare wheel is sitting in the back at the moment. Took it off the front (couldnt see a thing!) and i dont have a wheel carrier yet.