New Fairy Capstan Winch - Range Rover Classic

axlechorus

Dear all.

I am trying to move this on for my grandad and am really unsure what the value is.

The item is a Fairey Capstan winch designed specifically for the original 3.5 V8 Range Rover. It was brought for my grandads 1974 2 door rangey with the idea of using it to get the boat out of the Solent. However neither the winch nor the sizeable length of rope ever made it onto the car and it has remained brand new in the box.

Now I know these things are fairly rare for the series but I have not come accross one for the Range Rover and am really wondering what to ask for it as I don't want him to be short changed or to be trying to flog it for what we feel its worth when its actually not worth it.

All help gratefully recieved.

Ryck

post-13446-079227400 1294602715_thumb.jpg

post-13446-052216600 1294602749_thumb.jpg

post-13446-086105200 1294602864_thumb.jpg

post-13446-043006400 1294602900_thumb.jpg

post-13446-027709200 1294603116_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure on value, but would be interested in purchasing it if it would fit my series? I have a 3.5 v8 fitted and not sure if the series winch would work, but I assume this one would as long as I can mount it.

Cheers

I would assume that it would given that its the same motor and fundamentally pretty simiar I would guess. However I am sure that one of the more experianced members with these things would be able to clarify.

Soren - Yes brand spanking new been in the loft for some years I can say.

That is a real collectors item, would be a shame to use on anything other than an RRC, I have no idea re the price, but think it would fetch quite a reasonal sum on Fleabay worldwide not just the UK, there might be som chaps in US who would break a leg to get their hands on such thing, amongst others.

Regards

Ole

Have a look on here they have re-coned Series III Capstan winches at £400.00 , so i would say youre Rangey one has got be worth over double that

http://web.ukonline....gordon13/x9.htm

Nb. Anyone looking for winch spares, secondhand winches electric/hydraulic, capstan winch spares etc ...have a look seems reasonably priced and lots of odd and sods, and he says he can make parts for obsolete winches!

This site is nothing to do with me or anyone i know, just came across it :D

Edited by fozsug

Have a look on here they have re-coned Series III Capstan winches at £400.00 , so i would say youre Rangey one has got be worth over double that

http://web.ukonline....gordon13/x9.htm

Nb. Anyone looking for winch spares, secondhand winches electric/hydraulic, capstan winch spares etc ...have a look seems reasonably priced and lots of odd and sods, and he says he can make parts for obsolete winches!

This site is nothing to do with me or anyone i know, just came across it :D

Very interesting, looks like someone has bought and is trading under pg winches name.

Somehow i don't think they'l be able to offer the same level of service as phil.

Very interesting, looks like someone has bought and is trading under pg winches name.

Somehow i don't think they'l be able to offer the same level of service as phil.

That's a OLD webpage this website no longer exist either http://www.winchrepairs.co.uk/

P G Winches no longer exist AFAIK. refer to the thread below.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=46750

What a touch!!

Very unusual to find something like this, it looks immaculate. All you need is a US owner of a fully restored Classic to get wind of this, and they'll be falling over themselves to buy it. I would personally Ebay it, get it listed for the longest possible period, and do the rounds of the US forums drumming up some business. For what it's worth, I would estimate this lot could go for somewhat north of £1K...

If you think that brand new Superwinch PTO drum winches now go for about £5-7k, this would be a bargain. It's brand new, never been fitted, never been used, and it's in its original packaging... what more could they want!!!

Cheers,

Effortless

Yeah it is certainly a rare find and I have not yet seen another new one let alone a range rover one in any condition. I think I will go onto a few American Forums to see if its of interest to them and then make a worldwide ebay listing once I have sorted out shipping. Any advice on which sites on the American side are likely to be most receptive?

All the best

Ryck

• 12 years later...

All the classic range rovers of the  dutch traffic Police were fitter with faire capstan winches,hidden behi d the grill, in the 90's theu were cheap to buy when the r.rovers were leasing the Police

I bought one for my series 3

Hanno kortmann- Holland