Tyre Speed Question

Hi all,

Could anybody tell me what the speed rating is for Insa Turbo Sahara tyres please?

I'm doing quite a lot of motorway driving at the moment and wondered if my tyres are safe at 70 MPH + :ph34r:

I've tried Google but can't find the answer.

While we are at it I also have a set of Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, what are they rated at?

Cheers guys,

Mick.

Thanks for the quick reply gents,

I can't find a letter that denotes speed rating but the tyres are 235/85 R 16, Bowie's link gives a rating of 120/116 N

Haven't a clue what that means (shouldn't imagine it means 120 MPH!) :lol:

Just for reference, i think i'm right in saying that its actually illegal to have tyres that aren't rated for the max speed of the vehicle...????

Or is it that the ins co might not pay out ... can't remember..... pretty sure i told my ins co what tyres i'm running anyways, so should be covered..!

Just for reference, i think i'm right in saying that its actually illegal to have tyres that aren't rated for the max speed of the vehicle...????

Or is it that the ins co might not pay out ... can't remember..... pretty sure i told my ins co what tyres i'm running anyways, so should be covered..!

Correct, tyres should be able to cope easily with the parent vehicles maximum speed.

^^

More accurately

The tyres fitted must be capable of having a speed rating no less than the top speed of the vehicle stated by the manufactuer at Build.

So, every 90 on the road with Simex is technically illegal as they (Simex) have an L / 62 MPH Speed rating :huh:

You'll find the speed ratings can be odd - JT2s are 100 MPH Extremes 62 and then as above even the same tyre in different sizes can vary :blink:

Can of worms ...........

Nige

So, every 90 on the road with Simex is technically illegal as they (Simex) have an L / 62 MPH Speed rating :huh:

Out of interest should they bother to look at this at MOT time? As an aside when I get into the Defender speed limits start to feel like an ambitious targets anyway!

Out of interest should they bother to look at this at MOT time? As an aside when I get into the Defender speed limits started to feel like an ambitious targets anyway!

If I've had my brave pills mine will do 85 mph (confirmed by GPS) on the flat hence the question.

From the MOT Inspection manual:

Note: A Class 3 or 4 vehicle tyre

which appears to be of inadequate

size, ply or speed rating for the

vehicle or its use is not a reason

for rejection. However, the vehicle

presenter should be informed.

In other words, it is very unlikely that the presenter (you ) would be informed as the tester is unlikely to notice.

Doesn't mean it complies to Construction and Use Regulations though ;)

There is no legal requirement to have tyres that are speed rated for the maximum speed of the vehicle. They do need to have a suitable load rating.

In both cases the law in the UK requires that they be suitable for their actual use NOT suitable for some mythical use that would be illegal anyway. Obviously if you were caught speeding on tyres rated below that speed you can be prosecuted.

Many years ago there was a requirement that tyre speeds be suitable for the top speed of the car but the law was changed after a prosecution was successfully challenged. ISTR it was in the late 70s early 80s that the law was changed.

Thinking about it, the above must be true, for example winter tyres (yes that old chestnut!) rarely have a speed rating of over 135mph (I think that's what it is), but you can legally fit them to big BMWs etc and then go and drive up and down an Autobahn with no problem.....

Thinking about it, the above must be true, for example winter tyres (yes that old chestnut!) rarely have a speed rating of over 135mph (I think that's what it is), but you can legally fit them to big BMWs etc and then go and drive up and down an Autobahn with no problem.....

In Belgium, you do need to have tyres with a speed rating at least equal to the theoretical top speed of the vehicle.

However, you can fit wintertyres from october till march (IIRC) with a lower speed rating, provided there is a warning sticker clearly visible for the driver. :ph34r: