Driving Licence

leeds

When is a photo driving licence not a driving licence?

Yesterday trotted down to crown post office with passport/photo driving licence/passport photos etc to apply for an international driving licence.

Waited tfor 20 mintutes Filled out form and was then asked for the paper driving licence. Was told photo driving licence not a driving licence!!!

So whats the point of us carrying these things if British officaldom dont recogonise them as valid driving licences??

OK its easier to endorse a paper licence with points but surely thats what computers etc are for.

I bet if you get pulled by the cops, produce a photo licence they will know within seconds if it is valid and how many points are on your licence, what you had for breakfast etc!!

Regards

Leeds

PS Rant over

Waited tfor 20 mintutes Filled out form and was then asked for the paper driving licence. Was told photo driving licence not a driving licence!!!

It's good enough for most car hire places, but you need the counterpart as well for any official purposes so they can see how often your driving has been officially endorsed.

"Gee, you sure are a good driver, dude! You been endorsed three times!"

It's good enough for most car hire places, but you need the counterpart as well for any official purposes so they can see how often your driving has been officially endorsed.

In case anyone is off on holiday, note it is NOT ok for renting cars abroad (in Europe at least) - you also need the paper bit - so don't get stuck without it!

The whole thing seems pointless to me...?

Al.

If you've got an old one it's no problem, but you'll probably need something else with your photo on to prove who you are when you need to.

This caught a mate of mine out, he got stopped randomly and got a producer, left it to the last minute to go to the station with his card and documents only to be told he needed the other bit and had 10 minutes to go get it or he'd be arrested for failure to produce :blink: luckily his mum was more organsed than he was and managed to find it while we were driving home again :lol:

Have my Photo Driving Licence in front of me.

Top left hand corner it says

DRIVING LICENCE

Then underneath that it has that horrid blue rectangle with yellow stars on with UK in centre.

No where on it does it say I need a bit of paper with it!!

So what is the point of these new licences if they are not licences

Why have bar code on the back with all groups I am entitled to drive?

Regards

Leeds

PS Now where is that bit of green paper????

The format for the current Driving License is exactly the same as Firearms Cirtificates.

If it can't be computerised then why bother with a small card and then add an A4 essay!

Typical UK government do half a job and claim it’s a good un. <_<

Having just collected a producer following the death of my beasty, I can tell you that its only for MOT and insurance since the police that I dealt with were happy to accept the photocard only as being my driving licence.

Glue

Paper part just shows the endorsements

You can hire a car without it

just get them to ring DVLA centre with details and jobs a good'un

I managed to get courtesy car from a dealer withOUT both parts they just rang up DVLA and after I confirmed who I was the got the details they required

Editted to correct mistake

Come on! are you lot really that slow?

Photo license is just a ways and means of bringing in identity cards in through the back door!!!

Not a problem for me carrying a identity card, I had to carry one at all times during my 18 year RAF service & now still carry my work ID card since I left the RAF 11 years ago plus I have a photo driving licence, I don't know why everyone is so scared of id cards