EP9

cols110

G`day all, whats to go with the EP9s, I want to throw a winch on our 110 later in the year, and was considering a 9.5xp. I want something small and light, so I can shove it in the front, so things like an 8274 and the warns with the solinoids on top are out.

I would also like to run plasma, and don`t want to blow the budget, so all in all the EP9 seems like a good winch that would fit the bill.

What are the EP9s like compared to a 9.5xp, I would consider a Husky, but don`t want the weight.

Thanks all

The only thing I will say about the EP9 (never having seen one) is that I enquired about one at work, on behalf of a customer. I said to [a certain UK supplier] that I had heard (somebody said it on here I think??) that the gearbox was hard/impossible to waterproof and the guy would be likely to be going through a bit of water and so would need to know if this was going to be a problem, and [a certain UK supplier] said "ah ... erm ... how about an X9 then".

So if that point is critical (and I don't know how waterproof they aren't) then it is probably best suited to a rear winch if you are planning on taking a dip often. Other than that I know nothing about it.

I hate to admit it (being a hydraulics fan) but if I bought another winch I think I would get a 9.5XP. I don't lower out at all so the fact that it has an in-drum brake doesn't bother me (would be using plasma). I love the hydraulic setups of Nige and BBC Ian but I can't be bothered with that much work and they take up space inside the vehicle which I can't afford to lose because it gets used for other things too.

Anyone actually got one of these/had it working for a while?

the spec looks good

I used to have one on the back of the g wagon, it never let me down.

The freespool on it is one of the best i've come across.

On the negative side though it was slow and had to be double lined a few times where 8274's didn't.

Also it seemed to draw a lot more from the batteries than the front 8274

we were running twin 100A alternators and twin yellow tops, and by the time you'd done a full drum under heavy load the winch would begin to slow down and the alternators used to drag the engine down by 50 or so rpm, where as we could do 3 or more full pulls on the front without anything changing.

Even though i'd still recommend getting one, they are a lot of winch for the money.

Got one on the back of the hibrid, only used it at one challenge so far,

worked ok so far, will give it another go this weekend in wales, round 4 AWDC,

I've replaced the X9 with it, as the brake kept wearing out, not a nice feeling when its steep :(

The EP9 will now be replaced with a 8274 (sitting in garage :lol: ) when i do the tray back,

The X9 was a lot faster, but the EP9 is still new so a bit tight at the noment,

Will let you Know how it get on this sunday, this site is steep :(

Only got back from Eastnor at 05.00 this morning - been gone since 05.00 last Thursday.

I have been running am EP9 for about a year - started as a mag test, now it's a long term test for DBOR.

It's great.

Plus points:

Only pulls 350 amps when tied to the test rig - 9000lbs/fifth layer

Pulls 9000lbs on first layer at a snadge over 7 feet per minute

Pulls well over 9000lbs!

Light (less than 25kgs with Plasma)

Reasonable no load spool in - 45-50ft per min

Fantastic external break

Nice and low so easy to fit (but longer AND centrally mounted!)

Good VFM

Parts are very cheap

Cons:

Tie bars rust like a 70's fiat (but only 7quid to change)

Slightly too high geared to benefit from a hi speed motor

small drum size when working with steel

BTW you missed a show price of £380 (inc) for the EP9 and £154 for the 10mm plasma

Have been using a variation of the ep/come-up for about 18 months

The brake and the gearbox are standard....... :P

And so far no problems, aprt from a sticky free wheel which was caused by exceesive mud buiold up between the case and the drum........Not really the winches fault :ph34r:

I rate both the EP and the come up as great budget winches :P

Plus i prefer the external cone brake to the internal brake of the Xp.....not a problem though if your using wire.

Hope this helps

Jim :)

Ps: yes you can waterproof the EP/come-up...........but it aint exactly a DIY job :ph34r: