Can you reverse a carling switch?

Anderzander

I've just bought an 'on / of'f and 'off / mom' carling switches - but they are wired the reverse to how I expected.

i.e. to turn them on I push the top of the switch, over the light, rather than the bottom where the larger number of dimples are ....

photo.jpg

The switch in the back ground is in the off position - where as I'd like the off position to be as in the one at the front.

Can I remove the front and flip it over? and if so how?

Any help gratefully received.

You can certainly take the front off. Muddstuff sell a plastic fork type tool that you slide under the rocker and lever it off. If you reverse the rocker, the led's are in the wrong place as they are in the main housing. Underneath it's a fairly straightforward rocker switch. With a bit of imagination you can alter most things on them but look very carefully at the miniature resistors that allow the led's to work - you'll find them under the slightly shorter springs that will ping off as soon as you open the main body! :huh:

It took me some time, but with a bit of re-wiring of the switch I managed to get the orange led on my spotlight switch to come on constantly when they are switched on, stay off when it was in the middle position but still come on when the spots come on with main beam. Been told it can't be done!

Malcolm

Malcolm - that's a bit more involved than I wanted to go, I've enough on to just get the jobs done that need doing at the moment :D

There are actually two types of Carling Switch. The ones you've got, and the ones you want! One is I think referred to as the american type. I think a switch is one type, and not able to be converted into the other.

Agggghhhh - Disaster!

I'll send an email to Mud and see what they say. All the pictures of dash set ups on their web site show the switches as I want them - rather than how I've got them.

Thinking outside the box here...

...turn the switch upside down? not perfect I know, but you get what you want and the LED in the right place.

I did think about turning them upside down - but i'd still be pressing the smooth lit section rather than the bit you're meant to press - and they'd, well, look upside down...

This is on the Mud website:

The switches ARB uses for its air-locker kits are Carling Technologies Contura II switches. ARB switches are compatible with the full range of Carling Switch Mounts and accessories. Please note that ARB switches rock the opposite way to our Carling switches. MUD Carling switches operate in the American style. Push the top to turn 'on'. ARB Carling switches operate by pushing the bottom to turn on.

Basically yes - so that when the bottom is in they are ON.

Not really an option now though - even if I could source the other type in an on/off and off/mom format I'd have to return these to mudstuff. I wish it was more clear on their website how the switches are orientated.

I bought some mud switches about a year ago and didnt realise that this was the case ether!

messed around with them a bit but gave up and just fitted them the way they are made to go. not really an issue when fitted but dose confuse other people.

I'm nearly sure on a cat digger (made in USA) we used to have that was fitted with Carling switches they operate in the correct way...having said that I think with American light switches in houses you do push in the top to turn on?

Ive a utv that I put some Carling switches on that came from http://www.croytec.co.uk/index.htm and as far as I remember they push down on the bottom to turn on....will double check later and report back.

just turn the switch facia panel then turn the switch the other way up, if you want the switch to light up when on run a jumper cable from the live out(pin 3) to the side light terminal (pin 8)

thats the way i've run mine, i know you loose the instrument light but who wants a dash like a boy racer, glaring back at you on a night drive,

hope this is of some use, :D

Bow..

Wow - lots of ideas!

All of them don't quite seem to deliver a switch that works as I thought it would though when I bought them. I'd emailed MUD and asked them about it - and they've offered a refund that I'll take them up on.

Croytec have confirmed the information above - that they sell versions orientated as per the usual European standard.

I might be being a bit pedantic - but I think a properly orientated switch will look better and be easier to use for where and what I want to use it for.

Thanks for all the input though - maybe this thread will help stop someone else buying the switches to be aware that they may be something different to what they want - and also give them a raft of work around ideas!

Wow - lots of ideas!

All of them don't quite seem to deliver a switch that works as I thought it would though when I bought them. I'd emailed MUD and asked them about it - and they've offered a refund that I'll take them up on.

Croytec have confirmed the information above - that they sell versions orientated as per the usual European standard.

I might be being a bit pedantic - but I think a properly orientated switch will look better and be easier to use for where and what I want to use it for.

Thanks for all the input though - maybe this thread will help stop someone else buying the switches to be aware that they may be something different to what they want - and also give them a raft of work around ideas!

Ill be looking for some more in the next couple of weeks, and my money will be going to croytec again this time, Ive have no issue with mud, BUT the switches they sell are backwards!