Pyrenees Touring?

smokinv8

Mandy and Mike who run Alpine Rovers are one of the LR Scene's nice guys.

We went to the Alps with them a few years ago. Because our group had someone who was a little inexperianced, they toned down the tour for them, and offered everyone else the oportunity to do the more challenging stuff the day after the tour had offically finished.

Being in no rush to go home we wnet along, and at the end of the day had a turbo failure. Mandy and Mike stayed with us until the tow truck arrived, followed us to the garage and even offered to help us fit a new turbo if they had one. The garage didn't have the stock, so the took a few of the more expensive bits from our truck home for us (Oz Tent etc) and made sure we got to the hotel provided by our recovery company.

Truely excellent customer service.

If you want to chat to them directly, Mandy use's the username Hillbilly Raider on the forums, she is most active on www.Landroveraddicts.com

Enjoy your trip!

There is plenty of info on the internet and roadbooks available to be able to do this on your own.

We went (2 families 4A 5C) in 2009. It was fantastic. Infact it was even better than expected as

we had done a huge amount of research/ planning, using the internet, roadbooks, maps, googlearth,

etc.

Much better than paying someone £x00´s to travel in a convoy.

• 3 weeks later...

There is plenty of info on the internet and roadbooks available to be able to do this on your own.

We went (2 families 4A 5C) in 2009. It was fantastic. Infact it was even better than expected as

we had done a huge amount of research/ planning, using the internet, roadbooks, maps, googlearth,

etc.

Much better than paying someone £x00´s to travel in a convoy.

Can't agree enough. With internet access as good as it is today in Europe and the advancements of cell phone technology, you'll never be lost or without help. We were in Norway last summer with our road maps, GPS, repair manuals uploaded to the cell phone and went, did as we wanted at our pace it was a great trip. :D Remember more and more camp sites today offer WiFi.

The money that you save from follow the leader trips can be used on yourself and your family making everlasting memories.

im a total amateur and i went to sweden totally prepared by using the books and the forum

and by making contact with the local landrover club in germany to get all the info i needed and more.

it saved me 600 quid which meant i could go even deeper into danger!! great. <_<

There are plenty of roadbooks here. It's in french but you can use babelfish to make it appear to be in english :)

Mo

Incredible!

I've been really wanting to head into Europe with the 90 and had no idea there were resources like this!

If anyone is aware of any more, say for the Alps or anywhere in France that might serve as a good first trip I'd be hugely grateful if you'd share them.

:D

To quote my teenage niece - ' Well Good!'

The ferries across to spain are now VERY exspensive.

P&O have stopped doing the Portsmouth/Santander, and that route has now been taken on by Brittany ferries, they also run the Plymouth/Bilbao ferry so they have a bit of a monopoly on the service, and so the prices have risen quite a lot.

Can recomend Paul at "One Life Adventure" for a guided tour http://www.onelifeadventure.co.uk/

Andy

We used the tunnel and drove down. Took a day to get to the Toulouse area,

then another short day to get to Andorra. From there we drove a mixture of

tracks and road up to Soulac-sur-mer and stayed there for a few days.

Left Ssm in the morning and were back in hte UK at 7pm the same day.

What's the best way to get down to the Pyrenees ?

I notice you can get a 24hr ferry from Portsmouth to Santander. I'm wondering if thats an easier journey than taking the tunnel and driving down through France.

The couple of times I have done it we drove down, got the boat across to Calais and then drove down camped outside of Bordeaux plenty of small camp sites just off the autoroutes basic but cheap and good for an evening camping, clean shower/food/beer. then drove down the the kick off point of the routes the next day. Have done this a couple of times and have not found it to be too much of a stretch and not a difficult start to a week away.

Jason.

• 3 weeks later...

The road at 4:17 is interesting! :huh:

Ha ha, we went there on the grand Pyrenees tour of 2007. Hopefully doing it again in May. :) I was somewhat scared as there is nothing to prevent you from falling off - I just closed my eyes and it was soon over. :)

Chris