Rag top leaking, whats the solution?

Outrage

Hey all,

My Exmoor trim ragtop on my Lightweight appears to be leaking on the joint that goes over the hoop nearest the windscreen. Ive had it for several years although this is the first year its been fitted and subject to the elements. Does it need any form of water proofing on it to weatherproof it? Also I find that I get quite a torrent in the rear which appears to come through the buckle straps which soak up the wet from the outside and allow it to pass into the load area, Is this normal and is there any solution?

I know its unnusual to find a totaly watertight Landrover but not having my head dripped on while I drive would be a bonus!

Cheers,

Lee

There's a product called Fabsil which is used on tents, used to sell it in an outdoor shop. good stuff but don't know if it'd be recommended for a rag top.

might be worth asking Exmoor trim to see what they recommend ;)

My wife owns an Upholstery shop, and rubs in bees wax where stitching areas could leak.

Apparently petroleum based sealants damage the canvas and stitching over time.

At least bees wax is not toxic like the silicon and petroleum sealer's. :(

Phil...

Fit a hard top - then it will only drip on your right knee.... a vast improvement over your head! :P

Mines a hard top and its currently dripping everywhere! Its amazing how much something that is supposedly sealed leaks! The sunroof is driving me mad - i've taped it up and sealed it from the outside, but its still leaking!!

For the soft top, if it is slightly flexible, the beeswax sounds a good idea - i think i've heard of folk using wax on the joints on hard top roofs as well. What about the stuff you can soak wax jackets in to make them waterproof again? (I remember my mum doing it with hers years ago).

I like the wax idea and will might try that. For the bulk of the canvas I've found just splashing or spraying a gallon of Thompson's waterseal over the hood seems to work very well.

Not sure you you will ever stop the dripping from the straps though unless very well proofed to stop the wicking.

I like the wax idea and will might try that. For the bulk of the canvas I've found just splashing or spraying a gallon of Thompson's waterseal over the hood seems to work very well.

Not sure you you will ever stop the dripping from the straps though unless very well proofed to stop the wicking.

No. Don't do that. This will work nicely on new materials and is applied to the thread itself. It also (mainly) helps in sewing by making the thread slippery. Bees wax will look like carp if it's not done right.

Get yourself some of this type of stuff Waterproofing agent. It's like PVA glue when you apply it and when it dries it turns pretty much invisible. It is water soluble until dry so washing up is easy and it is not petroleum based. On seams put on two heavy coats, both sides of the seam. No more leaks, seriously. Apply it with a paint brush and work it into the fibres for a really good seal.

It is made locally here, but I am certain there will be an equivalent where you are.

The stuff is designed for horse blankets so its friendly. I use two litres on a 3/4 109 tilt with 2 coats each side.