1:006 t-box. in defender????

hello.

i have been having a think.

has anyone had any expearence with a 1:006 transfer box on a defender..?

it probably a silly idea of mine.. but my transfer box is buggering it self again.. so im keeping a eye for some higher geared..

cheers

sam

it would all depend on what engine you have. i had one in a tuned 300tdi and it was just too high for cross country driving but motorway it was ok.

I plan on trying it one ina 90 truck cab with a v8 to see what its like.

H

An autobox + 33" tyres and you will more than likely need a 1.4 box back in there in all honesty.... I have this setup and can happily cruise at 90 when off the queens highway.

The issue with an auto is that it is far more picky about driveline ratio changes than a manual, as it alters the change points and torque the box sees etc, so I would be looking to get it as close to stock as possible, which is likely to be a 1.4 box.

you may have too tall a gearing for your planned auto box conversion in the summer with a 1.006. it would certainly need more thinking that a std cooler. what size tyres are you running 33"s?

i have scraped the auto converion. i wanted to do it last summer. but it just not worth for that truck..

if i had a m-reg or somthing then i would do it..

i used to have 235/85/16 gerneral grabber a/t2, but i now have 205/80/16 mitcherlins.. the ones that come on defenders standard.

right.. lets get this right!. up till this week i haddent been on here for over 6 months lol.

the auto box idea went out the window i was working last summer and wasnt earning enough... it not worth it lol... and i now have 205/80/16 on my defender as i wore the 235/85/16s to basicly slicks.

i thinkg the gearing i have now is perfect.. but sitting at 60 when the engines 3500rpm for 4 hours nearly to gloustershire. when it used to sit at 65mph with the old grabbers at 3000rpm.

i wil probably not bother with it.. as for 1, 1:006 box is like rocking horse pooh.

2, it will struggle like hell with a trailer even empty.

3, back roads it will be usless on hill and single track lanes.

4, the gearing was so high with my old 235/85/16s it was blowing wheels bearing and u.js left right and centre

and 5, the tyres i have now are spot-on..

cheers

sam

4, the gearing was so high with my old 235/85/16s it was blowing wheels bearing and u.js left right and centre

Huh? 235/85 are a factory option, there's no way you should be blowing wheel bearing or prop UJs left, let alone right or centre....

i had no proplems what so ever with 235/85 on 1:4 box. soon as i fitted that 1:2 box. is when i had all the bearing troubles and uj. the uj problem was nothing to do with the ujs.. as i never changed them, i just fintted new props.

i grease them on every service 3000miles when the truck gets it general service!!