towing vehicle

hi been waiting now for a friend of a freind of a friend, to pick up wife's range rover p38,so now looks like i'm towing it myself, it's all on road but about five mile,no trailer, in which gear would be best, low diff, high diff, i know the p38 is heavy to push, i will be towing it in my d90 1987 200tdi,cheer's defender dinky

Use high range, you will be fine, no need to lock the diffs.

Just use the gears as you would normally do, it will just take a bit longer in each gear, you will probably not want to get fast enough to get out of third though as your on a rope. Have the engine running on the rangie if you can (out of gear) so that you get the power steering and brake servo.

Chris

If you find that you are having to slip the clutch when starting off in high (on a slope for instance) then start off in Low and change to High on the move, easy enough to do.

By low diff & high diff I assume you mean Low Range with diff locked or High Range with diff locked? No need to lock the centre diff if you are on a sealed surface with good traction.

keep the speed to no more than 30/35mph at least the RR can have it's engine running to provide servo vacuum for the brakes & PAS, a solid towbar is preferable to a rope as there's less chance of the towed vehicle running into the back of your 90,a rope or strap is OK for short journeys.

i will be using a solid bar for towing, and thanks again for all your replies, dd

ensure the towed vehicle driver does NOT use the hazaed lights while being towed they should duplicate all your brake lights & indicator lights so following traffic know your [towing vehicle] intentions, it's worth making a temporary 'on tow' sign for the towed vehicles rear window again for the benifit of following drivers.

Five miles?

Put the P38 in second gear, get going, then change into third when relevant speed is reached. Changing gear without the clutch can be done, it's not particularly easy but definitely doable. I've done it in the past in my 90 when the clutch went (couple of miles to my workshop), just take it slow and pull over every now and then to let traffic past. If the journey involved major roads I wouldn't advise it, but local roads should be okay :)