Insurance Nightmare

Disty

I need some help figuring insurance out. This is my situation:

• My last Defender was stolen just over a year ago, not recovered, insurance paid out £2,800 (old TD)
  • I since bought a 300tdi hard top (bought Jan 2010, Insured from end Feb), which I had to insure through "gladiator commercial" as apparently you can only insure the hard top's as commercial due to them being van's? This cost me just over £1k
  • I've just spend the last 4 months of my life rebuilding this vehicle onto a galv chassis, with a +2 inch lift, done properly. Also has some 285 stt's to boot. Clearly gladiator isn't going to work out as they will probably refuse to insure with my modifications.
  • I'm told I can change to a CSW back- I have the benches already, but I've MOT'd it as 3 seats. What's the procedure for changing this?

I've just rang Adrian Flux who passed me through to some other (commercial?) dept. who quoted me £2,950 or some ridiculous figure. Clearly I can't pay this as I'm only 23.

Who else should I try, and what can I do to try and bring the quote down? I'm really Mildly miffed off that somebody else nicking my last land rover means I now can't get properly insured- hardly seems fair?

All insurance companies are sh 1 t if you ask me. NFU are hopeless in terms of customer service but they do accept that a Land Rover is just a Land Rover whatever configuration it may be in - they don't care whether it's hardtop truck cab or whatever.

Remember on your V5 it should say 4x4 light utility, this doesnt specify csw hard top or truck cab.

I have moved my 90" to Acadamy on Hybrid from Hell's recommendation, They weren't at all concerened with the 4.6 conversion or other mods, but quite frankly when it's up for renewal i'll be going back to the NFU as Acadamy are equally SH 1 t. They wouldnt ensure me without a huge fight to take my truck to Romania back in july, in short they annoyed me so i'll be leaving them.

Rant about insurance companies over :angry2::angry2::angry2:

Any word on whether NFU will insure me as a 23 year old?

Are there any other "young" LR owners with similar troubles?

I will check my V5, but I don't remember seeing anything on it marking it as "commercial only" because it doesn't have windows in it!?

I'm in a low-risk postcode yes, I imagine yours will be high risk if it's S10. That does play a large factor. I also have two policies with them (my 88" as well, just under £400pa), that may help too.

I have 4 years NCB, but I'm not actually using them on this policy as they were in use elsewhere at the time. Which reminds me, I need to phone Adrian Flux and let them know that the NCB is now 'free' as it were to be used with this policy, so I can get an extra year on renewal next June.

A previous claim will surely affect it, they'll use any excuse to charge you more.

Mine is just over £600 as I lost my ncb after sliding through a garden wall and gate post in my 90 during the last snow fall! Before that it was £400 with no no-claims bonus.

All mods listed too and its Adrian Flux, when making my claim the service was excellent and the staff were very helpful!!!

im insured with adrian flux and when i first took the policy my car was a standard special vehicle made by landrover. in other words it had a winch bumper and husky winch installed before it came out of the factory. i started paying 105 quid a month when i was 21 which was by far the cheapest but when i changed the truck to a truck cab from a hard back added an 8274 and roll cage it went up to 140 quid a month. i now want to buy a house and the cost of insurance is looking like it is going to force me to sell to pay a mortgage. i have six points for no insurance when my car was broke and i was going a mile down the road. so i think im safe to say no wonder so many youngsters are driving with no insurance.

On Frank Pickles, you have to tick "I am aged between 25 and 74" to even get a quote- not looking good.

Will try sure term direct next, then adrian flux again for the third time.

Thanks everbody. Maxlr90- gutted about your snow incident- What tyres were you running? Quite excited to get out into the snow this year. There's already quit a bit!