200Tdi Radiator

Ibex94

Hi Guys,

Long time no speak - time to continue build.

I'm just about ready to put the radiator module in but on inspection the cooling fins look a bit tired where they still remain.:(

So in order to stop the inevitable failure or overheat during first serious use thought it prudent to replace.

My radiator is an original metal component which I could get recored however I now see on the Fleebay that their are patern radiators available with Aluminium cores and plastic header quoting better heat transfer rates. I assume this is achieved by closer packing of the tubes thereby narrowing the airways.

So does anyone have any experience of these patern radiators, are they any good (reliable) are they more prone to getting blocked with mud and silt when driving through "puddles";)

Many thanks

Rob

Got mine recored and quite happy with the result. I went for more spaced fins to make cleaning easier, and blockage less likely, not sure more closely packed fins would work for long and heat dissipation isn't such a big issue on the 200 anyway.

I'm also interested in wether these Aluminium cored and plastic header Rad's do actually cool much better, I know the likes of the TD5 and other's also use them, I have cleared my rad and cooling system out internally with rad flush which made a difference and I've also cleared the fin's on the outside with a hose, the rad itself is getting a little worse for wear now as it's a few years old and probably could do with being replaced, I've also noticed that the fins at the base of it are becoming brittle and also rusting away, I saw the rad's on e-bay too and seeing as I will have to replace it before long I'd like to know if what I'm intending to buy is as good as they say they are

My apologies for possibly hijacking the post but If you don't ask you don't get so to speak

TIA

John

I've just bought this Bearmach core.. as listed at mailorder4x4 so far it has been good (only 500 miles up to now). Did not fancy to get an aluminium cored one (because cooling capacity is excellent already) but I did invest into a standard size performance Brunel Intercooler for 200Tdi. My last 200Tdi radiator has been recored by a local workshop, lasted for 8 years but now all copper can be wiped out. But no leaks... The replacement unit bought just now is about half the price of recoring the old one once more (this side in Holland)

Cheers

Marco

Yes thanks John,

Surely someones tried them.

I also saw the Rads on mailorder 4x4 and rang about them - when he said they were Bearmach I turned straight off as there seems to be history with their parts on here. Theres a rad recon company in Avonmouth and I think they keep recon units on the shelf for the ~£100 touch so very similar. But as John said knowing how the later vehicles go to aly cores I wondered whether they last or block up from driving through the normal carp Landy do.

Rob

Rob, Still no answer I see about them-bugger! I know my post here will bump the topic back up to the top of the list of threads again, so hopefully someone will come along and give us any info they have on the rad's-if not I'm not sure what to do about buying one- I would like to hear what people say before I think about paying for one, I really like the look of the aluminium cored ones and as for the new vehicles like the TD5 etc I'm not sure how they fare with off-roading type use "But" any info would be good!, yes the older rad's do-do a good job, but if I can get a rad to be a more efficient cooling rad so to speak than what's on there now without spending mega money on one from the like's of allisport and do a similar job with reduction on the heat side of things, then I'd like to be able to make an informed decision to perhaps part with over £100.00 for the pleasure of getting a new rad that does the job better than the original one

John

I know its more expensive but me and my dad got our radiators recored by Kempston Radiators near bedford with an "off road" core. Its a lot stronger has bigger gaps and is pressure washable ( Supposedly without falling to peices) but we havent got them properly caked in mud yet. After a long drive my raiator is completely cold at the bottom and hot at the top.

They are just a little under £200 quid though.

What about a Td5 radiator and intercooler setup, is that a worthwhile upgrade for a Tdi? I know the Td5 rad is a much better design of core, more modern, but isn't the intercooler larger too?

Don't know about problems with fitting with regard to mounts and pipe locations etc, but might be worth a shot if you wanted an off-the-shelf solution.

Hi John,

Thanks for post however, the Ibex has a good deal more space accross the front not being limited by the wings inner face. Also with the rad sitting only just infront of the steering box you have to fit it with the rad outlet to the offside of it. It means everything around the steering box is bloody tight but it works - the big upside is that there is a load more space to the nearside so I've extended the rad frame to take a larger intercooler. I've got a bit more than 50% wider and about 25% deeper so I should be around twice the cooling performance:rolleyes: . Allards made it up for me and made quite a nice job of the cooler. Reason for this route is there is no space infront of the rad for a cooler there and you can't mount the rad further back 'cause of steering box and engine. Seems to work let you know what its like when running.