New Def on the way...

Looking for a new defender in the very near future. After a bout of defenders in all guises (90, 110, 127) and motorisations (V8, NA, TD, TDi, TD5) I am quite certain it will be a 110...

But which engine to choose? I will be doing mostly normal roads, little forest roads and green lanes, even less rough terrain. I had a 110 with a GKN overdrive and loved everything about it, but now with the newer TDci and 6 gears I do not know anymore. I can take the newest one for a spin and test drive, but that would give me a 'one hour' impression rather than a 'that's how I actually use it' impression.

Due to the unavailability of the GKN overdrive, I would probably look at fitting a Disco t-box to the TD5, but would it be necessary with the TDCi or even possible? I know I would need to remap the TDCi chip to get a bit better motorway performance.

What are your impressions on TD5 vs. TDCi?

I have a tdci 90, and it is far superior to the others that I have driven. The engine has loads of power and coupled with a six speed box it is very quiet (and the heater works).

On the downside it has a speed limiter which comes in about 81mph, so I have been told. But as I don't drive on motorways I have never been that fast with it. It does cruise quietly at 70 and to be honest would you want to go much faster in a "brick".

Fuel consumption is usually 30+ and generally round 32/33. The only time it has been below 30 was going to work, deep snow and drifts for 40 miles round trip over a few days.

Hope this has been some help. Regards, rocky.

I've got a Tdci 90, and it's a great vehicle, although being 6'4" there's significantly less room for the driver than my 300Tdi 90 or Td5 90. Worth checking you can get your knees under the steering wheel before you buy, or fitting a bulkhead removal bar to alow you to push the seat back a bit...

Regards

J

Looking for a new defender in the very near future. After a bout of defenders in all guises (90, 110, 127) and motorisations (V8, NA, TD, TDi, TD5) I am quite certain it will be a 110...

But which engine to choose? I will be doing mostly normal roads, little forest roads and green lanes, even less rough terrain. I had a 110 with a GKN overdrive and loved everything about it, but now with the newer TDci and 6 gears I do not know anymore. I can take the newest one for a spin and test drive, but that would give me a 'one hour' impression rather than a 'that's how I actually use it' impression.

Due to the unavailability of the GKN overdrive, I would probably look at fitting a Disco t-box to the TD5, but would it be necessary with the TDCi or even possible? I know I would need to remap the TDCi chip to get a bit better motorway performance.

What are your impressions on TD5 vs. TDCi?

IIRC the transfer box on the Puma models is already 1.2. If you after a new 'new' one check out this site. You'll need to select LandRovers but the Defender prices look very good.

Nigel

One advantage of the Td5 is that having been in production for 12 odd years, most things that can go wrong have done and solutions are known for them. The fuel pump issues, injector loom etc.

Personally I prefer the dash and looks of the Td5, and having driven them it's left me longing one! The TDCi Trans-fenders are probably very nice, but that dashboard is one step too far for me :P

• 1 year later...

As far as the extended test drives are concerned, the dealer does not mind, as long as I pay... Also called renting...

They don't generally do an extended test drive on very popular motors...

A friend of a friend, went into the Norwich dealer looking at a new Range Rover, his intention was to buy it with cash... He turned up in a beaten up bedford van (it was a while ago) and his builders clothes.

The salesman ignored him and laughed when he asked for a test drive.

You might want to wear a suit and flash some cash ;)

Looking for a new defender in the very near future. ....I will be doing mostly normal roads, little forest roads and green lanes, even less rough terrain. ......What are your impressions on TD5 vs. TDCi?

in danger of receiving wrath of the forum - but for that usage i wouldnt buy a defender in any shape or form.

toyota hilux invincible

nicer interior, more comfy front and back, better drive on the road, perfectly acceptable for greenlanes and muddy tracks etc, MUCH better build quality, better dealer support, more powerful engine, lower emissions and therefore lower road tax, better mpg and its cheaper!!!

sorry.

They don't generally do an extended test drive on very popular motors...

A friend of a friend, went into the Norwich dealer looking at a new Range Rover, his intention was to buy it with cash... He turned up in a beaten up bedford van (it was a while ago) and his builders clothes.

The salesman ignored him and laughed when he asked for a test drive.

You might want to wear a suit and flash some cash ;)

With that kind of reception, I think if I were in his position I'd have flashed the cash on my way out, just to let the salesman know what he'd just missed out on... before I went to the next nearest dealership.

Sometimes appearances can cloud your judgement....reminds me of the time I saw a McMerc SLR in the Warwick services ages back... the chap who got out was the scruffiest chap ever, more so that me :o

With that kind of reception, I think if I were in his position I'd have flashed the cash on my way out, just to let the salesman know what he'd just missed out on... before I went to the next nearest dealership.

Sometimes appearances can cloud your judgement....reminds me of the time I saw a McMerc SLR in the Warwick services ages back... the chap who got out was the scruffiest chap ever, more so that me :o

Actually he did have the last laugh... He happened to live just down the street, and every day drove newly acquired, top spec. Range Rover right past their front door.

Still it didn't last, he spilt paint on it... when he should have been driving the Bedford van! Doh!

in danger of receiving wrath of the forum - but for that usage i wouldn't buy a defender in any shape or form.

toyota hilux invincible

nicer interior, more comfy front and back, better drive on the road, perfectly acceptable for greenlanes and muddy tracks etc, MUCH better build quality, better dealer support, more powerful engine, lower emissions and therefore lower road tax, better mpg and its cheaper!!!

sorry.

If buying Defenders had anything to do with nicer interior, more comfy front and back, better drive on the road, perfectly acceptable for greenlanes and muddy tracks etc, MUCH better build quality, better dealer support, more powerful engine, lower emissions and therefore lower road tax, better mpg and its cheaper!!! we'd all be driving the blooming things. It's about passion, bolting things on, hitting things with hammers.

a Puma already has the 1.2T box.

Puma 1st is 24% lower than R380,

Puma 6th is 33% higher than 5th in an R380.

Puma 2.4 has the torque in std equal to what most remapped (none intercooler upgraded) td5s have ie 360Nm

i went from a stg 1 chipped td5 90 with GKN overdrive to a 110 2.4 USW.

110 is quieter, easier to use

Dash is far better for clarity of instruments

HEVAC is exceptional compared to any previous Defender. 9-11 deg hotter output at max and gets there an awful lot quicker.

economy is comparable between both

td5 did 105k miles, Pumas have done 40k ish, both avg 27mpg to date for mix of driving and a fair bit of heavy towing.

what would i buy

for an everyday car - Puma 2.4

for competing - td5 or TGV

for greenlaning - td5

for teaching - tdi - its the hardest to get on with!

Its a big thumbs up for the Puma, I too have had most of the 110 variants (and I still have a 1989 vintage 110 V8 for 'proper landrovering' - and a series and a series two so I can breakdown, get cold, wet, and cramped, - Land-Rovers are ICONIC – Toyotas are for ‘other people’)

I went from a lovely Td5 to my Puma and was knocked out by the increase in comfort, driveability, handling etc. (I had to keep asking people if i was imagining it) 3 yrs on I'm still thrilled, the heater heats, the air con cools. The speed limiter has become less and less effective, (occasionally it hesitates at about 85)and I regularly have it sitting at 90 MPH with no problem. I no longer need the GKN (I really thought they were fantastic when they worked!)

I hate that transit dash, but mud rails fix the legroom problem (in a 110 CSW but leave me very pi**ed off when back in the cramped by comparison V8 Truck cab)

I have a tdci 90, and it is far superior to the others that I have driven. The engine has loads of power and coupled with a six speed box it is very quiet (and the heater works).

On the downside it has a speed limiter which comes in about 81mph, so I have been told. But as I don't drive on motorways I have never been that fast with it. It does cruise quietly at 70 and to be honest would you want to go much faster in a "brick".

Fuel consumption is usually 30+ and generally round 32/33. The only time it has been below 30 was going to work, deep snow and drifts for 40 miles round trip over a few days.

Hope this has been some help. Regards, rocky.

What Rocky said.

Cheers

Blippie