Supercharger on a Rover V8

jagwit

Supercharging (using a Lysholm blower) a Rover V8 is on my bucket list.... and time is running out....

Its all about that immediate punch right from idle, so dont even talk to me about turbo(s).

Hoping someone has done it and can share with me an elegant method of physically mounting a unit to the engine.

Which engine layout lends itself best to supercharging (from a physical layout point of view)? The engines as found in Discovery 1 or those in Discovery 2 (Thor)?

If I could have things my way I would use the concept of charge cooling rather than intercooling.

I have a VNT on my TD5 truck - 100kw / 380 Nm at the wheels. :ph34r:

I understand that one can not fit a VNT turbo to a petrol engine in the normal place on account of the EGTs being much higher than what a VNT can handle? Mechanical Engineer friend investigated mounting VNTs remotely (at the back of the car). And this has been done before...

The main problem with VNT on a petrol engine is the reduction in reliability of the variable geometry mechanism in the increased exhaust gas temperatures of petrol engines.

VNTs on petrols were pioneered by Renault on their F1 cars and Group B rally cars, and later found a home in the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution range. The Mitsubishi VAT turbo uses a different mechanism to the Garrett VNT turbos better suited to petrol applications (I think it's a twin scroll turbo with twin flaps to open the second scroll thus increasing the area).

That said there is nothing better than a Lysholm blower on a road car. They are the most efficient type of supercharging, meaning that they can higher boost and less charge cooling than other types, plus create linear boost and power increases from tick over. So I would say find a Sprintex, Whipple etc. Lysholm blower and get working.

Incidentally there was a Sprintex supercharged Ibex in last months LRO. It was intercooled too, but at low boost you don't need intercooling on a Lysholm.

Incidentally there was a Sprintex supercharged Ibex in last months LRO. It was intercooled too, but at low boost you don't need intercooling on a Lysholm.

It so happens that I have my eye on a Sprintex S5-335... Would be nice if I did not have to mess with cooling - so much simpler...

I love the internet - "I don't care about turbos" immediately leads to a load of posts about turbos :rolleyes: fundamentally this project is a lot of internet arguments waiting to happen - so I say do go for it and ignore 'em :P

The V8's are broadly the same thing from the early 3.5 to the last 4.6, the differences are mostly detail changes and it's all detailed in numerous places - use the search function, I'm sure you'll turn up a load of arguments about which block is best :rolleyes: ultimately people will argue the toss over differences which have no practical/noticable effect on what is an antique engine to start with.

A 4.0/4.6 Thor lump is the same as the earlier 4.0/4.6 but with a different inlet manifold bolted on. Since you're probably going to have to unbolt it and throw it away, there's no difference. IMHO if you're doing the bucket list thing then you may as well make it a 4.6, which will upset all those who will confidently tell you they are rubbish and crack/slip liners etc. and the 3.5 is the only good block etc. etc. (but then they'll also tell you a turbo would be better, and it'll never be as good as a tuned 200TDi, etc.)

Since we're here, I'll stick my oar in and recommend looking at Megasquirt EFI for the fuel & sparks, check Nige's big Megasquirt thread in the tools'n'fab forum.

There was an article years ago in one of the mags about a guy who had a S3 2.25 petrol with a blower on. IIRC it was a Roots jobby, and came from a Mini garage, for about 300 quid. When they sell a new mini with a blower on, the garage offers to upgrade it at a "reasonable" price, then they sell the old one to someone of the oily-handed persuasion. It's good for nearly 3 litres, and quite compact, so I reckoned that one for each bank would be quite a low/tidy install if done right.

On the Turbo line of thinking (just for argument's sake) how's about the old bi-turbo thing with a big turbo (better at handling high EGTs) feeding cold air into a smaller VVT/VNT? Admittedly, four turbos is going to take up a fair bit of room in an already crowded bay...