Mog/LR Hybrid axle

Soren Frimodt

Well we had been thinking along those lines at some point. But there would be a lot of unknowns to gamble with. For instance the swivel strength. But I have seen swivels reinforced with pieces of flat stock welded to the top and bottom, and I'm pretty convinced the bearings would be up for it. But you would have to flip both diffs. And this way you also gain the much cleverer CV of the mog that allows a great degree of steering.

But it could be done for sure, but I must admit that both of us are surprised at how easy this was to do! The only gambling is the halfshaft strength, but thats not really a safety issue, more a being cheap thing.

Haha, well they kinda are :D

Got it looking more symmetric today, front axle slammed under, now it's beginning to look proper!

post-9137-0-66853600-1298489764_thumb.jpg

Really the beauty of using the LR center section on the front means proper low stance and therefore low COG. We're really pleased with the end result. And now it's just a matter of hooking everything up.

Thanks guys, always appreciate nice words ;)

On the wheel department, we are quite undecided! As a matter of a fact this has been the biggest mystery of all the build! :D But we decided to build it and then try different wheels and tyres and see what looked best. But we kinda like it as it is, so it might be std. 20" x 9" Mog rims, possibly with beadlocks, and tyres like these (about 38"s)

Well we barely got the front axle on yesterday. So no brakes and no rear prop, means we haven't really driven it yet :)

But it will be geared low with the portals, but what we did do was mount the high ratio transfer off a 3 speed auto v8 rangie. This should make it bearable on the road, top speed won't be much over a hundred K's though, but really how often would you more than that in a 90 diesel with 38"'s? :)

Soren, I love the low stance you've got, it's far better than most behemoths you see on Mog axles. Relative to the axle tube, rather than the wheel centre, how much is that lower than standard ride height? I understand that the LR centre is allowing the axle to sit that low, but how much up travel do you have before the axle tube hits the chassis?

Can we see some photos of the front end?

Hehe well that nice workshop is where my brother works, sadly not our home garage! :)

Well we couldn't really find any lowering springs for it, so we just put the thin soft OEM ones from a RRC under it, so essentially it has the same uptravel as a bug standard RRC.

The low stance was the main goal and we are pleased with the result. Here's a for and 'aft picture seen from the front end.

on 35" M/T's and a 3" lift kit, and on the mog axles and wheels.

post-9137-0-54361500-1298574197_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-15148000-1298574207_thumb.jpg

Well yes a little. We have been away all weekend so not much have happened.

But he has mounted the rear shocks and began working on the brakelines. We should have that sorted and bled by the end of the week. We have a long distance to cover to get to a club meeting this weekend and are hoping to get it ready for the road by then so that it can have a good and thorough shakedown.

Here are a couple of front flex shots:

post-9137-0-08454500-1298995821_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-63621100-1298995842_thumb.jpg

Well it went for its first testdrive today!

First though we had to bleed the brakes and make a rear prop for it. And with those sorted we could take it for a spin.

How did it feel? Well actually you felt nothing out of the ordinary! Steering was sharp and precise, brakes were aggressive since they now have a lighter truck and a booster at the other end. But the most amazing really is the fact that you didn't feel anything weird. We drove around my brothers work on some gravel and even though I jumped in it, and simply hammered it straight into the first bend , I could precisely steer it around the corner with the wheels slipping and sliding as usual. So we are really chuffed.

There were two minor details though,

First being an annoying rumble from the drivetrain, it had this before the axle swap though because of a bad front prop, we have a new one that will get fitted tomorrow.

Second the brakes don't bite equally hard because they have been standing still for ages. So they need to be run in, but drums are drums, and you can't really expect them to behave straight out of the gate.

Here are a couple of tech pics, first showing how low it actually sits, and the second showing the rear shocks and their mounts.

post-9137-0-00497200-1299098101_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-94906700-1299098108_thumb.jpg

Soren this really is a thing of beauty!

However! can you please take off the tow bar? It doesn't look much higher than the bottom of the diff....

What are you actually planning on using the land rover for?

and if you ever want to sell them just pm me.....

Haha, well up until we started the axle swap it was his daily driver, and having a couple of trailers on the premises, how could he live without a towbar? He usually just take it off for the weekend when we're out getting it dirty.

His plans for the 90"? Well the same as he has used it for the last 11 years I suppose, kicking everybody's a§§ at offroad events! We're really not that much into competing in challenge and the likes, because compared to the cost you get very little time behind the wheel. And what makes a better driver? behind-the-wheel-time. Nothing beats it, you can gradually increase the level of difficulty, and only really your imagination (and guts) limits what you can try. When there's not a certain track laid out in front of you.

So for us getting out there and trying new stuff and new tracks is the main thing. The more hours we sit behind the wheel, the happier we are. Now having my little 80" for all the narrow tracks around tree's and through narrow gullies is perfect. And now we have this monster for the deep ruts, and generally deep stuff, where its not so much technical as it is about the performance of the car.